Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Athlone

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to Athlone in Sept. Apart form the college itself and it's activities, what's Athlone like to live in? Is there much to do etc?

I guess I need people to sell the idea of living in Athlone to me (or saying it's a ****hole if that's your opinion)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

jimmurt wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm moving to Athlone in Sept. Apart form the college itself and it's activities, what's Athlone like to live in? Is there much to do etc?

I guess I need people to sell the idea of living in Athlone to me (or saying it's a ****hole if that's your opinion)

Thanks.

I used to live there and I honestly hope I never have to move back there. Its a great place if you like shopping but after that its just a big town. Its not the worse place in the world but it is expensive. Best of luck in the AIT ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

jimmurt wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.
    I've lived in Athlone all my life and while it does have its fair share of "undesirables" it could be a lot worse. You have plenty of pubs in town and near the college and there's three nightclubs, two in town and one just up the road from the college. If you're into live music there's always bands playing in Scribes (the student union bar in the college) and on Thursday nights The Castle Inn in town is the place to go for music. Across town there's Leisure World where you can get a great deal on bowling and they've pool tables and arcade games there. As was said before there's plenty of shops to look around and there's Tesco and Dunnes in town as well. Getting from the college into town is no hassle at all as there are two bus companies running a service between the college and Golden Island shopping centre.

There are a few areas to keep away from, namely the very back of Willow Park which is across the road from the college. Although it's not as bad as it was a couple of years ago try to stay clear of it both during the day and at night.

Good luck with college though!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭teaholic

Its not the worst place in the world to live! I have been here 7 years now and I would NEVER have said I'd be here this long!

The only thing that bothers me is there is no mountains!! Tis a bit on the flat side, but the fact its not too far from Galway or Dublin makes for great road trips!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

bunch of poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

athlone is grand, i'm starting in september too, but i'll be living at home as i'm only a 20minute drive from the college.
    has everything you could want, cinema, pubs, clubs etc.
    there are a few scumbags about, but name me somewhere where you don't get them.
    i live near athlone, mullingar and longford and i'd head out in athlone, the other 2 are kips imo.
    i was in the college before a few years ago and its grand, good talent about too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

All ya gota do is stay away from the local types and you should be sweet. As for things to do, well it depends on where your from whether you think the town has good nightlife. If coming from a major city then it's gonna seem small and boring if your coming from a really small town or village, then Athlone is gonna seem like the business for nightlife.

There are lots of clubs in AIT although by checking the societies page on boards i'd imagine that there not run very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

All ya gota do is stay away from the local types and you should be sweet....

There are lots of clubs in AIT although by checking the societies page on boards i'd imagine that there not run very well.

So, avoid my best friends and boyfriend?

The vast majority of people from Athlone are lovely. You will meet people from all over the country and beyond(AIT has a large Erasmus/International programme), as well as from the town itself. No one place is "full" of scumbags, I know just as many from Monaghan as anywhere else I've been to.

Ps. I've ran two clubs and one society for three of the four years I was a student here. The expression "Herding cats" was used quite a bit. Try getting 20+ people to actually get involved and do things, and arrange tri-weekly activities, while getting all your final year projects in, then get back to me...

Advertisement