Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Google making their move?

• 04-08-2011 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭

A few days ago, Google mentioned that their "skype out"-like service from gmail was being opened up to 30 more languages..

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/calling-from-gmail-now-in-38-
    languages.html

Last night my gmail account got activated with the service. I can now make calls from the browser to loads of destinations for low rates.

The full set is here..
    https://www.google.com/voice/b/0/rates?hl=en_IE&currency=EUR
    ..landlines are cheap usually and mobile destinations are the more expensive which is fairly typical.

The settings screen is even being branded as Google Voice..
    https://plus.google.com/115725008817869373769/posts/HBBkuSARVN7

..all that is missing is a Phones tab to add/manage numbers for the service.

I'm wondering now if the big G will start issuing 076 or similar numbers here and start offering the same kind of experience as available in the US.

The most basic form of the service is that you get a number from them, and then from that get a visual voicemail service integrated with the gmail account. You also get the ability to forward calls to one or more devices (first to answer gets the call). The android app then allows you to make outgoing calls via your mobile operator or via Google. Nothing revolutionary here and some of the Irish VOIP providers do similar things to this.

The more deluxe version using a port is unlikely IMO. In that model, your mobile number gets ported to Google, your mobile operator gives you a new number and all incoming calls to your mobile now get diverted in parallel to one or more numbers of your choice.

Given the landline/mobile directory separation we use in this part of the World, I just can't see this happening. I'm not aware that its ever been done TBH so I could be way off here.

In the US, I do know that a land and mobile number are indistinguishable and the portability model has to manage this. A landline number can technically get ported to mobile and back again. In practice, they may prevent that from happening, but it is possible.

Any thoughts?.. do people think Google are going to move in this direction? Is it a threat to the other VOIP providers here in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Last night my gmail account got activated with the service. I can now make calls from the browser to loads of destinations for low rates.

Don't know if I am understanding correctly, but I have had the ability to make calls through my browser using Google, for some time. I do not use it.
    I have a preference to make calls using a phone, not some type of PC/'smart phone'.

If they have decided to integrate the Google service with SIP then I may have an interest ...... last time I looked I could not make a free call from my (IP) phone, using SIP, to a Google user.

... I guess I need to read up on this to see if it is now possible .....

Thanks for the links ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Don't know if I am understanding correctly, but I have had the ability to make calls through my browser using Google, for some time. I do not use it.

Well that call making option you may have had was only to US numbers (which is free through to the end of 2011). It seems that some gmail accounts not listed as non-US, got this. But you could never call foreign dests as you needed to add credit that option was just not available.

Now all accounts will see it and have the option to add credit using Google Checkout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Happy effing days !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Not available in Ireland yet according to my browser. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gaspode wrote: »
    Not available in Ireland yet according to my browser. :(

I used it to call my landline .... which did ring, although I didn't answer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Not letting me signup now, I'm sure google will bring out some publication, but number porting with eircom won't go down too easily..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Tim M-U wrote: »
    Not letting me signup now, I'm sure google will bring out some publication, but number porting with eircom won't go down too easily..

Yes, somehow I don't think its fully here yet... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Chimerical32

It seems very restricted at the moment. I haven't been able to set up a google number or tie the service in with my android phone yet. If anyone figures these things out let us know.
    I was able to top up with call credit of 10euro (They took 2.10euro tax) I made one call to a mobile number and it worked out at 13c/min. This seems expensive. I'm sure I could make the call cheaper from my actual mobile. When I made the call the caller id was "unknown".
    It seems like it has only been cobbled together with only half the service/settings being made available. It may improve soon. I hope it will otherwise I don't see myself using that 10euro credit.

• Advertisement

I don't know if they will get the agreement from Eircom, and permission from Comreg to serve services in ireland. I guess you will be paying sales tax on top of the 10€ credit.

Blueface are €.02 minimum charge, but I prefer to support irish..

Doesn't let me through to the service..

Thanks for that. Yes, blueface however charge the credit incuding VAT so its cheaper.

Won't work for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Yes.. same button on mine.. definitely wasn't there a week ago.

Saw this last week..
    http://thenextweb.com/google/2011/09/20/google-voice-currently-being-tested-in-europe-ahead-of-international-launch/

..so its definitely being tested in some form in Europe.

Advertisement