Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tenements TV3 - Wednesdays 9.30

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Starting tonight

Link
    For more than 100 years, Dublin harboured some of the worst slums Europe has ever seen. Grossly overcrowded tenement houses were breeding grounds of hardship, hunger and disease. Like many Dubliners, Bryan Murray, the presenter of this brand new TV3 series, is descended from tenement dwellers and in this opening programme he sets out to discover how the tenements first arose

Should be good, but TV3 shows never get a flow going because of all the ads in my opinion.

I like Bryan Murray, looking forward to this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Decent enough show tonight, not too sure about the moving people into no 7 for the weekend bit though, will be interesting to see how that pans out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Anyone should check out Strumpet City

It's up on youtube or Easons have the DVD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

pithater1 wrote: »
    Decent enough show tonight, not too sure about the moving people into no 7 for the weekend bit though, will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Its agreat premise but a weekend just isnt long enough for a proper social experiment..they should make it for three months like Channel4's excellent 1900 House and the even better Edwardian Country House,although it would probably need to be during the summer or the volunteers would perish!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I really enjoyed it.. looking forward to seeing how the family get on in that old house..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mikemac wrote: »
    Anyone should check out Strumpet City

It's up on youtube or Easons have the DVD

I enjoyed last nights program, My grandmother lived in henrietta place for a while,I am keeping a look out for her & members of my fathers family.

Looked at strumpet city again a few months back. A must see for a history of our city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Saw most of it last night, quite interested as me oul grandpappy lived in one that has now been demolished.

Is it on nightly or weekly?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

its weekly i think - i hope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On again next Weds at 10pm

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Rats & snow.

• Advertisement

Yikes, a couple and fourteen children in that small flat

These constant ad breaks :mad:

"women in the gyno ward getting 'repaired', not only from the constant childbirth, but from the constant sex too" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just watched it there, very interesting. the areas were very similar to spencer avenue where my mam grew up.
    she talks about cows running down the street:D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Seamonster

When I heard about this programme I was really interested, I think this part of Dublin´s history is really fascinating. I was very dissapointed to find that they could not resist turning it into another reality, fly on the wall show with just a different theme. Everything has to have a reality show slant on it these days. Especially with TV3. :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Seamonster wrote: »
    When I heard about this programme I was really interested, I think this part of Dublin´s history is really fascinating. I was very dissapointed to find that they could not resist turning it into another reality, fly on the wall show with just a different theme. Everything has to have a reality show slant on it these days. Especially with TV3. :mad:

Couldn't agree more. Show would have been perfect without this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Des wrote: »
    "women in the gyno ward getting 'repaired', not only from the constant childbirth, but from the constant sex too" :D

They'd want to have fannys like a jockeys bollix to withstand all that.

Seamonster wrote: »

To be fair, it's not all reality tv based. Much of it is interesting info and footage. The reality bit isn't bad as it adds a human story to it with the decendants of the dwellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I think it's a great documentary, but in all seriousness, they move into a tenement to try to copy the experience as best they can, then on night one they whip out camping beds and nylon sleeping bags, like wtf?!? :rolleyes:

Roaring fire, hot plate of stew, huge slice of bread, they seem to be doing alright for themselves, that's more then I'd eat for a dinner.

It wasn't as bleak as I was expecting

Angela's Ashes, now that was bleak and I thought the producers would have a setup like that

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Roaring fire, hot plate of stew, huge slice of bread, they seem to be doing alright for themselves, that's more then I'd eat for a dinner.

It wasn't as bleak as I was expecting

Angela's Ashes, now that was bleak and I thought the producers would have a setup like that

but it wasnt all bleak - we think it would be bleak looking back on it but for them is was normal life just the way our lives are normal. with ups and downs the same as every life.

Yes, the people had an horrendous life in our eyes but it was just normal to them, they didnt know any different.

i think the family living in the house is good, some of those people grow up in the house, and for them to be able to go back and realise what it was actually like is interesting again, because it the time it was normal for them to live like that.

i have to say i am enjoying it - to think that people lived like that up until the 70's is amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Is the 1st episode available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Yikes, a couple and fourteen children in that small flat

These constant ad breaks :mad:

Watch in online the next day - cuts out the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

martyoo wrote: »
    Is the 1st episode available anywhere?

No, we can't see it unless they air in again in the future. I emailed tv3 and asked as I too missed the first prog which I believe was excellent, much better than the next few to come. They said they only leave the programme online for 7 days. Gutted!

Advertisement