Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wastepal Price Increases.

Options
  • 03-08-2011 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just got a letter from wastepal telling me I am 20 euro overdrawn and that i should pay up quickly. I'm disgusted with them. Firstly I've been overdrawn for the last 2 years and there is never a problem, I just put on 60 or 80 quid when it got to about -50. Secondly they have almost doubled my monthly rate without even telling me. It used to be 8 euro a month plus a fiver if the waste bin was emptied. Now its 15.75 according to the letter. I am disgusted that they never even informed me of an increase especially one as massive as this. Has this happened anyone else?? I'm going to be leaving them anyway, if I can find anyone who comes close to their prices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

How dare they treat you like that. You put your crap out every week and you pay them when you feel like it. It's not on I tell you. I'd take my arrears elsewhere if I was you.
    WUM

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

You've been getting your waste collected on credit for two years.........quit complaning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

verbatim2 wrote: »
    Just got a letter from wastepal telling me I am 20 euro overdrawn and that i should pay up quickly. I'm disgusted with them. Firstly I've been overdrawn for the last 2 years and there is never a problem, I just put on 60 or 80 quid when it got to about -50. Secondly they have almost doubled my monthly rate without even telling me. It used to be 8 euro a month plus a fiver if the waste bin was emptied. Now its 15.75 according to the letter. I am disgusted that they never even informed me of an increase especially one as massive as this. Has this happened anyone else?? I'm going to be leaving them anyway, if I can find anyone who comes close to their prices.

eh, I'm highly confused ted. is the letter not telling you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Shop around - There may be others may be willing to take you on without checking your credit history .

= Just don't tell them that you have been in the red for the last two years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 verbatim2

brushci the letter was telling me to pay the 20 quid i owed. They had upped the price a month or two before without telling me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

No , but serious this time , ---- Ring Wastepal and tell them that you have a cheaper quote from a competitor , and I bet they will match them.

Try aes too

oldyouth wrote: »
    How dare they treat you like that. You put your crap out every week and you pay them when you feel like it. It's not on I tell you. I'd take my arrears elsewhere if I was you.
    WUM

Is all you do on here moan and take the piss out of people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

oldyouth wrote: »
    WUM

Is all you do on here moan and take the piss out of people??
    Nope. I give advice, I ask for advice and I give my opinion. Some things get the response I think they deserve. At all times I try and be polite about it. I hope that clarifies the situation and I thank you for your interest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

No , but serious this time , ---- Ring Wastepal and tell them that you have a cheaper quote from a competitor , and I bet they will match them.

Try aes too
    I did this. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

WastePal are a joke.

Dont text me to tell me what bins go out, so I forget, put out the wrong bin and they dont pick it up yet I still pay.

Then I want them moved to my new house and they charge me €20 for moving them

They can go boil their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

WastePal are a joke.

Dont text me to tell me what bins go out, so I forget, put out the wrong bin and they dont pick it up yet I still pay.

All bin companies will leave your bin uncollected if you put out the wrong one and charge you.They sent out every customer a calender with lists of dates for which bins to put out,handy to have as back up for a missed text.

Why didn't you simply bring your bins with you? They had to send somebody out to do that for you-of course there would be a charge and €20 is reasonable.

@The op,you are lucky that they continued to collect your rubbish despite your being in arrears for 2 years,perhaps doubling your monthly bill was a way of recouping the money you owe them?
    Anyone else would have driven by your bins seeing as you are in arrears,try getting away with not paying for anything else on time for 2 years and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

WastePal are a joke.

I get my weekly text from Wastepal and the one time that they missed collecting my bins - we're at the end of a cul-de-sac and the relief crew missed it - they had diverted a truck to us within hours of me telling them and emptied them no problems. They also collect on the scheduled day irrespective of bank holidays, they give me 3 bins (waste, recycling & compost) and I can put glass in the recycling bin. And they price match any operator.

On the whole, there's not a lot about their service for me to be unhappy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I get my weekly text from Wastepal and the one time that they missed collecting my bins - we're at the end of a cul-de-sac and the relief crew missed it - they had diverted a truck to us within hours of me telling them and emptied them no problems. They also collect on the scheduled day irrespective of bank holidays, they give me 3 bins (waste, recycling & compost) and I can put glass in the recycling bin. And they price match any operator.

On the whole, there's not a lot about their service for me to be unhappy with.

Wastepal told us too, over the phone that we can put glass in the green recycling bin .

We find that bizarre to say the least , but it is great to do so .

When I told them that AES were offering us 4 bins including a glass bin , they quickly told us to put the glass in the re-cycling bin.

Still , I cannot see how it is possible to separate broken glass from all the other recycling waste , but the technology today is wonderful .

Have a look at this movie , - Its interesting :

http://www.rehabglassco.ie/how_done.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 wastepal.com

Hi I am from Wastepal.

To respond to verbatim2 two points

Firstly, Wastepal sending you a letter to inform you that you are in arrears is a standard procedure, in the current climate as much as we want to help customers we have to make sure we get paid for the service we provide. The letter is intended to kindly remind you of your balance, not disgust you and is worded to reflect this message. (also to avoid getting this letter keep your account balance at or above zero)

Secondly your mention of Wastepal increasing prices is unfortunately incorrect. The package you are on increased only once on the 1/10/2008 and it increased from 13.25 to 15.75 per month. Its prices have not changed nor have we any plans to increase prices as we are committed to having the lowest prices in all markets that we operate and if you do ever find a cheaper price we will ALWAYS match it.

Also to point out to Griffin1988, you have to inform us that you want the text message reminder please contact us when it suits you and we can set it up. On your wrong bin out issue, unfortunately if you have the wrong bin out it’s not that we don’t want to empty it, it’s our aim to recycle as much as we can and if you have your waste bin out on recycling week empting one bin of waste into the recycling would ruin the whole load. (It is also illegal to mix waste types). If you have signed up to a fixed charge per month then yes the collection that you missed would have been paid for. As you have paid for it if you contact us we will always try and get the bin sorted asap.

We would hope that you never have issue’s with our service but if you ever do, do contact us we would be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Hey Wastepal guy, you didn't address the glass recycling issue as mentioned by the previous poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

I hadn't noticed an increase in the cost of my bins and was happy enough with the service I was getting. However last wednesday I put out my waste bin to be collected only for it to have either been stolen or tipped into the lorry along with the rubbish in it. I called Wastepal and had to make several calls only to be told today I would have to pay €30 for a replacement bin. I don't see why I should have to pay for a missing bin?

Anyway not happy with the service I've received on this I looked up AES who look to have a much more competitive package for me. I pay per lift and wouldn't always have enough rubbish/recycling to warrant putting the bin out to be collected. AES don't charge a monthly service charge on top of the fees per lift, Wastepal currently do.

So Wastepal, what are you going to do to keep me as a customer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

arseagon wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed an increase in the cost of my bins and was happy enough with the service I was getting. However last wednesday I put out my waste bin to be collected only for it to have either been stolen or tipped into the lorry along with the rubbish in it. I called Wastepal and had to make several calls only to be told today I would have to pay €30 for a replacement bin. I don't see why I should have to pay for a missing bin?

Anyway not happy with the service I've received on this I looked up AES who look to have a much more competitive package for me. I pay per lift and wouldn't always have enough rubbish/recycling to warrant putting the bin out to be collected. AES don't charge a monthly service charge on top of the fees per lift, Wastepal currently do.

So Wastepal, what are you going to do to keep me as a customer?

I agree. AES seem to be snapping up customers recently with this service.

One word of warning-if everybody abandons Wastepal and The Council bin services for AES,it will leave just one dominant player in the market with no competition and they'll be free to charge what they want as people will be left with no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Wastepal told us too, over the phone that we can put glass in the green recycling bin .

We find that bizarre to say the least , but it is great to do so .

I don't really care how they do it - I'm delighted not to have to trudge to the recycling centre with bags of clanky bottles and jars. And I'm also delighted not to have to find room for a 4th bin to allow me do it (3 is plenty). We have bin liners in our indoor bins so, rightly or wrongly, we leave the bottles in the liner and put the lot in. Hopefully it makes it easier to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

arseagon wrote: »
    AES don't charge a monthly service charge on top of the fees per lift, Wastepal currently do.

The AES website is very confusing imo but according to this there is a €150 a year service charge after Year 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Squiggle wrote: »
    The AES website is very confusing imo but according to this there is a €150 a year service charge after Year 1.

Well that's simple enough.. if they try to charge an annual fee after 12 months I'll simply shop around again :D

WastePal are a joke.

they tried to charge me before for moving too. i told them just cancel the account so, then they said they would do it for free.

Hi I am from Wastepal.

To respond to verbatim2 two points

Firstly, Wastepal sending you a letter to inform you that you are in arrears is a standard procedure, in the current climate as much as we want to help customers we have to make sure we get paid for the service we provide. The letter is intended to kindly remind you of your balance, not disgust you and is worded to reflect this message. (also to avoid getting this letter keep your account balance at or above zero)

Secondly your mention of Wastepal increasing prices is unfortunately incorrect. The package you are on increased only once on the 1/10/2008 and it increased from 13.25 to 15.75 per month. Its prices have not changed nor have we any plans to increase prices as we are committed to having the lowest prices in all markets that we operate and if you do ever find a cheaper price we will ALWAYS match it.

Also to point out to Griffin1988, you have to inform us that you want the text message reminder please contact us when it suits you and we can set it up. On your wrong bin out issue, unfortunately if you have the wrong bin out it’s not that we don’t want to empty it, it’s our aim to recycle as much as we can and if you have your waste bin out on recycling week empting one bin of waste into the recycling would ruin the whole load. (It is also illegal to mix waste types). If you have signed up to a fixed charge per month then yes the collection that you missed would have been paid for. As you have paid for it if you contact us we will always try and get the bin sorted asap.

We would hope that you never have issue’s with our service but if you ever do, do contact us we would be happy to help.

Wastepal

Thats a load of BS mr wastepal. I checked my text messages from last year and i was being charged 13.25 a month. this new letter tells me its 15.75 a month plus a fiver for waste bin. thats gonna be nearly 26 month. multiplied by 12 is 312 a year, plus 15 or 20 for compost bins is 325 or so. AES do a package for 270 a year.i'm moving to them. cant see how u go around changing people tariffs without selling them. I'm not complaining about the letter. this was just what brought the price change to my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sallysaucer101

I went to AES looking for skip hire and they wanted to charge me €315 per skip, so I gave Wastepal and got them for €270!

Called AES back and said I what I was quoted by Wastepal and they wouldn't match it or even come down a little bit. Even after I told them I needed 4!

So its Wastepal for me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 wastepal.com

Please note that Wastepal will only use this forum for correcting any false information for questions relating about our services you should contact us directly.

Verbatim2 our last post explains very clearly our past price increases, it might be best if you contacted us to discuss your account. Our last post also covered our price guarantee which guarantees that if you ever find a cheaper price we will always match it.

Please note that Wastepal will only use this forum for correcting any false information for questions relating about our services you should contact us directly.

Verbatim2 our last post explains very clearly our past price increases, it might be best if you contacted us to discuss your account. Our last post also covered our price guarantee which guarantees that if you ever find a cheaper price we will always match it.

You explained it but you have your facts wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

You explained it but you have your facts wrong.

can I ask what are you saying is wrong? the rep from wastepal says that they increased their prices, you sya they increased their prices, what exactly are you disputing here and saying the facts are wrong on?

bruschi wrote: »
    can I ask what are you saying is wrong? the rep from wastepal says that they increased their prices, you sya they increased their prices, what exactly are you disputing here and saying the facts are wrong on?

Verbatim2 started this thread to berate a company that he is in arrears with and expects sympathy despite said company (Wastepal) continuing to collect his bins despite being owed money.
    Usually if a person owes money for a service then said service is withheld until such time as the debt is cleared.Wastepal have been more than understanding by continuing to collect the bins despite being owed money,anyone else wouldn't have done so.
    I'm not sticking up for Wastepal but I've had them for 4 years now and never had a problem-maybe because I keep my account in credit with them using the prepay service.

Would the op not have been better served phoning them first instead of posting their grievance here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We will stay with Wastepal too..........:)

Their collection service has been excellent , including telephone / email contact .

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »

they said it was in 2008. but it was in the last 2-3 months.

Advertisement