Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours cut in favour of newer staff? Do I have any protection against it?

Options
  • 04-08-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I hope someone can help me with this.

I've been working in a bookies on and off for the past 3 years and this is my fourth summer working for them(I'm currently a full time student about to start my masters). In the beginning and then again for the past year I've also been working at the weekends. So for roughly 14 months now I've been in pretty much continuous employment with them ranging from 8 hours to 40 hours(occasionally 50-60 hours) per week.

For the evening racing during the summer an extra staff member was taken on(theres normally only 3 of us) to cover the long days. This is where the problem starts. She is now looking for part time work come Sept when the night racing is over. And from what I've been told she is going to be given the weekend hours I would normally have had and I will only get an odd evening here and there whenever I'm needed, if I get any hours at all. And to be honst, the way the winter shifts work out I don't think there will be ANY hours for me if that is the case.

I'd just like to know what my entitlements are at this stage? Do I have any? It doesn't seem fair to me particularly as it was made clear to the newer staff member that she was only being hired for the summer and now I'm being cut to make room for her

Would really appreciate any help or advice on the matter. Thanks and apologies for being so long winded

Comments

Advertisement