Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics standards

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Excellent choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Scofflaw wrote: »
    OK, I wasn't at all sure what you were getting at earlier when you said that the 'actionable' reports conflicted with the view that a majority of posters had no particular issues with the forum!

People reporting posts aren't usually expressing an issue with the forum's moderation, though - they're expressing an issue with a particular post or poster. And those are largely acted on, although some users do report people for disagreeing with them too vehemently, or may have misunderstood humour, for example.

So I'm not quite sure why that would lead to perplexity?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Sorry, my point was more at the notion that it seemed to be "noisy posters" who had a problem with the forum. I accept that mods can't be around 24/7 and yes, I've found they do act on reported posts.
    nesf wrote: »
    The thing is the average boards user just doesn't report posts. They either don't know how or can't be bothered or whatever. It was ever thus.

Indeed, just as the average user doesn't get involved in Feedback threads but that seems to be taken as meaning the forum is running fine.

Anyway good luck to the mods. Extra manpower has been appointed so that's a big issue addressed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

K-9 wrote: »
    Extra manwolfpower has been appointed...

fyp ;)

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    Permabear wrote: »

:mad:

How unpc of me!

Us Canini stick together so I'm sure bluewolf will forgive me!

:D

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sorry, my point was more at the notion that it seemed to be "noisy posters" who had a problem with the forum. I accept that mods can't be around 24/7 and yes, I've found they do act on reported posts.

Indeed, just as the average user doesn't get involved in Feedback threads but that seems to be taken as meaning the forum is running fine.

Anyway good luck to the mods. Extra manpower has been appointed so that's a big issue addressed.

Well, for reference, some of our regular post reporters aren't in this thread and aren't complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Sure - I would draw a line, myself, between "problems with the forum" in the sense that we're looking at here, and "problems on the forum" which lead to reported posts.

Hope that makes sense!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Update:

Please welcome Dr. Galen as a moderator of Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

It seems to me a lot of the complaints from certain vocal posters on here (not all of course!) are motivated not by the issues, but a personal grudge against one or more members of the mod team.

Perhaps some of those people should consider relocating elsewhere in order to establish their desired elitist debating chamber where the plebs wont comment and they can revel in their perceived superiority and re-live the "good old days" when the majority had little interest in politics as everything was going smoothly. The only way they can get what they desire here is if access is restricted and new folk are banned. Lots of moaning about low standards, but no realistic proposals as to how things could change. The idea seems to be to moan about it and hope Scofflaw and co can put a magic sentence or two into the charter which will somehow fix everything.

With a few exceptions (I think they were mainly to do with a lack of manpower) I think the mod team do a good job. Lots of people are interested in politics today, and everyone has an opinion, and of course a vote. Its impossible to ensure that everyone posts up to your "lofty" standards... In fact I find it rather amusing that some of the people moaning about a decline in standards have posted some of the most inane, ridiculous things I have ever had the misfortune to read.

Personally speaking I will soon stop contributing to the politics forum for a number of reasons, boredom at the same old faces and the same old lines being one, and the unfair and inconsistent moderation that threads about the north or the troubles receive being the main one. I've made my thoughts clear on what my issues are a number of times, and despite whispers of a Northern Politics forum with a tailored charter, something I feel is needed, nothing has been done. Or indeed clarification on what exactly is permitted to be said, and what isn't.

Anyway, I think the two new mods were very good picks, Bluewolf was one I didn't expect, it was a pleasant surprise, best of luck to yourself and Dr Galen and whoever the third person will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

:mad:

How unpc of me!

Us Canini stick together so I'm sure bluewolf will forgive me!

:D

Is that like a panini?:pac:

Hi dr g o/

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is that like a panini?:pac:

Hi dr g o/

You have me hungry now!

Welcome aboard ye 2 and good luck.

The couple of NI threads I've posted on lately looked okay Wolfe Tone, mods intervened because it was going round in circles. I've always thought of the politics mods as pretty consistent, or as near as can be expected. Posters don't help themselves sometimes as the riot thread showed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Overall, the mods are doing a good job IMO.
    It's almost an impossible task.

Know-it-all-ism is a bigger wrecker of threads than low quality posts IMO.
    When some of our high-profile posters frequently engage in discussion purely for the purpose of ''converting'' their ''opponent'', and not for exchanging ideas and taking on board other points of view, it makes a mockery of the whole idea of a discussion forum.
    Ok, some amount of arguing is a given - it is a Politics forum after all. But there's a way to do it and a way not to do it.

I also find it a bit amusing that some people complaining about low standards are partial to posting their own low quality posts. Beautifully worded posts, but still of little substance.

I think some posters treat the Politics forum purely as a place to argue, battle and defeat or even convert the other posters.
    If posters refuse to treat it as a discussion forum, there's not a whole lot the mods can do about it IMO. They can set a good example when they post, but they do that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Ah - fair point. Apologies for the misunderstanding!

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Perhaps it's a lack of Critical Thinking....

Or maybe I've just been reading my psychology book too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭The Left Hand Of God

Overheal wrote: »
    Perhaps it's a lack of Critical Thinking....

Or maybe I've just been reading my psychology book too hard.

Or you are trying to look smart and intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,183 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

no there was a point in there somewhere. I'll probably flesh it out over the weekend.

Advertisement