Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Reception on van radio

• 03-08-2011 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all

We have a Blaupunk Maderia CD33 radio fitted in out 03 Dethleff. The van is coachbuilt with an overhanging "luton". I am guessing that it is the original radio. The areal for same is a "rubber ducky" type areal mounted on the left hand wing (again Im guessing it is original factory fit). The problem is that the reception is very poor.
    When trying to pick up national radio, it will drift in and out when driving under trees etc. When using a transmitter on my iPod, while it will pick up the transmission, we get an intermittent "beep" which I think means that the signal is not strong enough

I guess its possible that the areal jack has come loose from back of unit?
    Before I start to pull it apart, anybody got any other suggestions

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It could be the connection inside the wing either. Something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Des32

I had the same problem with my radio, I also had an aerial on the wing with very poor reception.
    I replaced it with a blaupunkt internal aerial which I bought online but I don't remember where.
    This aerial fits on the inside of the windscreen.
    If you google blaupunkt internal antenna you will see the type that I have. I think it cost around 30 / 35 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Des32 wrote: »
    This aerial fits on the inside of the windscreen.

I used one of these in my old primera did an excellent job €3 delivered from hong kong - less than you'd pay for the cable here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Internal-Glass-Screen-Mount-Amplified-Aerial-Antenna-/260816970303?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb9e7223f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

paddyp wrote: »
    I used one of these in my old primera did an excellent job €3 delivered from hong kong - less than you'd pay for the cable here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Internal-Glass-Screen-Mount-Amplified-Aerial-Antenna-/260816970303?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb9e7223f

There was one of those on my MH when new and it was rubbish.
    The underlying problem is that an aerial on the windscreen or on the wing is on one corner of a metal box and unlike a car there is more or less no route through windows for the signal when the body of the 'van is between the aerial and the transmitter. The only way to reliably get a signal from all directions is an aerial on the roof, since 2007 Rapido have been fitting a 'bee sting' roof aerial to overcome the problem.
    While fitting in the center looks best there is no reason why for simplicity of installation it can't be fitted to one side, preferably the 'offside' so it won't be strimming the greenery.

I fitted one of These Pillar Mount Types on the side and find it very good. It's important to have a good earth and this may involve bring an earth wire from the fixing screw/nut direct to the chassis, particularly if it is fitted to a fiberglass section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

niloc1951 wrote: »
    There was one of those on my MH when new and it was rubbish.
    The underlying problem is that an aerial on the windscreen or on the wing is on one corner of a metal box and unlike a car there is more or less no route through windows for the signal when the body of the 'van is between the aerial and the transmitter.

Its obviously not ideal but I fitted it behind the sunvisor and had good radio reception everywhere from sligo to cork - the car wasn't worth putting a proper aerial in :D
    I suppose a motorhome has a lot more metal and a lot less glass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Cheers guys for the replies so far.......my problem as it turns out is fairly fundamental......the areal jack has come off the back of the radio :(
    How do I know.....cause I can see it

Basically I was trying to take the radio out and failed so I loosened a little of the dashboard (the fold-up/down document holder.....its a 2003 fiat ducato) above the radio......I can see the areal jack, I can touch the areal jack but I cannot connect it to the back of the radio.....I need to take the radio out.

I have removed the face plate of the radio (the part with the buttons) but I cannot remove the facia around the radio to remove the unit. I do not have any "special tools" to remove the radio

Once again, all suggestions (with the exception of a gentle touch of a sledge) welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Mine is a 2006 Ducato (so I presume it is the same as yours). My radio was upgraded by the previous owner however when I bought it I wanted to connect an ipod lead. I was able to pop (pull) out the air vent to the left of the radio. This gave some limited access to the side and, if you have small hands, the rear of the radio. You might just get away with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 canon20

Malta1 has too much time on his hands

canon20 wrote: »
    Malta1 has too much time on his hands

Its called holidays ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

the two dash vents either side pull out of the dash , will give you a bit of room to pop the locking tabs on the radio . No ducato ever had a rubber whip , for best reception I always a semi rigid GRP one . And the intermittent Beep is generally that the Traffic alert is turned on , but we don't get them broadcast here . Usually a button with either "Traf" or with what looks like 3 cars following each other .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

Malta1 wrote: »
    Cheers guys for the replies so far.......my problem as it turns out is fairly fundamental......the areal jack has come off the back of the radio :(
    How do I know.....cause I can see it

Basically I was trying to take the radio out and failed so I loosened a little of the dashboard (the fold-up/down document holder.....its a 2003 fiat ducato) above the radio......I can see the areal jack, I can touch the areal jack but I cannot connect it to the back of the radio.....I need to take the radio out.

I have removed the face plate of the radio (the part with the buttons) but I cannot remove the facia around the radio to remove the unit. I do not have any "special tools" to remove the radio

Once again, all suggestions (with the exception of a gentle touch of a sledge) welcome

You need a set of these to take the radio out. Some car accessories sites sell them. Maybe the lads in you local halfords would let you borrow their set if you promised to guy something off them.

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/stereo-removal-keys-blaupunkt-c-47_396_1195.html

OK got the radio out.....and what did I find only 2 aerial cables (one connected and one not).....must be the original aerial cable before van converted?

Now need to check if there is continuity on connected aerial cable?

Aidan
    Yes the cars symbol is showing on the radio.......possibly the beeps are traffic news. Need to look at that too

Ah well.......the joys of owning a motorhome.....always something to be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 canon20

Did you sort it out.

canon20 wrote: »
    Did you sort it out.

Not yet.......took a bit of time to find the user manual on line....planning on heading out on van for a drive today and will try disable the "traffic" function as Aidan suggested

Havnt had weather decent enough to open lid of van to run continuity on areal cable.....been absolutely lashing rain down here

Will report back when I get a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

they all came with a factory fitted aerial , out to the centre of the roof , so the OE cable will be there alright , normally with a cloth-y or fibre-y braid on it . Of course when the MH manufacturer plonked a camper body down on the roof... the OE aerial got thrown by the wayside!

Advertisement