Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I look like absolute hell. HELP ME!!!

• 04-08-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

Seriously I can't stress this enough. My skin is going from bad to worse! Only in the last few months. I'm 26 years old! What's happening to me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭monara

Best eat plenty vegetables and drink at least 2 litres of water each day. Avoid cakes, breads,sweets of all kinds. And try to get at least 1 hours walking or other activity each day.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

beware - if you do a diet overhaul it will get worse before it gets better! All that water and goodness pushes all the toxins out first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I'm 26 too, happening me a lot recently too, just on my back though. I think the humid weather is making it worse because I'm sweating so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭pushki

it could be hair conditioner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

I take all my vitamins though and try to eat as much fruit as I can, and drink loads of water (because work is HOT) AND walk 40 minutes to work every day, each way! Maybe it's the humidity? I thought it was my make up and I changed it. I have that La Roche Posay stuff and I've tried everything else, I mean everything, even hydrogen peroxide about a month ago (apparently it's meant to be amazing when used as a toner...which sounds dodgy but I was desperate) and nothing at all is working :(

Should I just go to a dermatolagist? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Do you use face wipes to remove make up? Cos a bad cleansing routine can do that. Also the type of makeup you wear, unclean make up brushes/sponges can spread bacteria.

Go to a dermatologist if it looks angry as it could be a skin infection. Alas hormones can be a culprit too, usually any noticible bodily changes like that are worth a trip to the GP.

People are saying good thinks about Vichy Normaderm, through I haven't forked out for it yet, I might soon. Anyone else tried it for adult problem skin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Go to a dior counter and ask for a sample of one essential. Its my hg skin product. Keeps my skin really clear and fresh looking. Its a bit pricey but it works really well

Eviledna wrote: »
    Do you use face wipes to remove make up? Cos a bad cleansing routine can do that. Also the type of makeup you wear, unclean make up brushes/sponges can spread bacteria.

Hmm. I use wipes sometimes but not often. I use simple cleanser, toner and moisturiser. Maybe I'll clean my brushes again though. Is buying brush soap from Mac or somewhere actually worth the money? Sounds like a gimmick to me.
    slowmoe wrote: »
    Go to a dior counter and ask for a sample of one essential. Its my hg skin product. Keeps my skin really clear and fresh looking. Its a bit pricey but it works really well

Ha, slowmoe, everything to do with my makeup is pricey. Also I'm a Dior/Chanel fanboy. Or fangirl, as it were. One Essential. OK. I'll try that. Thank you so very much. I'll let you know how it goes?

Seriously I'm at my wit's end. I was intensely embarrassed about stuff like this as a teenager and finally, finally I grew up and I really really cannot go through this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

1. Water and tons of it.
    2. Fresh air. get outdoors for at least 1 hour every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I use baby shampoo to clean my make up brushes, works just fine. I also use the simple cleansing wash and their moisturiser and I havent had any problems and my skin would be prone enough to break outs.

I would suggest trying a nice light exfoliator like Dermalogica microfoliant for a while or failing that maybe go for a mini facial for a deeper clean and of course drink plenty of water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rozina

I am having a similar problem, the pigment in my skin is after changing! just around the sides of my eyes and down onto my cheek bones. anyone now how to get it back to normal???

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

I would go talk to someone but for me it's dermalogica all the way. I always say if I had to bring three things to a desert island with me it would be 3 dermalogica products:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

OP I tried so many things but the only thing that worked was prescription antibiotics. I can't believe I waited so long and thought it was skincare or whatever - it was cystic acne. 2 courses later, I get maybe one small spot a month - I keep it under control with teh LRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Could be hormones (stress?)
    More likely its diet related

I would give it a wee while to see if it clears up before paying out anything to help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

What exactly is even going wrong with it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

the same thing happened to me last summer, when I was 26 as well. I'd always had clear skin, barely got any spots then all of a sudden it was like all the spots I never got for the previous 26 years hit at once! The ones I got were sore ,angry ones as well.I can only put it down to being adult acne. I tried everything under the sun but nothing worked until I started using ProActiv (at the suggestion of a friend who'd had the same problem in her mid twenties). It took about 6-7 weeks but the proactiv did clear them.I still get some small spots,usually around that time of the month, but nothing compared to before.
    If nothing else works then I suggest the proactiv, it's worked for me and I continue to use it,but it it is pretty strong stuff and can be harsh on the skin.But then I have very sensitive skin in general.
    I hope something works for you.I know how horrible it can be, it made me really self concious and embarrassed.It can be a real hit for the confidence.
    My biggest problem now is that I'm left with all these little red marks on my face, the scars from scratching and picking at the spots(i won't go anywhere without make up now!).So even if it proves hard do not pick at them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Simple really irritates my skin - makes it really red and breaks out, might be doing the same to you. I'd recommend visiting a Clarins counter, it can be pricey but the difference between ther stuff and some drugstore brands is huge. I had a horrible chemical burn on my face last Christmas and tried everything to get rid.. Applied a layer of beauty flash balm and it disappeared overnight, seriously magical stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

My skin is also gone bad lately.

For the past week my skins has been red and rough and I have tonnes of spots. I have never had as many spots at one time in my whole life.

They are big, red angry looking things. The only time I have spots like them is "that" time of the month, even then, I have one or two big, red angry spots and they are gone within a few days.

I've been using my Clinique anti-blemish spot get and even that can't get rid of these.:eek: Normally when I put that on a spot, the spot is gone within a day or two.
    lainey316 wrote: »
    OP I tried so many things but the only thing that worked was prescription antibiotics. I can't believe I waited so long and thought it was skincare or whatever - it was cystic acne. 2 courses later, I get maybe one small spot a month - I keep it under control with teh LRP.
    Can I ask, what prescription antibiotics were you on? Did you notice any side effects? Did they take long to work?

My dr has asked my if I'd like to try some for my spots, but I have always said no as I'm not overly keen on taking medication for cosmetic reasons, but may consider it if my skin doesn't change soon.:eek::(

I'd be kind of embarrassed to even talk to my doctor about it. But yeah I wear makeup every single day, even if I don't leave the house, and have been for 8 years. I feel like I'm ugly without it.

Clinique has been mentioned a lot. I could go to them as well.

But maybe it could be stress?

I came off some heavy-hitting prescription medication a few months ago and there was some serious scary withdrawal and then some other just stupid stuff in my personal life...plus now I really just can't sleep without sleeping pills.

But I didn't know that that could be doing stuff to my skin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

My skin is also gone bad lately.

For the past week my skins has been red and rough and I have tonnes of spots. I have never had as many spots at one time in my whole life.

They are big, red angry looking things. The only time I have spots like them is "that" time of the month, even then, I have one or two big, red angry spots and they are gone within a few days.

I've been using my Clinique anti-blemish spot get and even that can't get rid of these.:eek: Normally when I put that on a spot, the spot is gone within a day or two.

Can I ask, what prescription antibiotics were you on? Did you notice any side effects? Did they take long to work?

My dr has asked my if I'd like to try some for my spots, but I have always said no as I'm not overly keen on taking medication for cosmetic reasons, but may consider it if my skin doesn't change soon.:eek::(

I took tetralysal (spelling might be slightly wrong). Didn't notice any side effects. It took about 6 weeks to clear up, and was fine for a while, but then recurred, took another 3 weeks and it's been pretty much perfect since - that was about 5 months ago. I had rejected it as an idea first but to be honest I'm sorry I didn't go sooner. Think it was about €22 per month. It wasn't just cosmetic in a way, the whole thing was very depressing and often the spots were very sore, couldn't touch them when they were bad.

• Advertisement

Asry wrote: »
    I'd be kind of embarrassed to even talk to my doctor about it. But yeah I wear makeup every single day, even if I don't leave the house, and have been for 8 years. I feel like I'm ugly without it.

This really cannot be helping. Personally no matter how much I wash my face, I will always have worse skin the day after I've worn makeup.
    It could also be diet stress etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Diet and stress are usually the main factors.

Work on these first.

Then get into the habit of having a good skin care regieme and you'll be laughing.

ps. It's probably not half as bad as you think it is either :) Go easy on yourself.

But going out with makeup is madness! I wear minimal makeup sometimes. It was completely fine until a few months ago. It's mineral makeup with no oil or anything.

But yeah my stress levels won't be changing anytime soon, despite the whole meditation/mindfulness thing. I have pills to control it:o:o

Hmm. OK then. Minimal makeup and go bombard Clinique and Dior. And if THAT doesn't work...hit the doctor :)

But going out with makeup is madness! I wear minimal makeup sometimes. It was completely fine until a few months ago. It's mineral makeup with no oil or anything.

But yeah my stress levels won't be changing anytime soon, despite the whole meditation/mindfulness thing. I have pills to control it:o:o

Hmm. OK then. Minimal makeup and go bombard Clinique and Dior. And if THAT doesn't work...hit the doctor :)

Look asry if you are not leaving the house you don't need to be wearing makeup, surely? If you suffer from that much anxiety about leaving the house without any on I won't suggest it, but go sit in your back garden or something and let your skin get some fresh air as well.

good luck anyway

bluewolf wrote: »
    Look asry if you are not leaving the house you don't need to be wearing makeup, surely? If you suffer from that much anxiety about leaving the house without any on I won't suggest it, but go sit in your back garden or something and let your skin get some fresh air as well.

good luck anyway

Thanks :) And yeah I could definitely manage the garden thing (provided the bf was in work). Good thinkin batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭glitterbug86

Thanks :) And yeah I could definitely manage the garden thing (provided the bf was in work). Good thinkin batman!

Do you mean you won't let your bf see you without makeup? :confused: Doesn't he see you without it at night or in the morning? I don't know much about skincare but since you've been wearing makeup daily for 8 years I wouldn't think it has suddenly caused your skin problem since it hasn't done so before. I can understand you not wanting to go out without makeup but I really think you need to let your skin breathe by going without some days when you're just at home. I'm sure you don't look that bad without it! And you will feel extra nice when you do wear it. Also, while I doubt wearing makeup has caused your skin problems you may be making it worse/stopping it from healing by 1. not allowing it to breathe to heal and 2. recontaminating your face with brushes. Apart from that, make sure a new product didn't cause it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Maybe I'll clean my brushes again though. Is buying brush soap from Mac or somewhere actually worth the money? Sounds like a gimmick to me.

I started off using Mac brush cleanser.

I now buy a large plastic bottle of surgical spirit in Boots (their own brand) for 4euro...

The surgical spirit dissolves the makeup and really cleans the brushes. I do not immerse the brushes, just carefully dip bristles in and agitate until brush head is clean. I then carefully rinse in cold water and air dry on window ledge.

My brushes are Mac and Bobbi Brown, I have had them for years, and treat them with care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Had very bad skin myself up until about a month ago. Like you i'm well past the whole teenage hormone phase and couldnt understand what was going on.

Anyway, since my skin was being all 'teenager-like', i started using witchhazel oil again as a toner, and I think that along with loads of water and increasing my exercise (so that i'm sweating) has helped hugely. Almost back to normal now.

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

Rozina wrote: »
    I am having a similar problem, the pigment in my skin is after changing! just around the sides of my eyes and down onto my cheek bones. anyone now how to get it back to normal???

has the pigment in your skin gotten darker or lighter in these areas?
    pigmentation is very difficult to return to normal ? have u been out in the sun alot or using sunbeds lately ?
    The first thing you need to do is invest in a good daily spf . 15 is not enough , you need to be using a 25-30 EVERY day - even if its spilling rain, it also needs to be broad spectrum ( protects against uva and uvb rays ) this will prevent the pigmentation getting worse . alot of daily moisturisers will have this built in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mini mouse

I came off some heavy-hitting prescription medication a few months ago and there was some serious scary withdrawal and then some other just stupid stuff in my personal life...plus now I really just can't sleep without sleeping pills.

Hi Asry..... dont be embaressed about your skin at all!
    it sounds like a hormonal flare up , would your hormones have been affected by the medication you came off of ?
    also stress will drive your hormones crazy!
    Be very careful what products you choose to go on - your skin could be very sensitive ( most acne type skin is ) and you dont want to go down the road of very harsh alcohol based products that may aggrivate your skin .
    Im a huge dermalogica fan - i would go for a facial and they will do a good analysis on ur skin and reccommend some products to use at home for you . ( also a nice scalp massage during the facial might help chill you out a little ) ...most dermalogica facials will include extractions and this will help clear out some of the congestion .....
    i would give yourself about 3-4 weeks on the products , and if you dont notice a huge improvement you might need to go chat to your gp - a few weeks on an antibiotic may be what you need .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Are you using products that are too harsh for your skin? Definitely bin the wipes, they're terrible for your skin. I tried a few different types when I was younger and my skin kept breaking out. A good wash off lotion cleanser can help balance your skin because it doesn't strip the oil, but it's not so heavy that it'll block pores. Clarins and Vichy do great ones. Use a facecloth and warm water to wash off.

I find when I change moisturisers or cleansers, that if they're even the tiniest bit too heavy I get big, sore spots. Clarins Gentle Day Cream is great, I've been using it all summer, and I've had very few spots at all. Way cheaper on feelunique.co.uk if you do buy Clarins

Hoping someone can help me please!

For the past few days I've had three big horrible, angry looking spots, one on my left cheek beside my nose, another on my forehead and another on my right cheek, close to my hair line.

Anyway, last night a while before I went to bed, I applied my Clinique anti-blemish gel (I apply it a few times a day) so a few minutes before I got into bed, I looked in the mirror and saw there was some of the gel on the skin beside the spots so I peeled it off, after I peeled it off, I noticed I took the outer layer of each spot off, I didn't think anything of it and went to bed.

I got up around 6am for a drink and looked in the mirror as my forehead felt sore/stingy, I noticed the spots on my left cheek and forehead had bled. The spot on my forehead bled more than the one on my left cheek.

Anyway, I took of the bits of skin with blood on them (gross I know) and put a plaster over each spot so I could go back to bed.

I got up around 11am and took the plasters off, the spots were okay then, no bleeding etc.

I have left them alone since and not touched them or put anything on them. they are quite sore though, especially the one near my hair line.

Could I put some of the Clinique anti-blemish gel on them now? I haven't even washed my face yet as I was afraid to let anything near the spots.

Normally I use these products on my face daily.

Bioré Pore Unclogging Scrub (morning and night).

http://www.biore.com.au/48.asp

http://www.clinique.co.uk/product/1571/15559/3--step/3--Step-Sets/3-Step-Introduction-Kit-Skin-Type-2/index.tmpl (I don't use the Clinique Liquid Facial Soap though).

I wash my face twice daily, morning and night, and make sure to use a generous amount of moisturizer. I don't wear make-up every day, only when I am going out somewhere, I don't wear much make-up either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd hold off on putting the anti blemish gel on them for the moment if they have been bleeding.

What about sudacreme at night?

Also, I was told before that you should only use a scrub on your face every 2 or 3 days as it can be harsh on your skin. Not sure how true this is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

My skin was never a problem until I was 25-26 too.... I found that I needed to change my cleanser and moisturiser to sort it out. I have used a water based Nivea gel cleanser ever since which is soap free. I also stopped using an oily tinted moisturiser and keep trying different moisturisers until I found one that worked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Maybe I'll clean my brushes again though. Is buying brush soap from Mac or somewhere actually worth the money? Sounds like a gimmick to me.

No need to! Baby shampoo works best ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Any type of stress, hormone unbalance, dehydration and bad diet all show through the skin at some stage. I'd say that's happening to your skin right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

tan11ie wrote: »
    No need to! Baby shampoo works best ;)

Olive oil mixed with anti-bacterial handwash works great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭daisy100

I have a similar problem, im 31 and was very luck as a teenager never to get spots, however this changed when i was 25 or 26, since then i have very bad skin, it is hardly ever clear. I have tried every skin care range out there, i did find La roche Posay good but it is a little expensive. I constantly feel self conscious about my face. I decided to try Proactiv and bought the starter pack last week, i have been using it for a week now and my skin is worse then before i started using it. My skin is ecessively dry in places and i have a breakout of spots too. I am now thinking should i stop using the Proactiv ? has anyone else experienced these side effects ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fridaybabe

i too suffered from constant spots. I am 30 and went through my teens and 20's never getting any spots. So it was a big shock. I made some changes to my skin care routine and also my diet. My skin hasnt full cleared up but every month I am noticing a difference. I now use dior skin foundation which I apply with a brush and clean the brush everyday. I only use dermologica cleanser and moisturiser twice a day and once a week I exfoliate. I drink at least 3 litres of water a day, eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit, have three meals a day and snack on dark choc only. I avoid dairy (except in tea) and anything that contains too much sugar such as biscuits. I have started getting intensive facials once a month. I hope I am winning the ongoing battle, i have a small few at the moment as it is near my time of the month, but nothing like what i had before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Hi, I'm mid-20s, getting mild acne at the moment, find vichy normaderm good, but tends to take a while for it to become noticeable.

• Advertisement

I'd hold off on putting the anti blemish gel on them for the moment if they have been bleeding.

What about sudacreme at night?

Also, I was told before that you should only use a scrub on your face every 2 or 3 days as it can be harsh on your skin. Not sure how true this is though.
    I'll try the sudocream on them tonight, will it wash off the pillow cases though?

I use this scrub and it say to use it daily.

Yesterday I used this and it worked well.

http://www.biore.com.au/49.asp

I washed my face today as normal and the spot on my forehead bled again.

I took a pic of the spots and thought maybe they might give a better idea of how the spots actually are.

The spot on my forehead and beside my hair line are very sore :(

I'll just post links to the pics are they aren't exactly nice:o

The spot beside my hairline

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/Spotbesidehairline.jpg

The spot on my forehead, I took this pic straight after washing and patting my face dry.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/SpotonForehead.jpg

Spots on my chin

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/Spotsonchin.jpg

The spot beside my nose

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/Spotbesidenose.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

I'll try the sudocream on them tonight, will it wash off the pillow cases though?

I use this scrub and it say to use it daily.

Yesterday I used this and it worked well.

http://www.biore.com.au/49.asp

I washed my face today as normal and the spot on my forehead bled again.

I took a pic of the spots and thought maybe they might give a better idea of how the spots actually are.

The spot on my forehead and beside my hair line are very sore :(

I'll just post links to the pics are they aren't exactly nice:o

The spot beside my hairline

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/Spotbesidehairline.jpg

The spot on my forehead, I took this pic straight after washing and patting my face dry.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/SpotonForehead.jpg

Spots on my chin

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/Spotsonchin.jpg

The spot beside my nose

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/Bottle_Of_Water/Random/Spotbesidenose.jpg

ow you poor thing :( i find sudocream really good,it is a bit messy and does get on the pillowcases but just put on an old one and it'll wash out....i've also used this witchazel stick http://www.superdrug.com/problem-skin/witch-hazel-stick-10g/invt/678631/ you can get it in tesco,dab it straight onto the spot and works well....

caroline72 wrote: »
    ow you poor thing :( i find sudocream really good,it is a bit messy and does get on the pillowcases but just put on an old one and it'll wash out....i've also used this witchazel stick http://www.superdrug.com/problem-skin/witch-hazel-stick-10g/invt/678631/ you can get it in tesco,dab it straight onto the spot and works well....
    Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

What does the sudocream do to the spots, does it dry them out or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭caroline72

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

What does the sudocream do to the spots, does it dry them out or something?

I actually dont find that it dries out like open, sore spots, but I got an awful rash of spots from waxing before,they were like whiteheads under the skin and it COMPLETELY got rid of the rash.I tried it recently on an open kind of spot and it didnt clear it but the witchazel did...not sure if im explaining the difference really but I don't find it has drying properties if you get me,more fixes under the skin ones :o

caroline72 wrote: »
    I actually dont find that it dries out like open, sore spots, but I got an awful rash of spots from waxing before,they were like whiteheads under the skin and it COMPLETELY got rid of the rash.I tried it recently on an open kind of spot and it didnt clear it but the witchazel did...not sure if im explaining the difference really but I don't find it has drying properties if you get me,more fixes under the skin ones :o

Thanks for your help, I understand what you are trying to say. :)

I have some Witch Hal blemish gel I think, shall have a look for it and try it. :)

Advertisement