Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strava now has unlimited uploads for free

• 04-08-2011 9:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

Strava has recently lifted the 5 uploads a month limit for free users. Its a decent alternative to Garmin Connect and Ridewithgps.

The best feature it has is it analyses your rides to detect hills and then creates what are called segments. i.e. Howth Village Side or Howth Sutton Side. It then creates a leaderboard containing the times over the designated climbs of all riders who have submitted a ride which contains the segment.

Handy for a bit of fun, and to compare how you fare on certain climbs compared to other people. Its handy for a bit of craic and maybe some friendly boards rivalry!

I wouldn't use it for all my rides, but its a bit of fun to submit any of those over recognised Strava climbs, just to see how you compare to some of your peers.

stravaclimbhowthsuttons.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

seems to have crashed totally though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

seems to have crashed totally though...

Works fine for me :confused:

Inquitus wrote: »
    Works fine for me :confused:

hmm... I can get the site fine, but when it goes to "https" for login stuff I get that "no can do" page...

I think work was blocking it.

http://app.strava.com/segments/652231

at least I'm not last ;)

I'm not sure I like the idea of the rankings, could lead to quite a lot of silliness :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I haven't come across this website before, so I've just signed up and uploaded a couple of spins I've done. It's pretty cool, it gives a nice bit of info about the climbs (or "segments") that you've done, and the rankings make things exciting too.
    Interestingly, it seems to categorise climbs slightly differently than MapMyRide. Climbs on Strava seem to have a higher average gradient and so are a harder category compared to MapMyRide (no more MapMyRide for me then, Strava FTW!) :cool:
    Also, I've just downloaded the Strava Android App, I must give that a shot next time I'm on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've just loaded all my garmin rides onto strava and I can't see much difference in this and the garmin site. Haven't had a good look at it all yet, just a first impression.
    Don't know if I'll be entering anything on any leaderboards as I'm pretty sure I know where I'll be on there..

I've just loaded all my garmin rides onto strava and I can't see much difference in this and the garmin site. Haven't had a good look at it all yet, just a first impression.
    Don't know if I'll be entering anything on any leaderboards as I'm pretty sure I know where I'll be on there..

The only real benefit of this over the other sites is the leaderboards for climbs and the ability to compare yourself with your peers, or compete with your friends on said climbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You also seem to be able to segment the uploads. Garmin connect has added courses and is promising more features so I'll upload to both. Besides this news is is so yesterday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Been having a closer look at a few things and it's giving me hassle trying to load someone else's route onto my garmin, ie I can't do it. Found a site that's supposed to change the file format for me but all I got was a screen of jibberish. To be fair, I haven't tried doing this with any other sites yet but I'll be looking into it later

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Idleater wrote: »
    ..Besides this news is is so yesterday :)

maybe but the segment comparison is great for fun and competitiveness whether thats with yourself or others. Its actually very addictive, you will never look at a run of the mill ride up a hill you ride a lot in the same light, after it tells you when you get home youve hit a new KOM. The new sufferfest score is an amusing measure as well. The dashboard showing your recent rides and others who you follow is quite interesting as well. Seems like it more popular on the continent and in the States than here.

• Advertisement

you can publish your own segments on your favourite bit of tarmac, then see how you do each time, and others if you make it public.:)

the segment thing is a good bit of fun. maybe a bit reckless for downhills though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

Well Garmin is refusing to accept the upload of today's Randonee. Guess it's time to try Strava!

Does anyone know why I appear at the top right here - http://www.strava.com/segments/luggala-climb-from-ballinastoe-652460 - but not in the list?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I can see you on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

It's a pretty cool site , I like how you can compare and analyse the segments. You can try and figure out where you are losing those valuable seconds in the descents ;)

I can see you on the list.

Interesting... are you logged in as a user?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

buffalo wrote: »
    Interesting... are you logged in as a user?

Yep. I'm logged in as me.

It's acted funny on me before. For example, on my home PC I can't see leaderboards in Firefox, but can in IE. I can see them on Firefox on my work PC.

Also, the enter your weight to calculate power thing never seems to work for me.

Yep. I'm logged in as me.

It's acted funny on me before. For example, on my home PC I can't see leaderboards in Firefox, but can in IE. I can see them on Firefox on my work PC.

Also, the enter your weight to calculate power thing never seems to work for me.

Dang, I can see me on the list as a user, but not when I'm logged out. I'm trying to figure out if it's a privacy thing. I want all the world to hail me as leader of the Luggala ascent!

At least until the next time Diarmuid goes up it. :D

But yes, very nifty site, though I've hit a few bugs already.

buffalo wrote: »
    Dang, I can see me on the list as a user, but not when I'm logged out. I'm trying to figure out if it's a privacy thing. I want all the world to hail me as leader of the Luggala ascent!.

There's nothing wrong with Strava is there? This is just a ruse to shout about you being KOM on Luggala :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

had a bad time trying to sign up to that site but got there in the end, will try it out tonight on my cycle and see what happens

oh dear, I'm last on that climb :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

It didn't work for me either until I used my HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

This app is deadlyhas totally re-invigorated my commute!

Yes its great, been using since May. Possibly as time goes by it might not be quite so addictive as one's times plateau a bit on regular routes and as one gets older and slower...possibly...probably...definitely !!!

The number of new users seems to have increased dramatically in the past month which is upping the standard of some of the KOMs.

well a few of us from Swords have signed up and the slagging has commenced. Most are on Boards too.

Will expect to see some commuters in full TT gear. :eek:

Knowing the Swords guys, they are probably commuting in the car with the Garmin on the dashboard....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

shaungil wrote: »
    This app is deadlyhas totally re-invigorated my commute!

Was looking at your times on it with mouth open! >>> :eek: <<<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Knowing the Swords guys, they are probably commuting in the car with the Garmin on the dashboard....

Speaking of same, can anybody vouch for this guy's (sole) ride?
    51kph average from Taylor's to Lamb Doyle's with a VAM of 4536 is seriously impressive ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Icksnay on the rkay

Bring it on

Actually, didn't you do one in the car, and subsequently now have the KOM?

Raam wrote: »
    Actually, didn't you do one in the car, and subsequently now have the KOM?

yeah, my last attempt on the hill climb route. And I didn't even beat the top two times!!

sean_d wrote: »
    Speaking of same, can anybody vouch for this guy's (sole) ride?
    51kph average from Taylor's to Lamb Doyle's with a VAM of 4536 is seriously impressive ;)

That's a descent.

That's a descent.

Looks like an ascent to me.
    http://app.strava.com/rides/999226#18406430

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »

It came up as something different the first time I clicked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

What has happened is that the person who entered the segment had very dodgy ascent data - I ride up there a good bit - it is NOT 8.8% average => VAMS are way off.

I get a gradient of 3.2% average when I look at it in Ascent...

I have flagged the segment for fixing.

Sweet, didn't know you could do that.

What has happened is that the person who entered the segment had very dodgy ascent data - I ride up there a good bit - it is NOT 8.8% average => VAMS are way off.

I get a gradient of 3.2% average when I look at it in Ascent...

51.7kph average is still not credible though surely?

no, not unless he was holding onto something ;)

• Advertisement

No not uphill anyway. The guy has another segment averaging over 50k...
    http://app.strava.com/segments/700436

Bring it on
    Link from Strava :D

Or cheat your way to a wall of unbreakable trophies and enjoy all the fortune, women and power that come with internet cycling fame.

sweet!

:P

Idleater wrote: »

Diarmuid is someone questioning your integrity?

Diarmuid is someone questioning your integrity?

Diarmuid didn't set a KOM to his fridge did he?

That has to be the best cheat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anybody know what the story is with getting old rides up? Have a forerunner 305 and only uploading from late July onwards. Basically sayiong empty beside the others even though they are there

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Anybody know what the story is with getting old rides up? Have a forerunner 305 and only uploading from late July onwards. Basically sayiong empty beside the others even though they are there
    Dont know about that, but if its a small number u can always export from the garmin training centre to tcx files and upload to strava from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

seve65 wrote: »
    Dont know about that, but if its a small number u can always export from the garmin training centre to tcx files and upload to strava from there.

Or else email the same to strava if you have lots and no time (patience). They do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Loads of data from june to mid august, so cant be arsed. I ll just use it going forward

Its also annoyingly picking up 100 odd km of running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Loads of data from june to mid august, so cant be arsed. I ll just use it going forward

What's the matter? Scared your past performances won't get you any imaginary medals :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement