Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what do you do with your free martins?

• 03-08-2011 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

wondering do you get rid of them at a young age or what ? do many people actually get any of them to go in calf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Just sold 1 a 3 yr old for 1100 in factory. better than shooting her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

st1979 wrote: »
    Just sold 1 a 3 yr old for 1100 in factory. better than shooting her

What breed/ weight?! ive one also and cant decide whether to kill her or run her through a mart (as is) she has never cycled:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

I always keep mine and if they don't go in calf at two years fatten them and send them to the factory

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Used to put them in freezer when I was dairying, now slaughter them at about 2 yr old, haven't had any last couple of yrs though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

had a 3 yr old to factory friday and she made 1240.never went in calf and was well fed with butcher heifers.she was fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

whelan1 wrote: »
    wondering do you get rid of them at a young age or what ? do many people actually get any of them to go in calf

I think the stats will tell you that about 5% will go in calf. Not that we had many but we would run them on to finish them for the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Bizzum wrote: »
    I think the stats will tell you that about 5% will go in calf. Not that we had many but we would run them on to finish them for the factory.
    that sounds about right, id suspect a bit less
    in regards to what you do with them ---- sell them with the rest of your stock i wouldnt bother keeping them for a 5 % chance of getting them in calf!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Mine was a holstein. Was selling all bull calves at the time tried offering her to the calf buyer but wouldn't take her was told to shoot her. Glad i didn't now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I always keep mine and if they don't go in calf at two years fatten them and send them to the factory

Same with ourselves

Although we have only had 1 in the last 10 years or so

Advertisement