Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return trip home from Sydney

Options
  • 04-08-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

I'm looking to fly back to Ireland at the end of Sept for my brother's wedding. Thing is the flights are all at least $2000 return. That's just to London or Dublin, I'll book a flight to Shannon or Cork with a local airline, Ryanair or the like, where my Aussie dollars will kick ass.

I tried booking with britishairways.co.uk but they were wise to my tricks and charged me in AU$, 2100 of them to be approximate. Is there any ways to use the high value of AU$s to get a cheaper flight, or at least not get raped by the airlines. I need to book soon so the faster the better. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Can you get someone to buy the ticket for you in Eire then you pay them back?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How much do you think the flights should cost/are you willing to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

snubbleste wrote: »
    How much do you think the flights should cost/are you willing to pay?

Not sure how much they should cost but I'm willing to pay the cheapest fare the thieving bastards will charge.

I'll call a friend to check websites from Eire, and my mom will pay the airfair. But I'll want to pay some back at least

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Even looking ahead into early 2012 flights are still over 2k, crazy.

OP, have you looked at alternative routes?
    I flew back home for a visit in March, had a flight leftover to cover the trip over to Dublin but came back via a cheap flight to Los Angeles (I stopped there for a week) then flew to New Zealand and on to Melbourne. Worked out cheaper than doing it the normal route and only added a couple more hours onto journey.

Have a look at Air New Zealand, fantastic airline, they can fly you from Sydney (or Melbourne) to London, you could get a cheapo flight from there to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Air NZ were AU$2770 but I did a search through fin air, who I had a great flight with before in an almost empty plane. They'll send me on Cathay Pacific for $1909, which is the best so far. The question now is: do they have "free" wine in-flight. I love a couple of litres of red on a flight.

I also have a friend in Ireland going to do a search and get back to me after his lunch, so fingers crossed on that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Have you checked how much Eithad are.

Sydney - Abu Dhabi - Dublin

They are over 2000

but

V Austraila are a little under 2000. Its also via Abu Dhabi which Eithad operate the Dublin leg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good luck in getting anything for under 2k AUD. When are you flying back? The girlfriend works in the industry so maybe able to help you with a flight but forget about paying a grand for cheap flights, they don't exist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are plenty of options out there
    China Eastern will get you to Paris return for au$1450..then get an aerlingus flight to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

KLM to London (but 2 stops) from Sydney is under AU 2k right now.

As a Kiwi I usually fly home on Korean Air through London, they're cheap and top-notch (Emirates/Qatar-level service) - give them a try.

Searching on matrix.itasoftware.com - says cheapest is $1800-$1900 thru Bankgok and Mumbai on Qantas and Jet Airways. If you want it cheap, you're going to have to do 2 stops at least during high season!!

Advertisement