Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please!

Options
  • 03-08-2011 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Ok, I started building my computer and got all the parts together correctly (I'm almost certain). I did an external build and connected up the power supply but I'm not sure what pins to short or if I can even do it with my motherboard. I tried it with a screwdriver on a few different pins but to no avail.

The only reason I did an external build is because of a Newegg video I saw. But now I'm worried that I've damaged something or put the parts together wrong and have no idea which ones. Should I be worried about this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

What motherboard is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-US2H 760G

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

if you look in your manual it should give you a layout of where all the connections go. it should show you two pins that are for the power. (the harddrive led and the reset button are located in the same area) you just need to connect these together with the screwdriver until it starts to boot and then remove

deejer wrote: »
    if you look in your manual it should give you a layout of where all the connections go. it should show you two pins that are for the power. (the harddrive led and the reset button are located in the same area) you just need to connect these together with the screwdriver until it starts to boot and then remove

Thank you. I had seen that harddrive led thing but it was very badly labelled on the board and in the mannual (as most of the instructions have been) and I was trying to short the wrong things.

Thanks again

Ok, I've come across a new problem.

Before I put everything in the case, I did another external build where I plugged the wires from the case into the motherboard to get to know the case before I put everything in. I connected the wires, pressed the button on the case and everything turned on.

So I put everything into the case, spent two painful days connecting all the cables and pressed the button to turn it on. And nothing happened! Unbelievably disheartening and I don't know what caused it.

The only possible thing I can think of is that I put the wires from the power/reset buttons in wrong (but if I have, I don't know where to put them) and that the graphics card doesn't look like it's in totally because it won't fit. Other than those, I can't even guess at what caused it

Any ideas or suggestions or anything? Please help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

It should show you in the manual which pins are for power and reset etc. Make sure they're the right way around so that + and - on the socket match with the board.

Manual

169657.png

The connector should be marked but if it isn't, you can always just try the other way around.
    Also check that the motherboard has both power connectors. The 8 pin (or 4) and the 24 pin (or 20).
    Finally, make sure that the CPU fan is plugged in.

Monotype wrote: »
    The connector should be marked but if it isn't, you can always just try the other way around.

I'll try just turning them around, because that's really the only thing I can think could be wrong. I have both power connectors plugged in

Actually, I think it only really matters with the LEDs which way around they are. Still, worth make sure it's the right one in the right place.

The CPU fan has to be connected to the CPU header. Do you see evidence of power reaching your components?

Actually, I think it only really matters with the LEDs which way around they are. Still, worth make sure it's the right one in the right place.

Well I've tried them all several different ways and nothing seems to make a difference
    The CPU fan has to be connected to the CPU header. Do you see evidence of power reaching your components?

The CPU fan is connected and no, there's absolutely no evidence of power reaching the components

So no LEDs lighting up on the board?

I would check the PSU so. Unplug your system.

Check cable to PSU is ok.
    Ensure that the switch for the PSU is on (at the back of the PSU).
    Check those PSU -> motherboard connectors again. Take them out and plug them in. Make sure the wires are in good condition and they are very secure in the board.
    Plug it in at the wall - check that that socket is still getting power. You never know when a switch might have tripped.

• Advertisement

So no LEDs lighting up on the board?

I would check the PSU so. Unplug your system.

Check cable to PSU is ok.
    Ensure that the switch for the PSU is on (at the back of the PSU).
    Check those PSU -> motherboard connectors again. Take them out and plug them in. Make sure the wires are in good condition and they are very secure in the board.
    Plug it in at the wall - check that that socket is still getting power. You never know when a switch might have tripped.

Did all that, nothing!

Plugged everything out, except for the stuff that I used in the external build boot, nothing!

So I suppose I broke something. This has to be the worst feeling in the world :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Lago wrote: »
    Did all that, nothing!

Plugged everything out, except for the stuff that I used in the external build boot, nothing!

So I suppose I broke something. This has to be the worst feeling in the world :(

Thats pretty unlikely if it was working before. Chances are its just something small thats not plugged in or missing. If it was working externally I would guess the problem could be motherboard grounding. Make sure you have all the standoffs installed correctly.

deconduo wrote: »
    Thats pretty unlikely if it was working before. Chances are its just something small thats not plugged in or missing. If it was working externally I would guess the problem could be motherboard grounding. Make sure you have all the standoffs installed correctly.

Well, I'm going to take the motherboard out now and try the external build again. If that is what's wrong though, wouldn't that short the board and break it?

Edit: Well I tried the external build. I put everything together and pressed the power button on the case. The PSU fan starts spinning. Then the CPU cooler fan spins a tiny bit and then stops. Then the PSU fan stops spinning and then nothing else happens. Pressing the power button again and nothing happens, I have to unplug the power button and reset button wires and re-plug them before the power button will work.

So yeah, I must have broken something, somehow

Advertisement