Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a pair of cushion shoes?

Options
  • 04-08-2011 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Can someone recommend a pair of cushion neutral shoes for me please?

I am looking for something light but with good cushioning. I have Saucony triumph 6 at moment and they have caused me some problems with a pain in my foot and I need a change...

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Your best bet is to either get a gait analysis or go into a shop, try on a rake of neutral shoes and then pick whichever feels more comfortable. The former is probably the better option if the shoes you're wearing are causing you pain.

Triumph have a lot of cushioning in them, asics nimbus might suit you if you're looking for a cushioned shoe and they're lighter than triumphs IIRC.

The Jazz is lighter again and a popular saucony model.

I found nike lunarglides very good, suitable for the neutral runner and they're very light compared to your average training shoe.

But yeah, there are hundreds of neutral cushioned shoes on the market if one pair are hurting you it's hard to recommend an alternative without knowing more about why your current shoes aren't suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Thanks Racoon,
    Probably a good idea to go somewhere that has a good range of shoes and try them all on...

Are the LunarGlides suitable for longer distances as well or would they not have enough cushioning? I had wrote these off on that basis..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

nellocono wrote: »

Are the LunarGlides suitable for longer distances as well or would they not have enough cushioning? I had wrote these off on that basis..?

Lunarglides have loads of cushioning, in fact they have a very 'bouncy' feel that makes you feel like you are running on springs. I went from Pegasus to Lunarglides- while the pegasus have thicker cushioning, the lunarglides actually feel like they have more cushioning, and they are quite a bit lighter.

They are great for longer distances ( I have worn them for ultras) they would still be my standard long run shoe (I'd now use flats for shorter stuff and races).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gottarun

Depends on how long you have been using the Saucony. Current editon is now the Triumph 8. If you have been running injury free up to a point you may have gone beyond the life of the shoe and getting pains relating to that.

I like the Mizuno Rider or Enigma as a stable cushioned neutral shoe. The new Nimbus 13 is lighter than the older versions too. Lots of choice out there, def go and get fitted in a proper running shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Just wondering if anybody would recommend the lunareclipse. I'm looking for a new shoe with plenty of cushioning for longer runs, have never worn nike but I fancy a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just wondering if anybody would recommend the lunareclipse. I'm looking for a new shoe with plenty of cushioning for longer runs, have never worn nike but I fancy a change

Lunar Eclipse is a stability shoe, so it wouldn't be a good choice for one who needs a neutral shoe.

Lunar Eclipse is a stability shoe, so it wouldn't be a good choice for one who needs a neutral shoe.

How about the lunarglide?Or what else would you recommend?Going to go and try on some tomorrow and would like to narrow it down to three or four recommendations

nellocono wrote: »
    Thanks Racoon,

Yeah, I've worn the glides in every distance up to 50 miles. Perfect for longer distances, for me anyway, some staff in shops might advise differently. Every one is different, while it worked perfectly for me, it may not work for you. I no longer wear the lunars they're way too heavy and cushioned for me now mind. All my shoes weigh less than 7.5 ounces.
    How about the lunarglide?Or what else would you recommend?Going to go and try on some tomorrow and would like to narrow it down to three or four recommendations

What shoe are you wearing at the moment? Lunarglides are generally aimed towards neutral to mild overpronators. IMO they're a great all round shoe. The lunarelite is another option - they're lighter than the glides. Both can be found in your average sports shop.

Yeah, I've worn the glides in every distance up to 50 miles. Perfect for longer distances, for me anyway, some staff in shops might advise differently. Every one is different, while it worked perfectly for me, it may not work for you. I no longer wear the lunars they're way too heavy and cushioned for me now mind. All my shoes weigh less than 7.5 ounces.

What shoe are you wearing at the moment? Lunarglides are generally aimed towards neutral to mild overpronators. IMO they're a great all round shoe. The lunarelite is another option - they're lighter than the glides. Both can be found in your average sports shop.

Wearing Asics Cumulus12s and looking for a shoe to help me increase mileage in. I'm neutral running but I'd like something with good cushioning to protect an old back injury. I've heard the Kayano16s could be worth a look at but I'm open to anything

Kayanos are a stability shoe whereas cumulus are a cushioned shoe so I wouldn't recommend kayanos. I'm a big fan of lunarglides, because they worked for me. Most shops have a very limited selection, compared to what's available.

The nimbus is quite similar to the cumulus, I think one of the major differences is that nimbus is heavier and has more cushioning so nimbus may be a good option, they've like a posher, softer cumulus and are more suitable for high mileage running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

+1 on all that RQ says above.

Another difference between the Nimbus and Cumulus is the shape of the toe box. Cumulus is a little broader and is more comfortable for those with a wider foot.

Weight wise you will be suprised to know the Nimbus 12 (men's) was 337g and the Cumulus 12 & 13 are 340g! The new Nimbus 13 is slimmed down to 325g in weight, size 9 I think is the base for the measurement.

Another shoe which has a high level of gel cushioning is the New Balance 1080 pretty much comparable to the ASICS Nimbus. Both these shoes are available in 2E and 4E widths to accommodate broad feet if necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sorry to hijack but as an over pronator running in Lunar eclipse,i am looking to get a second pair,diff brand,any recommendations?

Are these good runners,weight ectc does not bother me once they aint concrete blocks
    http://www.prodirectrunning.com/Products/Brooks-Mens-Beast-9-Running-Shoes-Motion-Control-GreyBlackGold-37758.aspx

Bought the lunarglide3 today and did 10k in 'em tonight..wow, what a great shoe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

CAn I ask where you got the LunarGlide 3 or who has them in stock now?

Only one sports store had them in Waterford (Alfie Hale intersport) but I would say you'd come across them with a little worthwhile effort. They're like wearing gloves on your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Are the lunarglide suitable for a heavier runner (108kg)? Running in Nimbus at the moment and was gonna try the Kinsei for a change (Im a neutral)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Bought the lunarglide3 today and did 10k in 'em tonight..wow, what a great shoe!!

big fan of the lunar range-how does the 3 compare to the previous models?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭TakeaBowSon

I have been looking for a pair of neutral cushioned runners for a while now. I like the sound of the Lunar Glide but as a neutral gait are they suitable? The product description describes them as "Dynamic" as against "neutral". What does this mean?

I have been looking for a pair of neutral cushioned runners for a while now. I like the sound of the Lunar Glide but as a neutral gait are they suitable? The product description describes them as "Dynamic" as against "neutral". What does this mean?

definitely suitable for neutral runners. and for long runs - like 15 miles plus a lot of neutral runners will pronate a bit so the dynamic support is handy but you won't know that it's there unless you need it. great shoe imo

Advertisement