Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis Time, Is five weeks enough??

Options
  • 04-08-2011 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all,
    I posted on boards once before for help with my thesis and got really great help. Unfortunatley since then I have been sick (as I was throughout my masters) and back in hospital. I have figured out that between sitting an exam I missed while in hospital in May and being back in hospital for another operation I will have just about five full weeks to finish my thesis. ( I can spend every single day of the five available weeks)

I am only at data collection stage now, the literature review is the only fully completed part.

Though I am sure the college would provide an extension it is not a great option because of work commitments.

So has anyone done a thesis in this amount of time? Is five weeks enough time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Yes I definitely think it is possible. 5 weeks full on sounds doable. The literature review was always the longest part for me. Analyzing the data and making inferences is easy enough once you get stuck in. Leave the conclusion and intro. until the end.

Good luck - you can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Yes it is. Also don't be afraid to ask for an extension if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

I think it is if you get really dug into it as you say. Getting an extension would, I think, be a better option than not finishing it at all. Best of luck with it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'd be a little more cautious than the other posters and advise you to sound out the possibility of an extension. Five weeks sounds tight if you've nothing done yet, but it depends on various different factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thesis.direct

If you have a plan and strategy 5 weeks to run data and write is plenty of time 20 days x 1,000 words = your thesis.

1 day to run data + plan outline, then each day:

Morning = write 1,000 words
    Afternoon = edit morning work
    Evening = Plan writing for next morning.

Day 21-25 = edit like crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Ms.Bond

Thanks so much everyone, looks like it will be a crazy five weeks!! It will be worth it right???:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

it'll be totally worth it, you're lucky that (it seems) you have no fieldwork to do cos it would be impossible to get it done in 5 weeks. i got a two week extension for mine and I wasn't even sick, just had so much to do. try to hand up some stuff to be correct by supervisor though so you wont have loads of editing to do at the end. i handed up my first draft, super corrected and commented and it took me a full two weeks just to get it to a standard to hand up as a final draft so...

Advertisement