Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requirements for setting up a Cake business? Please help!

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey, I want to set up a cake business (from home) and want everything to be legit. I currently make novelty cakes for family and friends and have started to get a lot of enquiries for sales but I know I need to set up as a business first before I can sell

What I need to know is, as I work full time, if I set up a business will I have to register as self employed?

Also about health/hygiene standards, what certificates do I need?

Any advice would really be appreciated!

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi Dmg
    Congratulations on making the first step as an entrepreneur. If I were you I would firstly test the water with a couple of orders. Before you even thinking of going "ligit", I would first see if this business is viable and can it replace your full time job.
    Firstly you need to figure out how much does it cost you to make the cake (And don't worry to much about Hygiene Cert, as cakes are low risk (no protein)) and for how much you can sell it for. Please use the more expensive supermarket prices for this exercise. When you get busier you can avail wholesale prices, which than can add to your profit or reduce your sales price
    Please include your time in this costing. Minimum wage is €8.65, but you need to think about renting a premises etc. So what I usually suggest is to calculate €30 an hour.
    Once you know your range and profitability, give me a PM and we will discuss the rest. Good luck. Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Hi Dmg
    Congratulations on making the first step as an entrepreneur. If I were you I would firstly test the water with a couple of orders. Before you even thinking of going "ligit", I would first see if this business is viable and can it replace your full time job.
    Firstly you need to figure out how much does it cost you to make the cake (And don't worry to much about Hygiene Cert, as cakes are low risk (no protein)) and for how much you can sell it for. Please use the more expensive supermarket prices for this exercise. When you get busier you can avail wholesale prices, which than can add to your profit or reduce your sales price
    Please include your time in this costing. Minimum wage is €8.65, but you need to think about renting a premises etc. So what I usually suggest is to calculate €30 an hour.
    Once you know your range and profitability, give me a PM and we will discuss the rest. Good luck. Oliver

No protein in cake? Eggs are used in sponge cake, some chocolate cake etc. My advise is to try and keep your cost down as much as possible while maintaining quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Search this topic and you'll find loads of threads about it with lots of good info in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 holyfield10

which thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

There's lots of threads on it not just one, use the Search This Forum function at the top right, there's definitely at least 5 threads on this with lots of good info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement