Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITM co-ordinates

• 03-08-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

If I wanted to record the ITM coordinates for a number of locations around the country that I was visiting as I visited them how could I do this? :confused:

Ideally I would use an app on my phone that would do this, if one exists?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

MacStacked wrote: »
    If I wanted to record the ITM coordinates for a number of locations around the country that I was visiting as I visited them how could I do this? :confused:

Ideally I would use an app on my phone that would do this, if one exsists?

I'm not sure about apps for phones, I'd say there is one. I would probably use a proper gps device (garmin etc...). Where you'd record the northings and eastings then you can convert them online to ITM etc... It is one of those things that comes under the remit of; "there's more than one way to skin a cat". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

Thanks el siglo.

Have looked at iphone apps and haven't been able to find one that pin points ITM. Would you have an idea of the approx. cost of a basic garmin gps device?

Ease of use and speed are important so having to go online and convert is not ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Thanks el siglo.

Have looked at iphone apps and haven't been able to find one that pin points ITM. Would you have an idea of the approx. cost of a basic garmin gps device?

Ease of use and speed are important so having to go online and convert is not ideal.

For a decent garmin gps you're talking around £100 (STG), this will give you a fix to within 2-3 metres for the x and y components (i.e. northings and eastings) and about a 10-20 metre margin of error for the z (height). They're a good system alright, I've used them out on fieldwork, they're pretty reliable everywhere, run on double A batteries, and very user friendly as well.

If you wanted to do some mental surveying then you're moving into differential gps and smartnet systems by the likes of Leica and the cost jumps up exponentially.

When I say going online, I mean this as in post-processing (i.e. usb cable, computer, gps when you're finished) and you take the data off the garmin and go through it and you can convert the points to whatever format you want then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

Ideally I would use an app on my phone that would do this, if one exists?

It's really unlikely that you'll find something that supports ITM, but that doesn't matter - you can convert easily enough.

The Garmin E Trex (or Trek, not sure) is a cheap and cheerful device that will record a waypoint, although you don't get a screen showing your live location. To see your co-ords you have to create a waypoint.

If you're using an Android, there are loads of apps to record GPS info. I presume Apple is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

The Garmin E Trex (or Trek, not sure) is a cheap and cheerful device that will record a waypoint, although you don't get a screen showing your live location. To see your co-ords you have to create a waypoint.

There is a screen that gives your location on an etrex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement