Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda to Dublin train

Options
  • 03-08-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have to start travelling from Drogheda to Lansdowne Rd Staion in the next few weeks. (Have to be at Lansdowne for before 9 0'clock)

Can anyone tell me the price of a monthly ticket for the journey (waiting on irish rail to get back to me on that one)

Are the times on the Irish rail website accurate?

Is it hard to get parking in the morning around that time?

How much is parking at the train station?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I have to start travelling from Drogheda to Lansdowne Rd Staion in the next few weeks. (Have to be at Lansdowne for before 9 0'clock)

Can anyone tell me the price of a monthly ticket for the journey (waiting on irish rail to get back to me on that one)

Are the times on the Irish rail website accurate?

Is it hard to get parking in the morning around that time?

How much is parking at the train station?

Price of a ticket was around 191 for a monthly but there threatening on hiking up the price. Your best bet is to get either the 7.12 train which will bring you to Landsdowne around 8.25 or the 7.34 train which will bring you to Landsdowne for around 8.50(there can be delays on this train though).Both these trains are en route to Bray so the train stops in Landsdowne meaning you dont need to switch to a dart at connolly.The times are accurate on the website but delays can occur as I'm sure you've heard! Parking is grand around that time and parking for a week was 8 euro last time I checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Yeah parking is 8 quid for the week, or 2 quid a day

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Thanks for the replies.

Jesus 191 is steep, didnt realise it'd be that much. Still the best option unfortunately!!

Thanks for the help lads

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seldon

Talk to your employer about getting the tax back/credits for the train ticket... Could save you a pretty penny...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

According to the taxsaver.ie page -

http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Rail-point-to-point-tickets/

the monthly ticket from Drogheda to Dublin Connolly/Pearse is €199 per month.

You might get a faster response from taxsaver.ie regarding the Drogheda - Landsdowne Rd fare (which is likely to be more).

As an aside, look how much you'll save by driving to Gormanston station (monthly ticket is €137)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

As an aside, look how much you'll save by driving to Gormanston station (monthly ticket is €137)!!

Thats not a bad option alright. Must try and find out about Julianstown at that hour of the morning and evenings, it can become a bit of a bottle neck.

Anybody know anything about Gormanstown station ie charges for parking or is it hard to get parking. Had a look on street view there and there doesnt seem to be much space!!

You'll have no bother getting a place in the car park at Gormanstown,there does be plenty of spaces.However,Iarnród Éireann are threatening to cut the gormanstown service at peak times in the upcoming timetable because of a low service so keep an eye out on that,also some peak time trains can nearly be full leaving Drogheda so it could be harder getting a seat on the train at Gormanstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mary234

I have to go to Dublin on wednesday for interview. Say you are getting a train around 8.30 am-does anyone know if there would definitely be car spaces at Drogheda station at that time?
    Thanks

mary234 wrote: »
    I have to go to Dublin on wednesday for interview. Say you are getting a train around 8.30 am-does anyone know if there would definitely be car spaces at Drogheda station at that time?
    Thanks

Yeah, there'll defo be spaces available. The car park is huge up there

Seannew1 wrote: »
    You'll have no bother getting a place in the car park at Gormanstown,there does be plenty of spaces.However,Iarnród Éireann are threatening to cut the gormanstown service at peak times in the upcoming timetable because of a low service so keep an eye out on that,also some peak time trains can nearly be full leaving Drogheda so it could be harder getting a seat on the train at Gormanstown.

no train is ever full by the time it gets to Gormanston. (EDIT - sorry, forgot about trains coming from Dundalk! but even then, thats only 1 or 2 around 7/7:30)
    Good to hear they might be cutting back on the Gormanston service though. Way too many trains stop there for the amount of people that actually use the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mary234

Yeah, there'll defo be spaces available. The car park is huge up there

Great, Thats one less thing to worry about :)

no train is ever full by the time it gets to Gormanston. (EDIT - sorry, forgot about trains coming from Dundalk! but even then, thats only 1 or 2 around 7/7:30)
    Good to hear they might be cutting back on the Gormanston service though. Way too many trains stop there for the amount of people that actually use the station.

Good point,don't think i've ever seen more than 4 people get on at Gormanstown in the morning.Not too sure about trains before it but certainly the one i get usually,the 7.10 from Dundalk,the train is usually full leaving drogheda and i notice passengers from Laytown usually have to move into different carriages to get a seat.I've noticed that in spite of the bad service,passenger numbers from Drogheda have risen over the best few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

ilovespudss:
    I have the joy of commuting from Drogheda to Lansdown Rd area every day too.
    I got the train for around 4 years before it actually drove me insane!!
    CONSTANTLY late trains, extending the times for Drogheda commuters to suit DART cuts, smelly noisy trains, fees for parking, (I could go on...)

The only thing I will say that's good is the annual ticket from taxsaver.ie will actually save you up to 50% of your actual ticket, which when you do the maths I think last year I had it worked out that my weekly ticket (through taxsaver) was about €17!!
    But it's a big financial hit to take and you're commited then to the train for 12 months!!

Anyways, these days I just drive to work! it never takes me longer 1hr10mins and I only use 1 toll on my journey, the M1 in the evening!!
    Yes, it costs me a wee bit more but not much.... and more peace of mind... (and reliability)

Happy commuting... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

I did the Drogheda-Dublin with IrishRail for 5 years and a bit - 2005 to 2011. It's the best public transport option available at the moment - and annual tax saver ticket makes it easy on the pocket like kormac said. The best thing about Drogheda (as compared to other stations on Northern route) is the Enterprise service - 45 mins in morning and just 35 mins in the evening.

However, I am now riding to work (motorcycle) - takes me about 40 mins door-door on average (as compared to 1h 30m with the train). It's more expensive than train - fuel approx 30 euro a week, insurance about 10 a week, then there's maintenance and safety concerns - but it's totally worth it for time saved alone.

positron wrote: »
    I did the Drogheda-Dublin with IrishRail for 5 years and a bit - 2005 to 2011. It's the best public transport option available at the moment - and annual tax saver ticket makes it easy on the pocket like kormac said. The best thing about Drogheda (as compared to other stations on Northern route) is the Enterprise service - 45 mins in morning and just 35 mins in the evening.

However, I am now riding to work (motorcycle) - takes me about 40 mins door-door on average (as compared to 1h 30m with the train). It's more expensive than train - fuel approx 30 euro a week, insurance about 10 a week, then there's maintenance and safety concerns - but it's totally worth it for time saved alone.

The Belfast train is great but only if you work in the IFSC or nearby...
    Hopping off and getting (waiting) for the next DARTto Lansdowne can waste another half an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭positron

That's absolutely true. Although, if you bring a folding bike (or get a DublinBike near Connolly), you can probably cycle there in 10-15 mins.

positron wrote: »
    That's absolutely true. Although, if you bring a folding bike (or get a DublinBike near Connolly), you can probably cycle there in 10-15 mins.

I did think about this before and ASAIK there is no dock for Dublin city bikes in or around Ballsbridge!

Advertisement