Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

z68 yes or no

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Well i finally have the cash for the build i have spent months waiting for and salivating over but i wonder now if its worth stumping up the xtra premium for a z68 board to usethe lucid graphics switching and intel srt. Or would it be better just stayingvp67 and spending a hit on a 64gig ssd as boot drive
    pc mainly used for casual gaming...photoshop work and music production...ableton live. Will have 800 or there abouts

damn this changing tech and the desire to have the latest n greatest.

Has anyone gone z68 route and used both technologies. How is it in practice. Worth it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

I have the z68, onboard graphics card came in very handy when my 6950 wasnt picked up after building.

Didnt think it was much more expensive then p67 board?, but you need an SSD, they are awesome!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

jack888 wrote: »
    I have the z68, onboard graphics card came in very handy when my 6950 wasnt picked up after building.

Didnt think it was much more expensive then p67 board?, but you need an SSD, they are awesome!!!

Thanks jack... Out of intetest. What board u using???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

TBH if you have a 64GB SSD or larger then you are better off keeping it as a separate drive. The smart caching was designed with smaller SSDs in mind, around 20-40GB. After that you are just losing performance as a 64GB drive has enough space for your OS and most common programs anyway.

i was reading a bit about lucid virtu and it seems like u need to constantly change your video out to make use of either onboard graphics or discreet GC, am i reading that correctly. i thought there might be a way they could route the benefits all through one output. If thats the case i may stay the p67 route

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tbh i think it is silly technology, this cache feature, how many people would actually want to use it? especially with the fact that ssds will be dropping in price etc some are already 30 euro cheaper than when i looked at them a month ago. Plus you would save what 20 or 30e on a p67 and get an ssd as a boot drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think it could be useful if you had an oldish 30 or 40GB drive that you wanted to reuse. It would be waste of a new M4. If the price was close or a Z68 board was on offer, then it's worth it for the couple of extra features. Or a high end non-gaming system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Just on the point of SRT:

The limit for a cachable SSD is something like 60GB, but there's nothing stopping you creating two 60GB partitions on a 120GB drive, and having one as a pure OS drive, and using the other as a cache for a 1/2TB drive. For this to be at its best though, you'd need a drive with decent IOPS.

think i will stick to the original plan and stick with p67 and us the m4 as windows boot drive, thanks guys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Good call I think neither tehnology seems really worth it really (unless you already have a small SSD hanging around as pointed out above)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

jack888 wrote: »

What onboard graphics card would that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

On chip graphics. The 1155 CPUs have a GPU. You can only use it with H61/H67/Z68 boards, not P67 boards.

thanks monotype, realise that. unlikely to use that optionif i got z68 board anyway...from what i have been reading, utilising the onboard graphics and also the descreet board is a cumbersome process.

just noticed u may have been answering another post... sorry :)

Advertisement