Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insitute of Education Friday Evening/Saturday Morning classes?

• 03-08-2011 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

I just have a question about the Saturday morning/Friday evening extra classes in the IOE. I just enrolled for Applied Maths on Saturday morning for 5th year because they had no other class time but Saturday morning suits me best!! Except, I was looking at the 6th year timetable for Applied Maths and there is a class time for Friday evening AND saturday morning...sooo I was just wondering whether in 6th year do you have to do both classes or are the two times just there to give people more of an option!! Because I really can't do both classes in 6th year! Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

You choose which class suits you better in sixth year, making you go in twice a week would be cruel and completely unnecessary, it's a short course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭bren2001

I just have a question about the Saturday morning/Friday evening extra classes in the IOE. I just enrolled for Applied Maths on Saturday morning for 5th year because they had no other class time but Saturday morning suits me best!! Except, I was looking at the 6th year timetable for Applied Maths and there is a class time for Friday evening AND saturday morning...sooo I was just wondering whether in 6th year do you have to do both classes or are the two times just there to give people more of an option!! Because I really can't do both classes in 6th year! Thanks!!

Its the exqact same class on a Friday and Saturday, you pick one of them. 9 of the ten topics are covered in 6th year while 5 (i think) are covered in 5th.

The applied math grinds in the IOE are very very good. Oliver Murphy is one of the best teacher I have ever had. I don't know if he is still doing them, he is principal of Castleknock now. Shame if they got somebody else in, they could never match up.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

luciemc wrote: »
    You choose which class suits you better in sixth year, making you go in twice a week would be cruel and completely unnecessary, it's a short course!

Thanks! Yeah I thought that would be pretty cruel alright! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

bren2001 wrote: »
    Its the exqact same class on a Friday and Saturday, you pick one of them. 9 of the ten topics are covered in 6th year while 5 (i think) are covered in 5th.

The applied math grinds in the IOE are very very good. Oliver Murphy is one of the best teacher I have ever had. I don't know if he is still doing them, he is principal of Castleknock now. Shame if they got somebody else in, they could never match up.

Thank you! It's good to hear from someone who has experience of doing the course. I heard that Oliver Murphy is an excellent teacher and judging by your opinion, what I heard is obviously true! Only downsider is that I don't think he is teaching the course now. I have heard talk of Aidan Rowntree teaching Applied Maths in the IOE now but I amn't 100% sure. Ah well, I am sure Aidan Rowntree is an excellent teacher too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭bren2001

Thank you! It's good to hear from someone who has experience of doing the course. I heard that Oliver Murphy is an excellent teacher and judging by your opinion, what I heard is obviously true! Only downsider is that I don't think he is teaching the course now. I have heard talk of Aidan Rowntree teaching Applied Maths in the IOE now but I amn't 100% sure. Ah well, I am sure Aidan Rowntree is an excellent teacher too. :)

I'd actually love to be going back to that class as opposed to sitting in Engineering lectures where most of them are French and use symbols (french of course) I have never seen or heard of.

Aidan is alright, he is a friends uncle. Nice man, only attended one of his lectures and found him quite boring, granted it was a "special" lecture on Fourier Series/Transform, its application and use. Anybody would struggle to make the maths behind sound waves interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

I did applied maths in school but a few of my friends had Hillary Dorgan in there, said he was brilliant and absolutely hilarious!

Advertisement