Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reef Advice

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi there,

I think im at a comfortable level to try a reef out, any advice on the best first time reef? Something with an easy exit if you get in trouble and not to shallow!

I was told the Peak in Bundoran at high tide would be a good bet...what you think?

Cheers in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Wopp wrote: »
    Hi there,

I think im at a comfortable level to try a reef out, any advice on the best first time reef? Something with an easy exit if you get in trouble and not to shallow!

I was told the Peak in Bundoran at high tide would be a good bet...what you think?

Cheers in advance for any advice!

Your not going to want to hear this and probably won't believe me. When your ready to surf a reef, it won't be an issue, it'lll just be another surf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Easkey left or one of the Lahinch lefts are always good to start.

When I started on reefs, I surfed the easkey left at first light when not many people were around, than headed back to beachs for the rest of the day.

Trick is not to head out in big or tricky conditions, pick a small'ish swell and light offshore winds

If its busy to else where

Also sit on the shoulder for a while and watch for the pocket/ place were people take off at, may also help to shadow one of the surfers out there...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I would echo what Rodent said. First time out on a reef is always going to be a bit of a nerve wracker like any venture into the unknown. I only made the step up this year. Go out with a couple of people you know who are better than you.

THere's a few right handers around where I live that only really work in the winter, one fairly often and the other not so much. I went out on an unusually quiet day on the less often one, I didn't catch a single wave, was way intimidated by the size and power, even though they weren't. Was with a few more experienced mates, I did go for a few but was too far out on the shoulder and didn't really commit. It was a good experience though to get a feel for what it's like out there in the bigger stuff and it's relatively safe if you sit out on the shoulder well away from where the waves are breaking.

The 2nd time I went out on a reef was at the other one that works regular enough. It's a lot deeper and safer than the first one, I caught one wave that day and I've surfed there quite a few times since, getting more and more comfortable with it. Just ease yourself into it and you'll be fine, if you stay out on the shoulder and watch the waves to get a feel for them then when you feel you're ready just go for it, just watch for the sneaker sets!

I've only been out at Easky Left once, I had an injury so couldn't do much, and I **** bricks when I saw the size of it anyway, camped there for a couple of days watching my mates surf it, seemed to be mellower when the tide was lower and geting in and out looked a lot safer. I was in near high tide and got out at the pier, the rip can be bad there sometimes though so just watch for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Your not going to want to hear this and probably won't believe me. When your ready to surf a reef, it won't be an issue, it'lll just be another surf.

Cheers for the advice. I know what you mean, but everyone has their first reef break :)

Sure ill be paddling out on either The Peak or in Lahinch soon...ill let you know if its a good experience or not!

Completely disagree with lowpockets on this one

Some places are just special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

rodento wrote: »

Don't I remember you having to be rescued a few times?
    The pier in easky?
    You really the right man to be offering advice?

And yes, places are special, but the point I was making is once you are ready to surf on a reef, you will be surfing at a level that the fact it's a reef won't make any difference to you.
    (I really hate having to spell things out)

The pier in easky?

And yes, places are special, but the point I was making is once you are ready to surf on a reef, you will be surfing at a level that the fact it's a reef won't make any difference to you.

Haha, I just wanted to know if there is any reefs to stay away from not is my level ok for a reef....as in the peak being a good choice or not? Im the kind of person who likes to start small thats all!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Have to agree with LP above, but if you are adamant about making this a big step then;
    If the Peak is working well, or the reefs in Lahinch for example (and as mentioned above), they are generally going to be busy - you do not want to be getting in others way and messing up others session or getting into a nasty situation where boards / bodies are getting into hassle. For my money, there are two steps in surfing reefs for first time(s).

1. Watch from the shore as several sets roll through, get a feel for the place and the way the water moves around. Paddle out on a reasonable day and watch others (especially those catching waves well) from well off the shoulder - where they paddle out, where they sit, what the line up atmosphere / pecking order is like, the take off position and line, the pull out section, the action of the tide on these positions, where the channel is, where the safe section for the clean up set is etc. Think of these sessions as a learning experience, but I would really caution not going for a wave until you have gone through the above. As you surf more and more, these observations will become instinct and you will generally read a spot from the shore but there is no substitute for watching from reasonably close.

2. Paddle out on a smaller quiet day, feel the rips, sit in the line up, watch the order of those out catching waves, do not get in others way, if the opportunity comes along, take a wave and see how is goes.

The pier in easky?

At the risk for repeating myself, I completely disagree with you on this one low pockets. Your first reef experience not only should be a memorable experience, in a coming of age kinda way, but it also opens up a whole new world of possibilities to an average surfer. Something that you'll treasure in the years to come.

As for me been rescued, what difference does it make, surfing is an adventure sport, one has to take risks to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

At the risk for repeating myself, I completely disagree with you on this one low pockets. Your first reef experience not only should be a memorable experience, in a coming of age kinda way, but it also opens up a whole new world of possibilities to an average surfer. Something that you'll treasure in the years to come.

As for me been rescued, what difference does it make, surfing is an adventure sport, one has to take risks to progress.

Em no you have to spend time in the water and not get killed, how you are alive I do not know, nine lives and all that. But don't encourage others to get into trouble or worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

If you are new to reefs, they are nearly more dangerous when there is small surf. This is due to the uneven bottom contours resulting in very shallow spots. It might be better to start when the reef is head high. There'd be a bit more water on the reef.

Easkey left isn't so bad, worth ckecking out lahinch lefts and dougie as well. One thing you need to consider is the option tide times for the reefs you plan to surf, some need a low tide to break and aren't great in high tides, while others need mid to high tides to surf... These one need care as if the tide gets to low the break either gets to shallow or sucks dry, not a place you want to get suck out on.

One trick is to get get the footprints surf guide & the stormrider guides, look for intermediate grade reefs, not ones for experts only

Their is something special about surfing reefs, a buzz that most beachs just don't give you, always felt sorry for those who don't feel the buzz

And as for what spacehopper says, enjoy you time in the water but don't let others hold you back, you'll either get battered or have a really good time, either way you'll learn loads

Looking back over the last 10 years of surfing, I wouldn't change a thing :D

Easkey left isn't so bad, worth ckecking out lahinch lefts and dougie as well. One thing you need to consider is the option tide times for the reefs you plan to surf, some need a low tide to break and aren't great in high tides, while others need mid to high tides to surf... These one need care as if the tide gets to low the break either gets to shallow or sucks dry, not a place you want to get suck out on.

One trick is to get get the footprints surf guide & the stormrider guides, look for intermediate grade reefs, not ones for experts only

Their is something special about surfing reefs, a buzz that most beachs just don't give you, always felt sorry for those who don't feel the buzz

And as for what spacehopper says, enjoy you time in the water but don't let others hold you back, you'll either get battered or have a really good time, either way you'll learn loads

Looking back over the last 10 years of surfing, I wouldn't change a thing :D

Cheers for the response, ill check those guides out! The three places that keep coming up are The Peak at high tide, inside left and easkey left...I think ill take it slow....paddle out and see how others take it.

If im feelin it from there ill try for one or two...:D

Just one thing...

Easkey and other breaks can be quite mellow in a smallish swell, say 2m - but they are a completely different beast when the swell/period picks up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

In regards to surfing a reef, the wave will generally be more consistent and shouldn't be shifting around unlike many a beach break.
    Make note where the REAL lineup begins, position yourself here/on the shoulder where its safe to have a yap with yer mates or watch the action where you're not in the way of those actually on the wave.

One of my local reef breaks in Sligo, when its busy, often has many visiting surfers, beginners, gormless or whatever who will sit inside getting in the way.
    The potential for damage is huge particularly on bigger days but still they sit inside.
    Good luck but remember there is also the safety of others to consider as well as your own.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BB_1983

I was at the same stage around a year ago, I still havent ventured out on the reefs since because of lack of surfing and fitness this year so far. Hoping to get to that stage again the next few months.

At the time when I was looking into it a surf school in lahinch was recommended to me, http://www.benssurfclinic.com/..
    He runs improver courses and will bring you out to surf cornish left for your first reef surf, Ive heard good reports and would probably do no harm for the sake of 25euro to have someone experienced there purely to watch and guide you. Dont know if surfcoach or any of them in bundoran do the same.

Let me know how you get on and where you end up trying it, as I said I hope to be at that stage again soon myself once I'm back fit and surfing well again.
    Good Luck.,

One thing I was reminded of today when exiting is to watch your feet/ankles as you stumble out of the water.
    Often there may be many little crevices & nooks in the reef over which you are walking to get 'em stuck in. Not great when you've the possibility of having a wave wash over you.

Also it's more than likely that you'll have your arse handed to you on quite a few occasions and dragged 'cross the reef, but sure it'll only toughen you up!!:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    One thing I was reminded of today when exiting is to watch your feet/ankles as you stumble out of the water.
    Often there may be many little crevices & nooks in the reef over which you are walking to get 'em stuck in. Not great when you've the possibility of having a wave wash over you.

Also it's more than likely that you'll have your arse handed to you on quite a few occasions and dragged 'cross the reef, but sure it'll only toughen you up!!:D

Yea, having to decide whether to protect your board or your body from the incoming white wash is no fun, I always choose my board though :D

Wear boots:eek:

Muscle banks where horrific today:D

Booties are for girls Rodent, maybe ya should leave the glassy reefs to the lads...:p

'Tis all part of the experience folks!!

• Advertisement

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Booties are for girls Rodent, maybe ya should leave the glassy reefs to the lads...:p

'Tis all part of the experience folks!!

Yea go play hockey! Whoa deja vu...... :pac:

Did I tell ya to watch for the wide ones:eek:

231108.jpg

Saw that on MSW, did ya look at the rest of the shoot, someone posted a link to it in the comments. It's the most terrifying looking wave I've ever seen. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Go deep or go home was the lesson i was taught regarding reefs.Hurts at first but you learn to love it:D:D:D

Advertisement