Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nasal congestion in 3 week old

Options
  • 04-08-2011 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Any remedies? I've been using a nasal spray but not getting any relief with it. The public health nurse gave me saline drops and can get a little mucus out maybe once a day (it's green). Is still feeding ok but is snorting all the time while trying to sleep. the nasal passage way that i can see when i look up his nose is clear. The congestion seems to be higher up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Karvol is a great help just place a few drops on a hanky & place in babys room at night just before bed kinda like vicks for babys :) we use it quite alot & its very effective........Also tryed the saline drops they do help abit but like i said look up http://www.karvol.co.uk/ you can buy them in any pharmacy think dunnes stores sell them too there a small capsule that you just snip the top off ;) Hope this helps.......

EDIT: hhhmmmmmmm just read that there from 3 months!!

don't think there's alot available for 3 weeks old other than saline drops :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How about one of those sucker things to bring them out??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My little fella had that when he was younger too. There's a little kit you can get in the chemist...it sprays a saline solution up the nose and then you suck it out with a plunger type thing. I only used it as a very last resort though as it seemed a bit cruel :o

The other thing I did was I just got warm water on my finger, held him like a kind of football under my arm so his head was tilted back and tapped the warm water up his nose, that always made him sneeze whatever was up there out.

We used a humidifier in his room too...that was as he got older, maybe about 6 weeks or so...we'd put the humidifier on about a half an hour before he was going to bed and that seemed to help him breathe easier, and then as he got older again we used Olbas oil in a little machine thing that emitted it into the air, which again would help clear him out.

But the warm water up the nose was the best one for the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Thanks for the replies.. at the GP now so will hopefully get some help. How long was your little one suffering from a blocked nose? I hate watching my little one struggling to breath. He goes so red in the face sometimes. He definitely finds it easier when he's sitting up.

He was always prone to it for some reason Sheebs. It doesn't sound like your little guy though, it was only when he was lying down or trying to drink his bottle, it didn't seem to bother him when he was sitting up. It was from about 2 weeks old, I'll never forget the first time he couldn't breathe and I was in such a panic, I rang everyone I knew and no one was around I didn't know what the hell to do...eventually he sneezed and I don't mean to be disgusting, but omg what came out was horrendous :eek: Some peeps told me it was because he was a section baby it made him more prone to it, but his dad suffers pretty badly from allergies, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's that.

Hope you get something more informative from the GP. It's not nice seeing them suffer so young.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

+1 on all of the above.

Also you can try putting the cot at a bit of an incline so that the head is slightly raised. We did this by putting some big books under the legs.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    +1 on all of the above.

Also you can try putting the cot at a bit of an incline so that the head is slightly raised. We did this by putting some big books under the legs.

Oh yes! That was the other thing we did.....there was a kind of step shaped pillow that came with the pram (not a clue why) and we put that under the mattress to raise it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

maybe steaming the baby might help too? steam up the bathroom and bring him in there for a few minutes?

Doctor just told me to keep using the nasal spray and that it could last a year!!! I'll lose my life if it lasts a whole year...this week has been hard enough. He is definitely worse at night so i think maybe the fact that the air is dryer upstairs and that it's warmer may have something to do with it. Thinking about getting a humidifier. Can anyone recommend one?
    Also should i be looking to get a warm mist or cool mist humidifier?

Bought a warm mist humidifier and i can feel the difference in the air in the bedroom but the little man is still very congested!! What now or how long can i realistically expect this to last? Will it ease off with age as he grows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Our little fella had that around the same age. We used the calpol saline spray. Someone suggested karvol but it isn't recommended for newborns even if it's on a hanky as it can over power them.

We were told to bring him into the bathroom while having a shower; put him on your lap, turn him on his tummy with head downwards. This is very effective after saline spray or if he's crying. It gets everything out much quicker. He hated that syringe thing. We were also told to incline the cot/crib mattress.

There is an element of waiting it out unfortunately but with our son it cleared up around 3.5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Probably still has mucus from birth. I have to plus one the saline spray. My girl had it for a couple of days. One day after using the spray, she sneezed and a massize snot came out and she was perfect then. The saline helps lubricate it.

Bought a warm mist humidifier and i can feel the difference in the air in the bedroom but the little man is still very congested!! What now or how long can i realistically expect this to last? Will it ease off with age as he grows?

It definitely does clear up. As he gets older it does get easier to deal with, but if you use some of the tips in the thread you should be able to help him along. I know this sounds so obvious, but I'll say it just in case, as the months pass just be careful and keep his hands clean bcause they have a tendancy to rub their noses and then their eyes and then you've a whole other heap of hassle to contend with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Cover the outside of the babies nose in vaseline and somehow it loosens the mucus and allows it flow. This was a tip given to me by a public health nurse and it works well.

Advertisement