Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hottest curry in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

LEDO BEDO in this place http://www.montys.ie/home.html asked for it extra hot and it was the hottest thing I have ever tasted. or not tasted as the case may be.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I only found out last week that they're actually there 14 years!.

Sort of, they used to be around the corner on Church Street.

Really surprised at all the rave reviews they're getting here, maybe I just went there on an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

If it's a gandhi's revenge you are after make sure you leave the toilet roll in the fridge at least 12 hours beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Oh cool. Still guessing they wont deliver as far as Blackrock/Stillorgan though :(

In my opinion Akash in Blackrock is probably the best Indian in the whole city. They will do you a proper HOT curry if that's what you're looking for. I recommended it to an Indian colleague of mine who has lived in Ireland for a long time and he said in all his years in the country it was the most authentic and the closest to home as far as "heat" was concerned. The standard of their ingredients really is excellent.

Jewel in the Crown in Ballsbridge also drive me crazy for their jalfrezi :mad: I ask for it super hot and they are only too happy to oblige, I'm talking whole chillis. Definitely worth sampling. :)

Khans Balti in Donnybrook is also worth a try, they are always generous with the heat

Chandni in Ballsbridge is lovely although I find their flavouring a little too delicate for my tastes, I'd prefer something that blows my head off.

God I want a curry now and it's not even midday :o:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    In my opinion Akash in Blackrock is probably the best Indian in the whole city. They will do you a proper HOT curry if that's what you're looking for. I recommended it to an Indian colleague of mine who has lived in Ireland for a long time and he said in all his years in the country it was the most authentic and the closest to home as far as "heat" was concerned. The standard of their ingredients really is excellent.

Jewel in the Crown in Ballsbridge also drive me crazy for their jalfrezi :mad: I ask for it super hot and they are only too happy to oblige, I'm talking whole chillis. Definitely worth sampling. :)

Khans Balti in Donnybrook is also worth a try, they are always generous with the heat

Chandni in Ballsbridge is lovely although I find their flavouring a little too delicate for my tastes, I'd prefer something that blows my head off.

God I want a curry now and it's not even midday :o:eek::D

My new housemate just recommended Akash to me and threw me a menu. Prices look fairly decent too!

Will have to give all these a try to suss out whats best. Poor me....

I also should probably not read this until evening as I really would love a curry now. :D

• Advertisement

Trust me, if you're a curry officianado then you will love Akash! It really is a nyumfest.

I must stop posting on this thread as all I can think of is curry since I posted earlier :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ixoy wrote: »
    One of the hottest I've had was Namaste's vindaloo which I asked to be made hot - very nice too (along with 1.5l of milk).
    Outside of that, not much although I did find a fiery dish in Koh last year which I had asked the chef to make extra hot.

believe it or not but a cup of coffee or tea is better if your mouth is burning, a cold drink opens your pores and lets more of the 'burn' in.

Tried Akash there Friday night. Really disappointed. Bland curry with not nice sauces. I asked for it hot and there was zero kick to it. Will give them another chance but was not impressed at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Tried Akash there Friday night. Really disappointed. Bland curry with not nice sauces. I asked for it hot and there was zero kick to it. Will give them another chance but was not impressed at all

Dammit, I'm off tomorrow night and was going to take a drive out from Dublin 13 - think I'll play it safe, its a long drive.

Dammit, I'm off tomorrow night and was going to take a drive out from Dublin 13 - think I'll play it safe, its a long drive.

I will try em one more time and play it safe with a chicken tikka but if that fails my standards then theyre off the list. Will report back!

• Advertisement

Aw no, I am so disappointed to hear that :( I'm really surprised as I've never had a bad curry from there. Hmmmm, I'm hoping they haven't changed management or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

believe it or not but a cup of coffee or tea is better if your mouth is burning, a cold drink opens your pores and lets more of the 'burn' in.

That's not true, milk is better as it washes away the capsaicin from your tongue and mouth, easing the pain. And sugary drinks too.

PS People have even written scientific papers on it! http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/003193849090067E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jaybro

Vindaloo from the Bombay Grill House blew my head off.

jaybro wrote: »
    Vindaloo from the Bombay Grill House blew my head off.

Where are they based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Where are they based?

On Clanbrassil Street. I've never tried the food form there, I'd normally go up the road from them, to Konkan, if I was getting an Indian locally. Must give them a go so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

So gave Namaste a lash tonight, OH went with the lamb Tikka and was happy with that. I decided to go the whole hog and asked for a chicken Phaal off menu.
    Very nice helpful staff and compared to a lot of the local Chinese TA's a good bit cheaper.
    Was it hot? yes, Did I need jugs of ice water, put the bog role in the fridge, break out the sudocream, early days yet but no.
    I did enjoy the meal but I wanted a burn out and didn't get it.
    Maybe when they get to know me better.

So post Nom Nom, no adverse results.
    I will give them another go or two and will use the loyalty card.
    They are very well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Anyone doing Ghost Chili in Dublin?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I bought some seeds but they never took. Making do with my habaneros this year.

cgarrad wrote: »

Blitzed a full packet of Aldi Dried Habanero Chilli Peppers and added as "An extra bit of heat" to a salsa.
    Being horses of men we shook our heads through the tears to the "It's a bit hot" from the only sane person in the room.
    "Nat a tall" or whatever our mouths could come up with.
    CAUTION do not try this:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A longtime Konkan loyalist, I gave Namaste a go this evening, following the recommendations in the thread. Well, you were right about the heat of the vindaloo: hell of a rush. They seem to use lots of chopped green peppers which gives the curry more of a vegetable taste.

I think on balance though, I still prefer Konkan. They use more butter in their sauce, the quality of their meat is better and their portions are bigger, and they're slightly cheaper too (if ordering plain steamed rice).

But if you're after the endorphins I definitely recommend giving Namaste a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Kashmir in Stonybatter do a Ceylon currie but they dont recommend it as they will have to call an ambulance after it.
    Was there last Sunday for lunch my mate chickened out:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

cgarrad wrote: »

the eastern european grocers beside lenehans hardware in rathmines sells ghost chilli

Hootanany wrote: »
    Kashmir in Stonybatter do a Ceylon currie but they dont recommend it as they will have to call an ambulance after it.
    Was there last Sunday for lunch my mate chickened out:D

What's the place like, take away or sit down, which side of the road, used to be called?
    Thanks.

No1J wrote: »
    What's the place like, take away or sit down, which side of the road, used to be called?
    Thanks.

Both used to called Green Chilli

Hootanany wrote: »
    Both used to called Green Chilli

Is it the same guy's different name, I men't to go so many times but the reviews were pretty poor, take away good, sit down bad?

Not to sure defo new owners

Did you have the Celon curry or did they warn/advise you of it, i'd be interested in a take away but no web or menu avaliable. Are they doing take away at the moment, I rang the old number but it's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lacplesis

After reading this thread, the better half an I decided to give Namaste a try. What a disappointment. I had the lamb vindaloo, it was sort of hot but the taste was not nice at all. The better half had a vegetable curry (can't remember what) which was supposed to be hot as well, it turned out to be the blandest thing I have tried that is being sold as curry. Oh well, never again. I don't believe in second tries if the first one was so bad.

New attempt: Indian Taste in D3. The Phal was very tasty and HOT. So hot that I could not finish my dish! Tis the morning after, and I am loving some hot chicken for breakfast :) The veggie vindaloo is okay (tasty stuff and HOT), the standard problem: frozen veggies. I understand how you would use frozen peas, but frozen carrots/potatoes/etc for that price-tag are not so nice. Nonetheless I'll order again, the phal is certainly worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BeerNut wrote: »
    A longtime Konkan loyalist, I gave Namaste a go this evening, following the recommendations in the thread. Well, you were right about the heat of the vindaloo: hell of a rush. They seem to use lots of chopped green peppers which gives the curry more of a vegetable taste.

I think on balance though, I still prefer Konkan. They use more butter in their sauce, the quality of their meat is better and their portions are bigger, and they're slightly cheaper too (if ordering plain steamed rice).

But if you're after the endorphins I definitely recommend giving Namaste a try.

I haven't found anywhere to come even close to Namaste, but I'd like to give this Konkan place a try - where is it?.

Advertisement