Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed-type of frame

Options
  • 03-08-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am considering building a 2700sq/ft bungalow.. The Main living,kitchen,snug etc is going to be open planned. I plan on doing the house by timber frame but i was wondering would it be possible to build a house using timber frame when im tryin to achieve such an open plan space..would i have to use a steel frame?? could i use both,maybe do the bedroom wing in timber frame and main area in a steel frame,any advice would be great as i intended to project manage myself !!:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jtimmons54 wrote: »
    I am considering building a 2700sq/ft bungalow.. The Main living,kitchen,snug etc is going to be open planned. I plan on doing the house by timber frame but i was wondering would it be possible to build a house using timber frame when im tryin to achieve such an open plan space..would i have to use a steel frame?? could i use both,maybe do the bedroom wing in timber frame and main area in a steel frame,any advice would be great as i intended to project manage myself !!:eek:
    it should be possible to it all in timber, you may need a timber support post if the spans are very large (that's all I should say on this forum as you need an engineer... )
    Its clear you will need professional advice, and please get an arch/ arch tech to specify and detail everything, not just to go for planning .
    From my reading of the above you will need someone to fall back on and to ask questions to during the build, especially if you go the self-build route.

may I suggest you start with this http://www.passivehouseacademy.com/downloads/New-Build-Passive-House-Guidlines.pdf also get a subscription to this http://constructireland.ie/

best of luck

Advertisement