Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC fascias/soffits/gutters quality/price

• 04-08-2011 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Why are the quotes for the above work so dear? the materials aren't that expensive, its way out of synch, way out for the time and knowledge required.
    I'm not a great fan of climbing a ladder, if i was less concerned and thought people were spending the money I'd take it up as a job, except I think its kinda like daylight robbery.

All lads are doing is hammering it on with a few nails, I think some even believe the clean exterior appearance somehow improves the structural integrity of the material supporting the uPVC. At the least, it would be worth treating the wooden fascia and soffit, at best I'd prefer to have a couple of screws fixing each length of plastic
    If anything I could see it trapping water/condensation water that could help deteriorate the wood behind it quicker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

going rate here is about £30 a metre labour, 2 man job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

does the quality of work justify that in many cases?
    how'd that figure come about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Merch wrote: »
    does the quality of work justify that in many cases?
    how'd that figure come about?

I don't do it myself but I was getting some soffit board for a PVC ceiling I was doing and a guy asked me to price 60m of work for him and when I asked my joiner he said that was the cost. Guess £15 per man and there's a few days work in it

Advertisement