Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hogget ewes prices

• 03-08-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭

need to buy 50 hogget ewes to keep up no.s , just heard some people talking 200 euro ahead or more ,was always told to put the price of a lamb and a cull ewe to buy back a hogget ewe!!!!!!!! how do people expect to make a profit from these . will the price of lambs go through the roof later on with the price of cattle,

is there anyone getting into sheep again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

need to buy 50 hogget ewes to keep up no.s , just heard some people talking 200 euro ahead or more ,was always told to put the price of a lamb and a cull ewe to buy back a hogget ewe!!!!!!!! how do people expect to make a profit from these . will the price of lambs go through the roof later on with the price of cattle,

is there anyone getting into sheep again

we sold culls at €114

we are fully stocked , but I would buy ewe lambs between 100 to 110 before i would give 200 for shearlings

some nice stock on done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Box09

210 for hoggets in Blessington this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

box09, what were ewe lambs making in blessington?, around 44-45kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 caseih

in delvin today handy size hoggets 160-175euro...40-45kg ewe lambs 100-120 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

caseih wrote: »
    in delvin today handy size hoggets 160-175euro...40-45kg ewe lambs 100-120 euro

What was fat sheep and thin sheep making???

• Advertisement

eorna wrote: »
    box09, what were ewe lambs making in blessington?, around 44-45kg

Good ones suitable for breeding next year up to €130.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Ewes are looking about 2.80 - 3.00/kg which isn't too bad.

Lambs are being quoted as high as €5.00/kg but though job to get them that high. More likely to get 4.80-4.90/kg. Factories aren't paying out on the full 22kg either, some are only going up to 17/18, push for weight over price it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

how do you make money off a hogget costing 200 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 caseih

easymoney! wrote: »
    What was fat sheep and thin sheep making???
    didnt wait to see the culls sellin,, started to rain,, there were only 20 r so in it....

A good few pens of Hoggets made around 230 at Baltinglass mart on Saturday. The average types were commonly making 200. Ewe lambs 170 for good breeding types. Big money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

flatout11 wrote: »
    how do you make money off a hogget costing 200 euro?

If prices hold for a couple of years you might, at that not a lot. If everyone and their mother are buying breeding sheep with the same intention then I can't see it happening. It's a gamble I don't think I'd take myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

johngalway wrote: »
    If prices hold for a couple of years you might, at that not a lot. If everyone and their mother are buying breeding sheep with the same intention then I can't see it happening. It's a gamble I don't think I'd take myself.

there will be fellas spending a fortune on getting back into them, wont have made any investment in handling equipment on fencing and will up selling in a few years with a bad taste in there mouth again!!! the joys of farming :rolleyes: still if i was selling them i would be a happy farmer going chashing the cheque this year

Advertisement