Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croissant Recipe??

Options
  • 04-08-2011 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good croissant recipe?
    I like the Cuisine de France ones, but not really the ones that you buy pre-cooked and stick the into the oven.

I've seen recipes using flour, eggs, salt, sugar and other ingredients, but would it be possible to use something like that Jus-Rol Puff Pastry?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can buy croissant pastry in most supermarkets.
    It will be in the chilled section, its a beige/brown cardboard tube with metal ends.

You unrolled the cardboard, then the pastry, its already pre-scored in trangles. Cut cut along lines and roll up into the correct shape, then bang in hot oven.

Pretty much prefect for what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Croissant making is a long and arduous process, best left to the professionals! This is a great video btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpxkGB1OyY&feature=player_embedded Hypnotic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Mellor wrote: »
    You can buy croissant pastry in most supermarkets.
    It will be in the chilled section, its a beige/brown cardboard tube with metal ends.

You unrolled the cardboard, then the pastry, its already pre-scored in trangles. Cut cut along lines and roll up into the correct shape, then bang in hot oven.

Pretty much prefect for what you are looking for.

Are these nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

It's not really a recipe you're looking for so, you don't want to make them from scratch, as mentioned above you should just buy the croissant pastry yourself, or just keep buying the Cuisine de France ones, it's just cutting out the baking bit for you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're really nice - I sometimes put a teaspoon of Nutella into them before I roll them up. Aldi also sell them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Good to know Aldi sell them as I've not seen them in my local Dunnes or Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

They're really nice - I sometimes put a teaspoon of Nutella into them before I roll them up. Aldi also sell them
    Have they started selling them again? Its been a few years since I've seen them in Aldi, but they were pretty good. If you fancy making them from scratch, BBCgoodfood have a pretty fool proof recipe on their site, they can be made in bulk and frozen and defrosted when needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

shinikins wrote: »
    Have they started selling them again?

Actually, it's been a while since I bought them :o

I'll look out for them next time I'm in.

If you fancy making them from scratch, BBCgoodfood have a pretty fool proof recipe on their site, they can be made in bulk and frozen and defrosted when needed.
    Have you got a link to that by any chance? I've tried searching but cant find it, only recipes using croissants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Aldi discontinued their croissant dough about two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

JohnK wrote: »
    Have you got a link to that by any chance? I've tried searching but cant find it, only recipes using croissants.

Apologies, it was actually the Danish Pastry recipe I was thinking of, which is similar enought to a basic croissant recipe. I have tried the Danish recipe and got very good results the first time round. They may not have been pretty but they tasted amazing! Must clear some space in the freezer and make a fresh batch as they go down very well around these parts :D

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Aldi discontinued their croissant dough about two years ago.
    Pity. Had another look in my local Tesco too and no sign of it there either :(
    Apologies, it was actually the Danish Pastry recipe I was thinking of, which is similar enought to a basic croissant recipe. I have tried the Danish recipe and got very good results the first time round. They may not have been pretty but they tasted amazing! Must clear some space in the freezer and make a fresh batch as they go down very well around these parts :D
    Ta very much, will have to give those a go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

olaola wrote: »
    Croissant making is a long and arduous process, best left to the professionals! This is a great video btw: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhpxkGB1OyY&feature=player_embedded Hypnotic

wow, awesome video.

Well, I did want to make my own but after looking at that video... jesus it's a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Guill wrote: »
    Are these nice?
    They are lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Fart wrote: »
    wow, awesome video.

Well, I did want to make my own but after looking at that video... jesus it's a lot of work.

You wouldn't think croissant making would keep you interested for 10 mins! :)

Just in case anyone is interested, my local tesco had the tubes of croissant dough today so they might be trying them out again.

Advertisement