Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a purebred ?

• 04-08-2011 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

About two years ago I purchased a pair of Twin purebred registered Charolais heifers. They both calved this year one of them had a typical Charolais calf ie all white, nice size bone confirmation etc the other one had a not so nice calf.
    Both out of the same purebred Charolais bull.
    If you look at the picture you`ll see the calf is not all white, instead its off white with a pair of white socks and overall the calf is pure quality.
    To me this is not a purebred so it beggars the question is the cow not a purebred either?
    Is there any way I can find out, and what will the Charolais society say

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

some charos can come an off white colout ... even yellowish the colour usually the get whiter as the get older and their coat grows .. although from looking at the pic and your description of the quality differences u would wonder.... does your neighbour have a limmy bull that can jump fences????
    you could get her tested if you were interested!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Could be a fresian in there somewhere......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Is there any way of finding out for sure ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

non-white nose on a charolaois probably means there is a friesian or other in there somewhere but it could be from way back and was a dormant gene.. so I was told at grange about a year ago. Exporters tend not to go for them I was also told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

take some hairs from the calf and some hairs from the sire i think and send to whetherbys in kildare for dna ? or from the dam they might have the dna of the grand sire on their books worth a try they could match them up... give the charollaois society a ring... i f i had a pb angus calf born with white socks i would be very slow to say it was a pedigree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

I know what your saying whelan, the best I can do with this calf is sell him as a commercial
    I suspect though that its the mother thats not the purebred ie they aren't twins.
    Who are whetherbys ? are they the same crowd you send the hair from the bull off to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Grecco wrote: »
    Who are whetherbys ? are they the same crowd you send the hair from the bull off to?
    same crowd

yup think its 35 euro for a dna test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I've seen PB Charolais come cream coloured (indeed I like the cream coloured!) and I've seen them white with cream blotches.
    Very hard to say from that pic, but you never know, maybe a strong weanling had his way.
    I DNA tested a CH cow some years ago, paid by the vendor at the time, Wetherby's naas, I supplied a hair sample from the calf and dam.
    The Dept also made me DNA test a set of twins once, after I registered 3 sets of twins out of my first 10 cows that calved but thats another story!

So. If you NEED to know, DNA test will tell you.

if you are getting a dna test done you pull the hairs as its the follicles they use for doing the test rather than cutting them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Is there any possibility the daddy is NOT the daddy?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Is there any possibility the daddy is NOT the daddy?
    hence the dna test ???

Advertisement