Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE News

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

RTE 9.00 news tonight .... there is a global economic crisis taking place, one of the middle-east's longest ruling dictators is on trial and RTE's lead story is a murder in Cork.

I wonder what goes through the mind of the people who make the decisions about the headlines ..... something important or something of a titilating, regional/local interest.

It's the sort of thing you'd expect from a TV3 but not from the state broadcaster.

Also, has anyone noticed that whenver RTE covers a murdert, the report always seems to follow the same format using the same language "the victim was named locally as .... Gardai are appealing for witnesses .... " I wonder if someone had the time (possibly me!) to compare the last 10 RTE murder reports and see how similar they are.

Generally, I am just trying to point out some sloppiness and laziness on RTE's part.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

ngmcd wrote: »

Also, has anyone noticed that whenver RTE covers a murdert, the report always seems to follow the same format using the same language "the victim was named locally as .... Gardai are appealing for witnesses .... " I wonder if someone had the time (possibly me!) to compare the last 10 RTE murder reports and see how similar they are.

There's not much more to say though, is there? And I'm guessing they're constrained by a lot of legal issues when reporting these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭brian_t

RTE 9.00 news tonight .... there is a global economic crisis taking place, one of the middle-east's longest ruling dictators is on trial and RTE's lead story is a murder in Cork.
    ....something important or something of a titilating, regional/local interest

I don't have a problem with the murder in Cork coming top of those three but it would certainly come before the start of the trial of Hosni Mubarak.
    Can a murder really be described as "titilating".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In fairness to them, as you said "Gardaí are appealing for witnesses". The quicker witnesses come forward chances of catching the killer are increased. Better to be possibly helping people than just informing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If someone wants to dwell on international news as a priority they should switch over to the sats. I have no problem with home news taking precedence on Telifis Eireann..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

TheChizler wrote: »
    In fairness to them, as you said "Gardaí are appealing for witnesses".

That precise expression appears 155 times on the RTE website!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bill_lehane

Ha! As a former online news journalist with RTE, I would say I am responsible for about half of those 155! In fairness, I think it is the fact it is used so often that makes it so honed, because when you think about it if you append 'to come forward' or 'to contact them' (two other common ones) to that phrase, it actually adds absolutely nothing. The only time you can make it individual is if there is a specific station or number to be dialed, otherwise i'm afraid it's business as usual :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

If someone wants to dwell on international news as a priority they should switch over to the sats. I have no problem with home news taking precedence on Telifis Eireann..

I do. RTE's not a local paper, a national broadcaster should have some sight on the outside world (particularly the world beyond the Anglosphere)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

I wonder what goes through the mind of the people who make the decisions about the headlines ..... something important or something of a titilating, regional/local interest.

It's the sort of thing you'd expect from a TV3 but not from the state broadcaster.

Generally, I am just trying to point out some sloppiness and laziness on RTE's part.

If it bleeds, it leads!!!

Old rules still apply obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

What is the point in appealing for witnesses if the incident has drug connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dewdrop wrote: »
    What is the point in appealing for witnesses if the incident has drug connections.

Because the RTE reporter always asks the Garda spokesman 'are you appealing for witnesses' to which the answer has to be 'yes'. I think the Gardai understand the same as the rest of us that expecting someone to come forward as a witness after a drug-related 'hit' is pretty fanciful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement