Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete roof tiles q's

• 04-08-2011 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Are the nails for battens the same as for concrete roof tiles

I have been told, copper, Aluminium and galvanised for roof tiles?? I've also been told various sizes for battens

Also is bitumen felt still available? is it cheaper than other felts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

any ideas, anyone? re the nail type and batten size?
    are galvanised nails suitable? are aluminium ones dearer?

anyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 silvershark

2" x 1" or 2" x 1.5" battens rough and 3" round wire nails should do the job.

Use the copper/aluminium/galv nails for fixing the tiles to the battens

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Copper is overkill for fixing concrete roof tiles, not every row of tiles is nail fixed anyway.

Copper is overkill for fixing concrete roof tiles, not every row of tiles is nail fixed anyway.

I read that alright, mine is for a shed, I actually only have 6 rows on each pitched side, I was thinking of nailing them all as I wasn't thinking there would be enough weight to hold them or maybe sticking one nail in every other tile instead of two? any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 silvershark

Nail the bottom two rows fully anyway in case of wind getting under them and the same up along the gable ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

the nail lenght will be determined by the depth of the tile. just nmake sure it doesnt pierce the felt. for the price dif just go with the breathable.

I was wondering about the nail piercing the felt, but not on the tile, when I put the battens down over the felt the nails that secure them to the rafters will pierce the felt anyway, so does it create a problem, e.g. for moisture to drip down through the felt, where it is pierced by nails.

I found this, useful enough for a simple pitched roof like I'm doing.

http://diydata.com/general_building/roofing/battens_felt.php#battens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Merch wrote: »
    I was wondering about the nail piercing the felt, but not on the tile, when I put the battens down over the felt the nails that secure them to the rafters will pierce the felt anyway, so does it create a problem, e.g. for moisture to drip down through the felt, where it is pierced by nails.

Never see it to be a problem.

As emntioned the nail lenght is determined by the tile, for example a roman tile would need a loner nail than a flat 'slate' effect tile.

I would go with the breathable (tyvec etc..) felt. After 20-25 years the bitumen fell sags, especially behind the facia and eventually tears at the back of the facia and thus water runs doen inside the facia into the soffit.

• Advertisement

but the nails which hold the batten pierce the felt under the batten, just wondering how this doesnt create a problem but a nail holding the tile through the batten (that pierces the felt accidentally) does??

I got a breathable felt, not sure what its called

The mail holding the tile should not puncture the felt, or you might get water ingress.

The nail through the batten into the rafter isnt a problem.

ok, cool
    thanks

I'm still looking for a tile, found two types double pantile
    One has 2 nail holes (at the top of the channels) and another has it in the raised section (just one hole), it will come down to price, which seems to vary quite a bit.
    Anyone any ideas what/where is good price, was in one place, cheap, but delivery was pricey, another tile was almost double the price but delivery was free :(
    I am going to ask the dearer place what they can take off the price, as the other crowd say they can do nothing re the delivery as its contracted out.

Merch wrote: »
    ok, cool
    thanks

I'm still looking for a tile, found two types double pantile
    One has 2 nail holes (at the top of the channels) and another has it in the raised section (just one hole), it will come down to price, which seems to vary quite a bit.
    Anyone any ideas what/where is good price, was in one place, cheap, but delivery was pricey, another tile was almost double the price but delivery was free :(
    I am going to ask the dearer place what they can take off the price, as the other crowd say they can do nothing re the delivery as its contracted out.

Same thing here, 50 quid delivery charge. Fella delivering told my dad he was making a fortune!!

Advertisement