Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Spain with a six month old Baba.

Options
  • 04-08-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Me and the Missus are hoping to get away to Spain in September with our six month old.

As he is still small we are hoping that we can do the site seeing (museums, churches etc)

We are also hoping for a bit of beach time as well.

This is our first Baba and our first time away with him, therefore I am looking for ANY / ALL advice regarding this, i.e.:

Suitable destination.
    Baby things to consider, clean water etc.
    Renting car, isofix ? etc
    Package or sort out ourselves.
    Accommodation....

...or anything at all I have left out.

Apologies for being so broad.

Hope you can help Folks.

Thanks in advcance

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

6 months should be grand, but we made the mistake when ours was a wee bit older and getting into a routine to take an evening flight

Our hope was that she would sleep, but instead she went abolutely balistic on the plane!

So lesson learnt, will only ever take morning/ afternoon flights with wee ones now!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

We have done this a few times. So ill just give a few things that come into my head.

1. South of Spain may still be too hot for a baby in Sept - it was 45C last time i was there in August :) North should be still nice - i like the area and people around San Sebastian....Ive never done a package holiday - like the freedom of fly/drive.

2. Bring you own car seat. Car hire ones can be suspect/not available. Its 20 euro each way and worth it for peace of mind. (You can also bring foldable buggy free)

3. Factor 50 sunscreen. Buy a pop up beach tent over there (20 quid) - great for keeping baby out of the sun.

4. Milton tablets - easy to sterilise things on the road - no need for boiling water etc.

5. Enjoy. 6 months is a great time to travel with baby - it gets harder once they are mobile !

have lots more tips but no time at the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Thanks Damo & Mucnhkin.

We're thinking of heading towards the south of France (Perpignan) spending a week there then travelling to the north of Spain towards Barcelona for another week.

The time of travel will be 15th of September - 30th of September.

We hope to rent a car when we arrive in France and travel over the Pyrenees to Spain.

Now all we have to do is throw caution to the wind and spend money we don't have :p

Thanks Folks,

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We went to Calan Forcat in Menorca twice - at ages 4 and 6. Fantastic family friendly resort. Calan Bosch on the same island is supposed to be just as good. The Roc Oasis in Calan Forcat is the hotel we stayed in both times - lovely, safe hotel.

Also Cala D'Or in Majorca is excellent for kids.

Because they're islands they don't get as hot as mainland Spain but still hot enough. Although we went each time in July and it was up to the high 30s at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

oldscoil wrote: »
    Thanks Damo & Mucnhkin.

We're thinking of heading towards the south of France (Perpignan) spending a week there then travelling to the north of Spain towards Barcelona for another week.
    look into tolouse then so maybe?

its a very well put together city with a brand new metro system to get you around.

Its 150km from Perpingnan but more inland and really no further from Spain, but nearer the Basque country which is an interesting part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I'd second Cala Dor, we were there with a 1 and 3 year old in June, perfect weather but not a lot to see if you like museums or churchs in that particular area. We didn't bother hiring a car as there was plenty to keep the two boys occupied.
    We've been to Barcelona and Valencia in September in years past and the weather was quite bearable, even the odd shower, plenty to see and if you stay on the outskirts an easy commute into the city.

P.S. a six month old is a pleasure to travel with, it's when the walking and running starts so do the difficulties.

Buen Viaje

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Just back from a week in France with my 6 month old. It was mid 30's during the day, high 20's at night but he was fine. I kept him in the shade, I got cans of misted water from the supermarket (cheap as chips) and kept spritzing him.

I bathed him in the evening before bed to cool him down.

At night he slept in a very light babygro to keep the mossies away from
    him.

I breastfeed so I just fed him as often as he wanted it and gave him water when he was eating
    food. He was fine for the whole week; he wasn't a bit put out by the heat and even slept well at night.

Advertisement