Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours CUT!!

• 03-08-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I have been working at my job for a year now and recently i found out that i had been being under paid by an hour a week, 39 hours istead of 40. so that the PRSI my job where paying was 0 in stead of 9 euro something. since then my manager has been very argumentative with me about stupid things like not ticking off my worksheet.

I am 5 months pregnant and get upset very easily at the moment and this doesn't seem to faise my manager when he is arguing with me.

we had a disagreement because he wanted to reduce my hours , and give them to a new employee, I thought this to be unfair as i have worked for a year and the new girl is in the door five minutes. After this disagreement he gave me a written warning , with no prior verbal warnings about not listening and not filling out my work sheets properly ( pathetic).

He is now threatening that if my 'work' does not improve I will have a cut in my hours. My contract does not state the hours i work but I have been regularly working 2 weeks 40 hours, then 32 hours then 40 hours each month.

I am a recptionist and also I do cooking and cleaning , I work on my own for an 8 hour shift with no breaks, and I cannot take breaks as there is no-one to cover.

I just want some peoples opinions on this - I don't feel i am being unreasonable but talking to my manager is like talkin to a child when they throw all their toys out of the pram.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sounds like a nightmare, working 8 hrs without a break is illegal as you know.

I take it your not in a union? Can you join one?

If there is an issue withe the amount of PRSI that is being paid for you, you may not get your maternity benefit. I'd advise you to call down to the tax office and get a statement of your PRSI contributions.

All you can do is do your best with the time sheets. Keep your nose clean and do you best not to get your hours reduced. Do you have a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

He's trying to get you to resign before you go on maternity leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If there is an issue withe the amount of PRSI that is being paid for you, you may not get your maternity benefit. I'd advise you to call down to the tax office and get a statement of your PRSI contributions.

I think the problem is that the extra hours pay is putting her into a higher PRSI bracket, meaning that the employer is having to pay a lot more than one extra hours pay for her - I'd be pretty certain that it's not an eligibility situation.

OP, if you do want to check, though, it's Welfare to ask, not Revenue. Revenue collect the money, but don't keep the records re this.

It's not what you want to hear, but I can't help wondering if giving a few of your hours to the new woman might make your manager happier and your work-life less stressful. So what if she's new - it really doesn't matter. How long to you plan to take for maternity leave? Do you plan to come back full time afterwards? Etc.

Oh, and make sure you get the paperwork right. You may not think it matters, but especially in sole-charge situations it's often way more important than you'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nathalfpint

Thanks a mil, i will be heading down to welfare next week , just want to make sure I have enough PRSI so I can get maternaty benefit . Think your right Mary , a little less stress is good. Just feel on a knife edge every time i walk into work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sorry, it may be the welfare that you get you statement of PRSI contributions from. ALl last is a bit hazy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement