Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are Airlines strict on baggage allowance?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi my son is heading back to Australia and he is trying to fit as much as possible into his case. He is flying with Singapore Airlines , does anybody know if they are strict about the baggage allowance? At the moment his case weighs twenty five kilos, if they charge for extra weight how much would it cost. His ticket says twenty kilos checked baggage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marksparks08

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Should have flown Emirates he'd have gotten 30kgs baggage allowance and most likely paid less than his ticket with Singapore airlines which will cost an extra $300 if they stick strictly to their limits as per the website. They are regarded as the best airline in the world to fly with though so he may get lucky and have them waive it, otherwise it would be far cheaper to post the stuff on to himself later costing €55 with An Post instead.

Don't forget to maximise the carryon baggage also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I flew Singapore the last time and my Bag was 26Kg and the wife's was 28Kg plus we had both 7Kg carry on. They never questioned it.

Singapore are a great airline

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

My mother is always overweight with luggage and every year we have tension heading to the airport. Singapore airlines were one of the worst ones. They got her down from 25kg to 21kg reluctantly after lots of tears and repacking and stuff being dumped in bins. I think your experience has a lot to do with the check-in staff at the airport on that day. This year she had her bag at 23kg and handluggage at 7kg. Got to the airport recently to discover that malaysian airlines had the hand luggage at 5kg. But no-one said anything. It is always a risk.

Can your son put some luggage in his carry-on bag if he is stopped at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

If flying from Ireland he should be ok as it is aer lingus that checks him through. My personal feeling is that they see your onword is Australia and flick you through.

From Sydney (my point of entry / exit) it is different as you are dealing with Singapore at check in. They are stricter as some of the bags that our Asian/sub continent friends appear with are absolutely stuffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭mail

just to let you know he checked in with twenty eight kilos and wasnt asked to pay for extre baggage, just as you said if checking in with Aer Lingus they probably let you go without charging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SlamDunk

I left Dublin last week and Aerlingus checked me through and I had 27.5 kilos and I had to pay 40Euro Per extra Kilo. Was raging because I couldn't find on the Singapore website that the baggage allowance was only 20kg - I thought it was 32 :( was very very annoyed! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

SlamDunk wrote: »
    I left Dublin last week and Aerlingus checked me through and I had 27.5 kilos and I had to pay 40Euro Per extra Kilo. Was raging because I couldn't find on the Singapore website that the baggage allowance was only 20kg - I thought it was 32 :( was very very annoyed! :(

No way!! So was that €300 you had to pay?

Thanks for tell us anyway, i'll be doing the same on thursday morning:D

rightyabe wrote: »
    No way!! So was that €300 you had to pay?

Thanks for tell us anyway, i'll be doing the same on thursday morning:D

Yes how crazy is that? :( was really annoyed about it. But perhaps another Aerlingus staff may have been more helpful...

no way, I would of took things out of me bag if it happened to me!!

Thats bloody crazy, thats nearly half the price of my flight to oz!!!

• Advertisement

no way, I would of took things out of me bag if it happened to me!!

Thats bloody crazy, thats nearly half the price of my flight to oz!!!

I know it was half my flight too. Just was too annoyed to start taking 7 kilos out as I had packed so well I thought - trying to bring stuff for summer and winter as it is cold here at night and early morning, but during the day is warm - it's all very strange. But was just too stressed to start unpacking and repacking.

Are you in Oz at the moment Rightyabe?

I know it was half my flight too. Just was too annoyed to start taking 7 kilos out as I had packed so well I thought - trying to bring stuff for summer and winter as it is cold here at night and early morning, but during the day is warm - it's all very strange. But was just too stressed to start unpacking and repacking.

Are you in Oz at the moment Rightyabe?

Na lad, leaving dublin at 07:30 thursday morning, landing in perth at 3 on friday, flying with singapore airlines to. Was just wondering was the planes all full to capacity? or was there loads of empty seats?

Na lad, leaving dublin at 07:30 thursday morning, landing in perth at 3 on friday, flying with singapore airlines to. Was just wondering was the planes all full to capacity? or was there loads of empty seats?

That was similar to my flight last week! :) I only arrived last Friday!
    Which way are you flying - I did Aerlingus to Amsterdam, Singapore airlines to Singapore and then Singapore airlines to Perth.

Aerlingus flight was quite full and other two flights were fairly full too. But had a seat free on my long flight from Amsterday to Singapore.

Tbh still a bit jetlagged.

Are you coming on your own?Work or travel?

That was similar to my flight last week! :) I only arrived last Friday!
    Which way are you flying - I did Aerlingus to Amsterdam, Singapore airlines to Singapore and then Singapore airlines to Perth.

Aerlingus flight was quite full and other two flights were fairly full too. But had a seat free on my long flight from Amsterday to Singapore.

Tbh still a bit jetlagged.

Are you coming on your own?Work or travel?

Yeah Aer Lingus from Dub-Heathrow, then SA for London-Singapore-Perth. Coming with me gf, money on the short side so hoping to get some work first and hopefully our 2nd visas, and then look for sponsorship. Might head by the east coast for Christmas/New Year not sure yet we'll see how it all goes.

What about you? work or travel? are you in construction?

Yeah Aer Lingus from Dub-Heathrow, then SA for London-Singapore-Perth. Coming with me gf, money on the short side so hoping to get some work first and hopefully our 2nd visas, and then look for sponsorship. Might head by the east coast for Christmas/New Year not sure yet we'll see how it all goes.

What about you? work or travel? are you in construction?

I'm a primary school teacher, no construction for me cos I'm a girl! LOL!
    Sounds very similar to my situation except I ended up coming out here alone - long story. Anyway I'm here in Perth looking for work - at the minute looking for any admin/receptionist/temp work to get a bit of money and to meet people. Staying with friends so its hard to meet more people as I'm not in a hostel. Way easier to meet people in a hostel. What's your plan when you get out here? Staying in hostel first? It's a pain finding houses - house share or whole house to rent.

Do you know for 2nd year visas you've to do mining/farming/fruit picking specified work for 3 months? I planned to do that towards end of my year if I stay that long!

I'm a primary school teacher, no construction for me cos I'm a girl! LOL!
    Sounds very similar to my situation except I ended up coming out here alone - long story. Anyway I'm here in Perth looking for work - at the minute looking for any admin/receptionist/temp work to get a bit of money and to meet people. Staying with friends so its hard to meet more people as I'm not in a hostel. Way easier to meet people in a hostel. What's your plan when you get out here? Staying in hostel first? It's a pain finding houses - house share or whole house to rent.

Do you know for 2nd year visas you've to do mining/farming/fruit picking specified work for 3 months? I planned to do that towards end of my year if I stay that long!

Sorry thought you were a lad:D
    we're booked into a hostel for 4 nights, and we'll take it how it comes, my dads cousin got in touch there and offered to rent out their holiday house in Fremantle to us, but we're not sure how long we'll stay about the city. The hostel we're staying in isn't a "party" hostel AFAIK, so we prob wont meet like minded people, ha. We'll try and get our regional work done as soon as possible so it gives us more time to find a sponsor, and lets us earn some badly needed $ straight away.

Yeah the specific work is a pain but all my friends who had to do it said it was the best thing they ever done, and would do it again only it can be in very remote areas, but they earned decent money and only got to a small town once a week to the shops so they saved loads:D

LOL not to worry - must have said something male -ish!

Yea I was going to do my regional work soon, just there's no fruit picking really at the moment - all I could see was olive pruning or something like that. See it's easier cos its the two of you coming. It's a lot harder on your own - I didn't think it would be, but it is. Would definitely be up for doing regional work - but as I've more or less found somewhere I want to live I don't want to pay rent for a month I'm away for. But will definitely be doing it next year if I decide to stay (think I said that already lol)

That's great you've somewhere to stay - Freo is so cool! Really loved it out there (I was in Perth on hols before). That's one less thing to worry about that you've somewhere to live!

Just so you know it's cold here - I thought that the Aussies were just being silly - but it is cold! You'll need a hoodie/coat for morning and night. During the day its hot for us - but today was wet. Just a little heads up! :)

Give me a shout if you like when you get out - its hard meeting people here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marksparks08

id say we all meet up in perth for drinks sometime after the 28th tho i dont arrive till then ;)

Advertisement