Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork School of Music

• 04-08-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Does anyone know if music students are willing to play at weddings???? Since I got made redundant I've had to scale my plans down a bit but I definitely want some church music & I'd be much happier paying a student than the 'professional' I viewed who charges €400 for an hours work & isn't that good.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Best option is to put up a notice on the students notice board in the CSM to see if you get a reply.

Most of these students have been playing for years and going to the CSM to get their degree. Some of them are already playing professionally so it may not necessarily be much cheaper.

Best of luck with the wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

It depends - students aren't necessarily cheaper, because they're quite often (seeing as they're studying music anyway) as good as many of the 'professionals' out there.

However 400e for a ceremony for a single instrument is a total rip-off. I do music at ceremonies myself, and I charge max 150e - and that's if it's in a different country. Apparently I'm at the cheaper end of the scale but in this day and age, there's no point ripping people off.

The one good thing about hiring students (I graduated out of CSM a couple years ago so no longer in this catagory) is that they're spending 2+ hours practicing diligently every single day (giveortake) so they're literally at the prime of their instrument - unlike those who are out of lessons / college years and thus only practice when they have a gig coming up - you really can hear a difference.

If you'd like to drop me a PM and let me know what you're looking for music-wise, I can help you out - am still involved with CSM, and know moreorless all instrument players :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Joanne 1978

It depends - students aren't necessarily cheaper, because they're quite often (seeing as they're studying music anyway) as good as many of the 'professionals' out there.

However 400e for a ceremony for a single instrument is a total rip-off. I do music at ceremonies myself, and I charge max 150e - and that's if it's in a different country. Apparently I'm at the cheaper end of the scale but in this day and age, there's no point ripping people off.

The one good thing about hiring students (I graduated out of CSM a couple years ago so no longer in this catagory) is that they're spending 2+ hours practicing diligently every single day (giveortake) so they're literally at the prime of their instrument - unlike those who are out of lessons / college years and thus only practice when they have a gig coming up - you really can hear a difference.

If you'd like to drop me a PM and let me know what you're looking for music-wise, I can help you out - am still involved with CSM, and know moreorless all instrument players :)

Hi there, I wonder if you could send me a pm with your details for weddings please? I would love to hear any samples you have, we are getting married in Clonakilty next year! Thanks

Advertisement