Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What database can I use?

Options
  • 03-08-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I'm making a java project for meself, mainly to learn java and learn how to use Swing for making GUI's.
    Anyway, there'll be a database backend. My database of choice was going to be SQLite but apparently you've to get some wrappers and its not natively supported. I then saw Java DB (or Derby?) which claims to be an all in one solution, but when I tried to download it from Sun, it gave me a message from Oracle saying all downloads have moved since July 31st 2011 so I can't download that. Searching on the Oracle site brings me back to that message again.

So, can anyone recommend me a good database to use? I've used MySQL before with PHP, but for desktop apps I think I've to install MySQL server,which I'd prefer to avoid doing. The aim is to make a self contained java app that can run on a PC without anything installed, other than Java itself.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

For PHP and Mysql you'd have to download the server locally or use a remote one. I don't see how this can be any different for JAva and another database server e.g Microsoft SQL. Ultimately for the app to work ubiquitously on computers with Java installed it will need to refer to a accessible server (which wouldn't be local). Am I missing something here?

If I have, please ignore me and I apologize.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I think Derby is a very good choice for learning about databases with java. Also, it can be embedded with your java app!

Download Apache Derby from
    http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

If you want to access the database on your local machine you need to install the database on your local machine.

Even if the database was on a server somewhere someone else would have had to install it there and why would someone let you access their database online, even for trying to get something to work as you may break it.

Best bet is MySql, MS SQL Express.

If you develop an app you want to deploy for clients you can either
    1: Include the database self install in the your application setup (Applications do this all the time)
    2: Have a database on the server and have the app point to the server. Problem with this though if all your clients need to run the same client version and if you make changes then a new client is need. (thats why developers like the internet. Have everyone run the app through a browser. Everyone has the same version all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

croo, thanks I'll have a look at that.

amen, its just a small program which will be on one PC, with no internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Go for Derby. You should be able to write your app once and deploy anywhere including other platforms. While SQLite is available for many platforms, the dependency is different for each.

You should be able to download Derby from it's Apache project page:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/

I believe the one Sun/Oracle distribute(d) was simply a supported version. This probably just meant a version was chosen as stable for longer than Apache development cycle and was built for distribution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement