Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can cows graze a burned off field?

• 03-08-2011 11:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

burned off a field for reseeding last monday. cut the silage off it yesterday. is it ok to lets the cows graze around the edges or could the burned grass kill them when its so freshly burned off. if so how long also should you hold off feeding the silage as it was the last field out into the pit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

burned off a field for reseeding last monday. cut the silage off it yesterday. is it ok to lets the cows graze around the edges or could the burned grass kill them when its so freshly burned off. if so how long also should you hold off feeding the silage as it was the last field out into the pit?

I have it in my head that grass burned off with roundup is fine after 9 days.
    What did you spray with?
    Is there nothing on the spec sheet of the spray?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Did it with su cows after 7 days last june, nothin died yet. Just make sure there is no ragwort in it

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

No need to remove them in the first place;), but of course no one would do something like this and would adhere to the recommended guidelines of leaving animals out of the field for 5 days before allowing them to graze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I have cows and calves grazing a few acres sprayed 10 days ago. Bit of ragwort in it as well, but they seem to be ignoring it.
    Plenty of docks in it and they are eating them down to the ground;)
    It's great weather for reseeding though, with plenty of moisture in the ground and a nice bit of heat as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

I burned a paddock off last fri, grazed it yesterday with the milkers only thing is milk yield back shocken this morn. do them no harm. sur you'l know in a few days if any of them die:D. joke aside dey b grand just wont thrive as well that al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

so you sprayed ther field with something like roundup a few days before cutting it for silage?....musnt be understanding this right.

so you sprayed ther field with something like roundup a few days before cutting it for silage?....musnt be understanding this right.

Common enough practice. Would you not agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Wouldnt know of any lads around our way at it......could you not poison the cattle?....why not wait till crop harvested to apply chemicals?

Wouldnt know of any lads around our way at it......could you not poison the cattle?....why not wait till crop harvested to apply chemicals?

Typically it's done when reseeding. It gives a great wilt to the silage after about 7 days or so. Once the grass is picked up the work on reseeding can begin, with minimal down time!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Nice to know those chemicals and herbicides are going into our milk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Conor30 wrote: »

how do you fathom that, presume you have never heard of translocation. As usual the uneduacted are the first to spout crap. many of the grain products you eat have being treated with Glyphosate shortly before harvest:rolleyes::rolleyes:, I hope im not worrying you now.

Conor30 wrote: »

Welcome to F&F Conor.

Explain to us all how this is going to happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

When I spray off fields for reseeding I leave the bullocks afer 4-6 days depending on how good growth is watch top of leaves when you see a purple-blackish tinge on tip of leave leave in cattle this is a sign that the root has began to die.The sooner you get them in the better they clean the paddock you are reseeding or planting

Advertisement