Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move from Eircom to UPC? Mad?

• 03-08-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello

I am a happy camper with (up to!) 8megs eircom wireless broadband. I use Macs with Apple TV plus Sonos system in a 3 storey house.

I am tempted to move to UPC Fibre as I can basically get free TV + phone + higher 25/50mg speed for the same price as my basic eircom broadband service (2 lines)

However I'm concerned about the issues I read here regarding the modem/router problems and that I may end up ruining a set-up that works fine right now. Plus I'm not a techie.

If I move to UPC will it hurt?
    Will i regret it?
    Or do folks with problems only post and maybe 000's of UPC folks have moved without problems?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Going for 50 meg means you avoid the Cisco modem and get the better Thomson. There's also the benefit of a clear conscience by not giving any money to Eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

askmyarse wrote: »
    Hello

I am a happy camper with (up to!) 8megs eircom wireless broadband. I use Macs with Apple TV plus Sonos system in a 3 storey house.

I am tempted to move to UPC Fibre as I can basically get free TV + phone + higher 25/50mg speed for the same price as my basic eircom broadband service (2 lines)

However I'm concerned about the issues I read here regarding the modem/router problems and that I may end up ruining a set-up that works fine right now. Plus I'm not a techie.

If I move to UPC will it hurt?
    Will i regret it?
    Or do folks with problems only post and maybe 000's of UPC folks have moved without problems?

Any advice greatly appreciated

As there is no doubt that a lot of UPC customers are having issues at the moment why not wait a while and see if the issues are resolved?

My only direct experiences of the UPC problems are though a friend who got bb installed a few weeks ago and the issues reported here in relation to dropped wireless and channel resets began within half an hour of the installer leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

If it's avaliable you should go for it, have UPC broadband about three years and the difference comparing to eircom is unbeliveable. Eircoms prices are extotionate. If UPC is in your area you should go for it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    As there is no doubt that a lot of UPC customers are having issues at the moment

Equally applies to Eircom.:rolleyes: It's a no-brainer. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

UPC are not perfect.

But they are hands down the best internet provider in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Hello!

I currently have the UPC 30meg internet package that comes with Television as well (Sorry I can't remember the name or exact price).

We got this installed just after January. At first we really loved the speed and ease of the internet and rarely had problems.
    The last few months has seen the internet go down hill, it started by getting slightly slower and sometimes cutting out to now where it's been cutting out every few minutes for the last couple of days. It's incredibly annoying as it works, then stops, then works for a while and you think it's all over until is starts all over again.

AGHHHH!

Like someone already said, the Cisco router which we have could be the problem and I've heard the Thompson router is much more reliable.

I went to stay at my Grandparent's house recently and they have a pretty old Eircom connection which they never bothered updating and even that was faster, in fact it was MUCH faster and never cut out. I could even go to the furthest part of the house which involves the connection going through many Granite walls and it still stayed connected...

For the price we're paying the TV is fine, but the internet is just getting to be a nightmare.

If you can get the Thompson router that might be a safer bet, but the Cisco router is god awful.. it even looks cheap.
    (Sorry for the long rant but UPC should have a better internet service when you're paying quite a bit of money for something that barely works)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I'm on UPC 25meg broadband and couldn't be happier. Having said that I specifically requested the Scientific Atlanta modem and use my own wireless router.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Equally applies to Eircom.:rolleyes: It's a no-brainer. Go for it.

In case you hadn't noticed the op in this case isn't having any problems and has a fairly elaborate set up which is working satisfactorily. If the op opts for a UPC product with the Cisco there is no guarantee given the amply documented evidence on boards that he wont have similar problems.

Waiting for a resolution of the problems or opting for one of the higher products which do not involve the Cisco as another poster has suggested would seem the logical suggestion rather than a gung ho "go for it". No brain perhaps?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,206 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I was with Eircom for years and had one MAJOR problem............ their prices!

On the technical side, never any major problems really.

Switched over to UPC and after a few initial hiccups i'm delighted with my Broadband. It's much faster, cheaper and I no longer have to overpay on my phone bill either.

Also they don't have the cheek to tell me which websites I can and can't visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

UPC have their issues, dodgy installtions, bad customer support, bills occasionaly impossible to follow, and absolutely woeful cable tv providers.

But I really can't fault their internet. Fast, very rarely drops, very very reasonable with d/l caps. And I find the price reasonable.

The modem (netgear) they provide you with isn't the best, but it isnt terrible.

To summarise : UPC TV = crap

UPC Phone + Internet = Not too bad at all.

This is just my opinion/experience of course though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,206 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You're right about the TV. Horrible! We had the TV, Phone and Broadband package and we went back to Sky after a few months but kept the others

• Registered Users Posts: 8 askmyarse

Thanks everyone for the invaluable advice

If I go for the 50 meg should I opt for the Thompson or Scientific Atlanta model? (assuming set-up isn't too challenging on either)

I'm concerned ultimately about wireless range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Thanks everyone for the invaluable advice

If I go for the 50 meg should I opt for the Thompson or Scientific Atlanta model? (assuming set-up isn't too challenging on either)

I'm concerned ultimately about wireless range

On the 50MB Package, you will only be able to use the Thompson modem. Wireless range is fine, in my experience.

Just on a side note - only people with problems with the service whinge about UPC - which is a small number of people, compared to the amount of customers UPC actually has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

dub45 wrote: »
    In case you hadn't noticed the op in this case isn't having any problems and has a fairly elaborate set up which is working satisfactorily. If the op opts for a UPC product with the Cisco there is no guarantee given the amply documented evidence on boards that he wont have similar problems.

Waiting for a resolution of the problems or opting for one of the higher products which do not involve the Cisco as another poster has suggested would seem the logical suggestion rather than a gung ho "go for it". No brain perhaps?:rolleyes:

You're getting SOOO predictable at this stage Dub45!:D Yes, if you're prepared to continue paying over the odds for 8 megs. We're in a recession, you know.

For what it's worth, OP (this is a Cisco combination modem/router job):

1416926948.png
    44708280.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Simon201

Will i regret it?

Thought exactly the same. Was with UTV, very little downtime in 7 years etc.
    Went with UPC, didn't regret it at all. My speeds (50mb) have increased 10 fold since January. 500gb download cap. Paying maybe 5 or 6 euro less than I was before. Working fine on Macs. 50/100 mb with the thompson router seems to be more reliable.

No, they're not perfect. What internet provider or TV provider is? And yes, only people with problems are more likely to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I only installed mine last night !

I admit, I was jacked and its not quite finished but got various reports from speedtest.net

On a 50 meg connection, thomson router, I got from 7meg to 34meg. I did take someones advice and buy some N USB dongles so when I fit them to my laptops, hopefully tonite, I should get a more stable D/L.

Just be aware, if you sign up to (some) bundles, in DID or CURRYS or some others, you get a voucher for €250 to spend in that store.

I am supposed to get mine, 30 days after installation and its for DID electrical.

My phone does not seem to be changed yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Not mad at all...

Avoid the Cisco modem at all costs otherwise it's fine and does all the complicated stuff I want just fine.

(Of course I have the scientific atlanta and my own router)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 skins1983

Depends on if the connection dropping out will effect you. I enjoy gaming online(the whole reason I got broadband) and its a pain in the arse to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 skins1983

Oh and with UPC can you move from a cisco router to a thompson or is there an extra charge ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Only if you upgrade the package to 50 or 100 megs.

• Advertisement

Moved to UPC
    Opted for 100 meg package.
    Newish IMac (2 rooms away) only picking uo 6 meg download

UPC embarrasingly useless in solving issue. (shambolic service)

Can nyone suggest an apple friendly solution?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Moved to UPC
    Opted for 100 meg package.
    Newish IMac (2 rooms away) only picking uo 6 meg download

UPC embarrasingly useless in solving issue. (shambolic service)

I assume the connection is wireless? As a test, did you try a wired connection from the computer to the router/modem?
    Can nyone suggest an apple friendly solution?

Sure, call AppleCare, I am sure they will be happy to sell you an Airpot Extreme for €160.

Seriously, what kind of solution are you looking for? I am writing this from a Macbook wirelessly connected to a UPC Cisco modem, works perfectly with download speeds of 19 Mbps (on a 20 Mbps service) and upload speeds in excess of 2 Mbps.

Connection is wireless.
    Hardwired laptop and it was fine (97 megs)

Wireless desktop and laptop speeds circa 7 megs.

Looking for wireless solution for 3 storey house with decent download speeds

Connection is wireless.

So why are you complaining about UPC then? Their service works perfectly.

Regarding your wireless issue, the first thing you can do is try to switch to a different channel:
    - go to http://192.168.1.1
    - click on Setup > Wireless > Basic, then under New Channel switch from Auto to a specific channel. Try 1, 6 and 13.

If that doesn't fix it, then you will have to but an additional access point or router, run a cable from the modem to the new access point and by this extend the coverage to the other floors of the house.

Connection is wireless.

So why are you complaining about UPC then? Their service works perfectly.

Regarding your wireless issue, the first thing you can do is try to switch to a different channel:
    - go to http://192.168.1.1
    - click on Setup > Wireless > Basic, then under New Channel switch from Auto to a specific channel. Try 1, 6 and 13.

If that doesn't fix it, then you will have to buy an additional access point or wireless router, locate it closer to where your devices are, run a cable from the modem to the new access point and by this extend the coverage to the other floors of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Connection is wireless.

Wireless desktop and laptop speeds circa 7 megs.

No ISP can provide a service like that. Wifi is an added bonus, not a guarantee. You will find it practically impossible to span 3 floors with a Wifi router. It is possible to get close to 100Mbps on Wifi, but usually only at close range, with no interference, and nothing in the way (like walls and floors). What you're looking for is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

To span 3 floors correctly you will need to install at least one wireless APN on each floor and even this wont guarantee you full coverage. For 100mb obviously these will need to be type n and will have to be hardwired to the UPC router.

Advertisement