Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is a poacher?

Options
  • 04-08-2011 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

I am not much into angling now but my little boy would love to try. I remember how much fun fishing could be from my childhood. So, I did some research and it looks that for coarse fishing it's pretty straightforward: no close season, no license needed.
    But still, there is a lot of talk about pouching coarse fish. So, (this is an honest question) what is poaching in relation to coarse fishing? Taking any fish, taking to much fish, etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭con___manx1

poaching is illegal fishing.people useing a net or gaff or fish trap which are all illegal to use to catch fish.people that net coarse fish are usually non nationals not being racist but irish dont really catch coarse fish to eat them.biggest problem is people poaching salmon or sea trout..that is rampant all over the country. generation after generation of the feckirs.

good luck introducing your young son to fishing.hope the both of you catch lots of fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Glad you asked. In the eyes of the law, a poacher is somebody that does not adhear to the local angling regualtions. However, when you see guys on boards talking about poachers, 99% of the time its people that are killing large amounts of fish for food. Over the last 10 years, many fisheries have been literally destroyed because of this, mainly in built up areas. Some lates in more remote parts of the country were netted with thousands of fish killed in one go, this was also done on the canals. Most of this work was carried out by foreign nationals from eastern europe, who have NO respect for wild life, of fish habitat, just look at the stocks of fresh water fish in eastern europe. With the downturn in our economy most have left Ireland, and left many irish waters in a state.

intersting link
    http://www.anglocelt.ie/news/roundup/articles/2011/06/08/4004834-poaching-rife-on-cavan-and-monaghan-lakes/

Its a great idea to get your son into fishing, its a fantastic pasttime. I'm mainly a coarse angler myself, it can seem hard at the start, best bit of advice i can give you is go you your local tackle shop, and they will sort you out with everything, from rods/reels to bait, and most importantly show you how to use it and where to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Ok, got it. I've also found bag limits and conservation info here: http://www.fishinginireland.info/coarse/cconser.htm
    We are going to catch and release (if we catch something that's it) but it's good to know what's within the law anyway.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

watching this one........Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Andip wrote: »

Any particular reason ? maybe you could tell the rest of us , might save people making the same mistake they have made already.....IF they have made one !

Good to see that some people are taking this problem of what is a major issue seriously and getting involved !

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »

Wasn't meant to be a wind up thread, ... maybe the title bit unfortunate.
    My main problem was, I suppose; when a guy with a rod (going after coarse fish) becomes a poacher? But it's all clear now.

Cant see what the mod's problem was or is , no problem with your title that i can see !

I reckon anyone who catches fish with a net or multi hook line and isnt licensed is a poacher, anyone who catches fish with a rod and has no licence is just making a statement !:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

280special wrote: »
    .... I reckon anyone who catches fish with a net or multi hook line and isnt licensed is a poacher, anyone who catches fish with a rod and has no licence is just making a statement !:D

.... a statement that they are also a poacher ......

:rolleyes:

I think poachers are a bit like fish.
    There are little ones - small fry, and there are big ones that you'd want to catch!

coolwings wrote: »
    .... a statement that they are also a poacher ......

rolleyes.gif

I think poachers are a bit like fish.
    There are little ones - small fry, and there are big ones that you'd want to catch!

That what I was expecting and somebody finally said that.

So, let me sum up: although I am not bound by the law to have the licence for coarse fishing there is (perfectly understandable) expectation to have a salmon license in order to contribute to the fisheries.

Cant see what the mod's problem was or is , no problem with your title that i can see !

I reckon anyone who catches fish with a net or multi hook line and isnt licensed is a poacher, anyone who catches fish with a rod and has no licence is just making a statement !:D

I have no problem - I'm a very happy Mod :D & have no issue with any of the postings - just commented that I was watching as generally threads on poaching tend to get out of hand which destroys the thread & it ends up getting closed even if there were some perfectly valid comments.

So long as there's no attempt to justify poaching & no targeting specific groups, let the thread roll

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

andip, the rules are at the top of the page as always. no one wants a mod coming on waving his or her close tread button.

With all due respect, those who cause problems with postings don't tend to read the rules !.

I'm certainly not waving my 'close thread' wand - Harry Potter I 'aint, but I'm one of the guys that gets emails with complaints & then has to come on and spend time clearing things up. I'd much rather keep the threads open and informative.

With three poaching threads closed due to abusive comments in the past few months, I personally feel its much better to do my job & keep an eye on things. I think the regulars on Angling will vouch for the fact that I'm not heavy handed & wand or not have yet to turn anyone into a frog.

Thanks for then reply Andip, as a mod (elsewhere, but its a thankless job anywhere !! ) myself i always find it helpfull when members understand clearly what they did wrong, therefore if they do it a 2nd time.....
    no excuses !:cool:

Havent been following the angling treads too closely so didnt know there had been hassle. Thanks for the heads up !

ring20 What rules and where at the top of the page?

Thanks for then reply Andip, as a mod (elsewhere, but its a thankless job anywhere !! ) myself i always find it helpfull when members understand clearly what they did wrong, therefore if they do it a 2nd time.....
    no excuses !:cool:

Havent been following the angling treads too closely so didnt know there had been hassle. Thanks for the heads up !

ring20 What rules and where at the top of the page?
    the sticky at the top of the angling section, says please read before posting!!

ring 20 wrote: »
    the sticky at the top of the angling section, says please read before posting!!

So NOT at the top of THIS page....Accuracy in posting is always desirable !

I am well aware of the rules. In case you are unaware we are allowed to ask a question, There was no obvious reason for the tread to be monitored, Andip had the courtesy to let us know why he was watching and therefore we all know what the problem is.

He managed it without any rudeness as well...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back on track - we have fishermen, bailiffs waterkeepers & fisheries guys on here - I'll start a thread tomorrow for open ideas on licensing, monitoring & development

Advertisement