Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hottest curry in Dublin

Options
  • 03-08-2011 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

I've recently had the goan fire dish in bombay pantry, the vindaloo in bu ali and the chili masala in punjab balti, ranelagh.

They're all tasty but not as hot as I had imagined.

So...who actually does the hottest curry in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I wanted it really hot I would ask, and really go for it saying extra, extra, extra hot.

I have heard of people being refused or warned against extra hot, I suppose since they fear they will lose a customer, you might have to convince them you are well used to it. A mate of mine asking for super extra hot in one takeaway was told they would make this one just hot, and extra hot the next time he came in.

Maybe phone up putting on a fake Indian accent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yeah thats the trick I guess. I'll ask for extra hot next time.

It's interesting though. I can imagine places being wary of scaring customers off by serving them lava hot dishes.

I got a super hot curry in Namaste, Smithfield a few years ago - they warned me but I was adamant...and drunk. It was insanely hot but not so much that I couldn't taste the flavour of it. Fantastic. Some natural yoghurt or raita is always the first line of defense if things get really hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I had a curry at one of the Indians on South William Street (can't remember which one) which was so hot it almost made me cry. And it takes a lot to make me cry from hot food :)

I got something from Namaste recently and was very disappointed - not only the temp but the quality - just not very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ring the indian and ask them to do you a phall. its hotter than a vindaloo

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Spice and Rice is the only place I've ever seen phaal on the menu in Dublin. It was OK, though I've had hotter (and nicer tasting) vindaloos from Konkan but not consistently. If I was interested in hot-for-the-sake-of-it I'd be ordering from Konkan and asking for extra spice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dandelion6 wrote: »

I got something from Namaste recently and was very disappointed - not only the temp but the quality - just not very good.

Wow, thats surprising - did you get back onto them about it?.

I've eaten Indian all over the city and Namaste is the place I'd recommend every time - I actually drive from Dublin 13 to pick it up!.

If you order their vindaloo they'll warn you they do a particularly hot one - I've never been disappointed, and you get a free popadom.

Oh, and they're giving out loyalty cards atm - get it stamped everytime and I think its every 6th or 8th order is free.

I like Bombay sometimes, but nothing from there comes close to Namaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Most places will do Phaal but it's usually not on the menu.

Best bit is to ring ahead and ask, they normally oblige.

Anyone got a link for this Namaste place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

Justeat.ie have a menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

As Makikomi says Namaste is the nuts. Far and away the best curries I've had in Dublin and the daily 10 quid special is awesome value. Nowhere has done curries like I get in Bradford like Namaste

edit: Keane I think you live on the southside right? If so they dont deliver that far - based in Smithfield!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

I've recently had the goan fire dish in bombay pantry, the vindaloo in bu ali and the chili masala in punjab balti, ranelagh.

They're all tasty but not as hot as I had imagined.

So...who actually does the hottest curry in Dublin?

If you want "Hot Curry" try this.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/satans_ashes.htm

Great with a few mates and a couple of beers on standby. Just make sure you have youghurt for yourself :D

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    As Makikomi says Namaste is the nuts. Far and away the best curries I've had in Dublin and the daily 10 quid special is awesome value. Nowhere has done curries like I get in Bradford like Namaste

edit: Keane I think you live on the southside right? If so they dont deliver that far - based in Smithfield!

Yeah I'm on the SS alright but would definitely give a spin out the road to try the place with the feedback so good here!

I ate in the Indian/Pakistani place in Ranelagh a few weeks ago with my auld fella, both agreed it was the best meal we've had in a long, long time.

On the expensive side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Oh, and they're giving out loyalty cards atm

Yeah, it's deadly! You get a stamp every time you order a main and your ninth main is free. Such a good deal. Especially since me and my OH are savages who order three of their mains between just the two of us :p

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm on the SS alright but would definitely give a spin out the road to try the place with the feedback so good here!

I ate in the Indian/Pakistani place in Ranelagh a few weeks ago with my auld fella, both agreed it was the best meal we've had in a long, long time.

On the expensive side though.

remember what it was called? will give it a blast

They deliver to me in Crumlin! They've recently extended their delivery area so it's worth inquiring. It's great not having to drive down any more.

remember what it was called? will give it a blast

This is the place.

Kinara Kitchen it's called.

cosmic wrote: »
    They deliver to me in Crumlin! They've recently extended their delivery area so it's worth inquiring. It's great not having to drive down any more.

I'm waaaaaay south at the moment but I'm moving to Ranelagh in two or three weeks so hopefully that'll be close enough.

Oh cool. Still guessing they wont deliver as far as Blackrock/Stillorgan though :(

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is the place.

Kinara Kitchen it's called.

Ahh, i was at their place in Contarf maybe a month ago now and it was lovely. Didnt know they had one closer, sweet! Cheers

Oh cool. Still guessing they wont deliver as far as Blackrock/Stillorgan though :(

Probably not :( Sorry!

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's deadly! You get a stamp every time you order a main and your ninth main is free. Such a good deal. Especially since me and my OH are savages who order three of their mains between just the two of us :p

I couldn't remember which meal you got free.

I have a card in my car and one in work - who ever is luckiest to be on the nine shift gets the freebie 'cause we all eat out of Namaste.

I only found out last week that they're actually there 14 years!.

I got the recommendation from someone on this forum and haven't looked back.

I actually tried it out based on your rave reviews, believe it or not! Apart from the odd dabble with Konkan I'm a solid supporter of Namaste now too!

I actually tried it out based on your rave reviews, believe it or not! Apart from the odd dabble with Konkan I'm a solid supporter of Namaste now too!

Oh thank :)

Funny thing is I first parked outside it and thought 'noooo f*cking way' and drove off but I was starving and dying for India so came back around and ordered - am I glad I did!.

I couldn't remember which meal you got free.

I have a card in my car and one in work - who ever is luckiest to be on the nine shift gets the freebie 'cause we all eat out of Namaste.

I only found out last week that they're actually there 14 years!.

:cool:

Still waiting on that pint you owe me for the find!

Looks like im ordering indian tonight anyway. Damn thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ahh, i was at their place in Contarf maybe a month ago now and it was lovely. Didnt know they had one closer, sweet! Cheers

Kinara Kitchen is excellent - probably my current favourite Indian restaurant (it's displaced Ananda & Jaipur). Not cheap but very good.

Love their champ plate - tandoor lamb chops served with veg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Must see if Namaste will deliver to me. Spice n Rice has gone downhill for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One of the hottest I've had was Namaste's vindaloo which I asked to be made hot - very nice too (along with 1.5l of milk).
    Outside of that, not much although I did find a fiery dish in Koh last year which I had asked the chef to make extra hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Must see if Namaste will deliver to me. Spice n Rice has gone downhill for me.

Only had S n R once a while back and I didn't like it. Can't wait to give Namaste a go now as I was a bit put off by the look of the shop.
    Jaipur in Howth made us a special extra hot sauce off menu that was the mutt's and no extra charge. It wasn't blast furnace but for the bad boys it hit the spot and kept it's flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Live quite close to spice n rice. Walk by it a fair bit and the emerging aromas make the auld mouth water. Big fan of spice, will check out their stuff to see what It's like.

had extra hot chilli and basil beef in Koh a while back, brought a tear to the eye :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

had extra hot chilli and basil beef in Koh a while back, brought a tear to the eye :)
    That's the one I had! Made even more intense when I couldn't get a waiter's attention for a drink...

Advertisement