Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insuring a stelth campervan

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi all
    i just go my ford transit re registered by the motor tax office as a motor home.
    now next step is ,who will insure a stelth camper van,it has a full camping interior gas bed table storage sing blah blah....
    but no rear windows just skylights,i dont want rear windows as i want maxium security, i also have a bulk head at the moment but will probally put a door in this to make the van walk through.

anyone have a stealth camper insured in the rep of ireland,can i keep it insured on my commerical policy?

thanks
    darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you're van has been re-classified as a motorhome then you will not be covered by your commercial policy. You will need to take out private motorhome insurance. Insurance companies make no distinction between stealth or not, although some might have issues with the bulkhead. I know dolmens do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 godarraghgo

cool ,go info there i did see dolmen want it to be walk through, i wonder would scrambelling over the middle seal count as walk through,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Stuarts will want a walk through too. I thought they did want a window in the rear too. When I was looking at doing a conversion I found dolmen and stuarts helpful over both phone and email, so I'd advise contacting them directly to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sirpix

If your camper is a conversion ,you will be required to provide 7 photographs if it is not an original camper. Front ,side ,rear,interior, gas connections and storage. The interior to include shot of sink, cooker and walkway from cab to back,as these are the requirments for acceptable campers.Dolmen will provide you with a checklist.You will not be able to keep it covered under your private commercial insurance.If you are offered cover; have the conversion valued properly, as in the event of a claim, the insurer will default to the base commercial value in the absence of proof of specification. An engineers report will be required if the vehicle is 15 years old or over.If the broker states they do not want a valuers report get them to record that they are accepting your stated value as the value of the vehicle on the proposal form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

My friend has a ducato with three seats across the front no problem getting it insured with stuarts. I suppose skinny people cansqueeze between the seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

A self build of any age will need an engineers report. Older coachbuilt ones will need a report too, as you say of 15 years or older.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

how did this pan out for you? im planning a stealth build also. im actually planning on leaving it looking like a bread van, complete with signwriting.
    wondering if the insurance comanies will take exception.

cant see why they would care, but, this is Ireland..

cool ,go info there i did see dolmen want it to be walk through, i wonder would scrambelling over the middle seal count as walk through,

Yes. I've 3 seats.
    Taking the photo from reasonably far away may improve the illusion of a larger gap. It was never an issue for me in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes. I've 3 seats.
    Taking the photo from reasonably far away may improve the illusion of a larger gap. It was never an issue for me in any case.
    When this came up before more recently than this thread, it was suggested that the real issue is that there's no bulk head.

Advertisement