Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post,registered mail

Options
  • 03-08-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

hope someone may be able to advise me here
    i posted a registered parcel (birthday present) to my daughters place of work in the uk, there are several units in the business park, i unfortunately posted to unit 3 whereas my daughter had moved to unit 1 (both the same company)
    the post office tells me the parcel was delivered to the address i provided
    yet nobody at that address has knowledge of this,i asked an post for the name of the person who signed for it and was presented with a scribble,not a single letter of the supposed signature was legible, leaving me in no mans land.
    surely after i paid 12 euro to register my parcel and even allowing for my mistake in the address surely i should be told who singed for the parcel
    do i have any recourse? even if i had posted it to the correct address i could be in the same position with no knowledge of who signed for it.
    any advice appreciated
    thanks
    frank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's nothing you can do. It was delivered to the address that you put on it.

It's been lost internally in the company, so your gripe is not with the Post Office, but with the company your daughter works for.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭frank9901

i have almosted accepted its a lost cause but i still think i should have proof of delivery. the signature is only the length of 3 or 4 letters, but is nothing like a actual name,i thought (maybe wrongly) that registering a packet would give actual proof of delivery (the name of the person receiving the item)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A signature is a signature, even if you can't read it properly.

You paid for confirmed delivery and the signature is confirmation that it arrived at the destination.

I know where I work, I can't read the signature of the "Goods Inwards" guy. But, once there is a signature, I know it's in the building.

Your problem is with the company/person who accepted the item, not with the delivery mechanism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You can try and submit an insurance claim for non-delivery, but since they have a delivery record, I don't know how far you'd get. You are not guaranteed to see the recipients signature, because the post office won't know what the recipients signature looks like, and because when delivering to a company it will usually be impossible to have the named recipient sign for it. Some people's signatures do look like little more than a squiggle.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Business+Customers/Sending+Mail/Security/Registered+Post.htm

Since you're not even disputing that it wasn't delivered to the correct address, there's nothing you can do. The problem is that the company has lost the package internally somewhere. Your daughter needs to chase up with the internal mail handling people to find out where it has gone.

thanks for the input
    frank

• Advertisement

after lots of checking it seem whoever signed for it has kept it

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

You should contact the company and ask them about the theft of the item while in their building.Also people should always put a return address on an item.

i did put a return address on the parcel,the people at the company have no knowledge of the parcel and do not recognise the scribble

if delivered, it may even have been handed to someone not employed by the company and with no legible sig there is no way of knowing.
    i am accepting it is a lost cause as they will say it was delivered and signed for
    but it makes me wonder what was the point of me paying an additional 5euro to register, as there is/was no benefit by registering it it would be helpful if the recipient were required to print as well as signing their name

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

frank9901 wrote: »

i am accepting it is a lost cause as they will say it was delivered and signed for
    but it makes me wonder what was the point of me paying an additional 5euro to register, as there is/was no benefit by registering it it would be helpful if the recipient were required to print as well as signing their name

Does seem a bit strange alright.
    If you delivered it to the correct part of the company in your daughter's name and someone else scribbled for it, it seems you would have no comeback either.
    Surely registered post should be a bit more secure- even as you say, a printed name or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

in ireland you are required to print your name as well as signature, dosent always happen but thats what your paying for,its only ever an issue if something goes wrong, like this case.

you paid for a legible signature and name printing upon the delivery of the parcel,

you recieved neither.. therefore royal mail are at fault ( going by an posts work practises).

you would have been asked at time of posting how valuble item was and paid postage accordingly, your coverd for that amount unless royal mail can confirm the identity of the person who signed for it.

thats how it works here, im in the postal sector.

if i were you i wouldnt drop it, make official complaints and do not let up.

or let it go for peace and quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l5lr

I'm always asked for my name when I receive anything via registered post with AnPost and they fill it in and I sign over it.

I've noticed with other postal companies, they don't seem to follow the same system. I've sent loads of stuff to customers in Italy and the parcel is never even shown as delivered on AnPost's website or on the Italian postal website :/

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

TBH if this is correct, then what stops an post or any other delivery company from putting a scribble or even an "x" on the signature line and then state the package was delivered and signed for and tell you, you have no recourse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

l5lr wrote: »
    I'm always asked for my name when I receive anything via registered post with AnPost and they fill it in and I sign over it.

I've noticed with other postal companies, they don't seem to follow the same system. I've sent loads of stuff to customers in Italy and the parcel is never even shown as delivered on AnPost's website or on the Italian postal website :/

ever see on ebay ' will not send to italy' in an item description, or romania,

apparently they have an different way of doing thing postal wise in those countries, canada aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

kinda off topic but maybe of interest ,

when i was receiving a package being delivered by a well known Currier ,
    signature was required as i paid extra for it ,

package came , i asked did i have to sign for it , delivery man said no ,
    then when i checked it online , i see a my name was signed by the Currier ,

moral of what im trying to say is what if the postman has taken it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

If a scribble is good enough then no one would ever bother with registered post. I would follow this up OP.

i rang an post today to ask them who signed, they told they cant make it out but the parcel was delivered,when i asked why did i pay 5euro extra to register it
    ,he said registrering it was just insuring it,i told him i spoke to the manager of the company who they say received the parcel,she said they have no knowledge of the parcel and does not recognise the signature which i also sent to her by email.
    the an post guy then told me, before they will start an investigation i must talk directly with the person responsible for post/goods inbound ,i tried several times but failed to contact or even get a name for that person

• Registered Users Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Not a lot of help here, I know, but I have come to the conclusion that ordinary post is the best bet. I have had recorded delivery and registered stuff go astray and it just shows how weak the system is.

If the recipient is asking for a specific posting type, or if you are returning goods then ok, recorded is a help, but otherwise just package the parcel to look as boring as possible and stick it in ordinary post.

Advertisement