Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to catch bass around the rocks?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

hey guys,

i was down in Fenit the last few days and saw loads of bass patrolling around the rocks as high tide was rising.

they were sticking their fins out of the water and hopping out of the water the odd time too.

i had light lures and spinners with me,no bait!
    i caught nothing but loads of seaweed.

what should i do the next time i'm there????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

are you sure they were bass and not mullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

yes they were bass.

there were a few caught the night before,and i know the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

spinners/lures will work well for Bass too. If the area is very weedy, you could also try plastic worms rigged 'texas style' as its called.

Bait wise you could try lugworm, crab or razor. What did the other people use to catch them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

the people that caught them were on the bridge and caught them on feathers and one guy had a spoon for flatfish

wow, I've never seen anyone catch a bass on a set of feathers. A spoon yes as it might look like a silver lure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭what a day

Dont mean to sound smart but they sound like mullet to me.

what a day wrote: »
    Dont mean to sound smart but they sound like mullet to me.

dunno, taking a mullet on feathers seems even stranger. People from bridges with feathers are usually catching mackerel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

oflynno wrote: »
    hey guys,

i was down in Fenit the last few days and saw loads of bass patrolling around the rocks as high tide was rising.

they were sticking their fins out of the water and hopping out of the water the odd time too.

i had light lures and spinners with me,no bait!
    i caught nothing but loads of seaweed.

what should i do the next time i'm there????

if you have the gear bring a spinning rod and a bait rod aswell the bait rod rag/sandells/crab/limpets will take one handy while the light allows spin using lures/spinners/plugs etc a surface popper if its weedy and spin fresh sand ells or even mackeral strips best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

oflynno wrote: »
    the people that caught them were on the bridge and caught them on feathers and one guy had a spoon for flatfish

another sure fire way of catching a big bass is to feather for a live joey makeral then live bait with the joey a large hook and bring it tru the nose of the makeral keeping him alive then float fish the joey as long as its alive it gives off acts like a distressed prey for the big bass but ensure right tackle and secure your rod at all times or itll catch your best rod and reel lol best of luck

Advertisement