Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best way to get back in the saddle

• 03-08-2011 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi ALL. Was wondering what people would recommend for getting back in the saddle. What distance should i aim for at the start and work up to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

brians947 wrote: »
    Hi ALL. Was wondering what people would recommend for getting back in the saddle. What distance should i aim for at the start and work up to.

Put distance out of your head this is a mistake most cyclists make imho.go out for time, just kep building up your time on the bike.
    start by doing 1 hour no more than that 30 minutes both ways.
    then build that up to 1.5 hours then 2 hours keep the 2 hour training going for a few weeks 3to4 times a week and stay out of big gears use the small chainring on the front and bigger cogs on the rear,

see how you get on in a few months .best of luck hope you stay at it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

the two things tha helped me most were:

1. Aiming to participate in a particular organised cycle, there are still quite a few of these left this Summer/Autumn. Most have distances aimed at beginners.

2. Cycling with a group - it is amazing how the miles just fly by when you are chatting with others on your cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In my experience, the best way to get back after a lay off, is simply that. Just get back on.

I always put it off cause I'm worried about how bad I'll be, how slow, how much better the others will be etc

All that achieves is making it worse. Don't bother with a 'plan' at first, just get out there. Whatever you do is great. Once to get a few under your belt you can start putting a plan together.

I would second the earlier advice to concentrate on time rather than distance, and to focus on a few short rides per week rather than one longer one. First, it will get the 'habit' formed and second I found that doing too long a cycle was killing me and putting me off. I cut the time in half for a few weeks and eventually built back up to the longer distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brians947

so its agreed i need to start of slow and concentrate on time not distance. I need to set myself a challenge and think i have found it. Im thinking the wicklow 200 next year. At worst the 100 but my goal should be the 200. I was able to do that sort of cycle years ago so i want to get to that level again. I work weekends so weekday cycles on the flat for a while to build up the legs and fitness then the odd little climb like howth head just to let the legs get used to climbing. Get comfortable doing that and then move on from there.

Advertisement