Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM UL 2011

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cailleachdubh

Do you need to make an appointement with the elusive Jenny, or can you just walk in? I'd imagine she'll be pretty busy for the next few weeks with queues of manic GEMs following her around?!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

Do you need to make an appointement with the elusive Jenny, or can you just walk in? I'd imagine she'll be pretty busy for the next few weeks with queues of manic GEMs following her around?!

I called a couple of days ago and they said that Jenny had moved on to another branch however they were very clued in to the fact that the loan existed (unlike your local branch).

Just give them a call and arrange to meet with them about it. My meeting is on Tuesday so I'll report back on how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ULbound

hiya
    just back from my w/e in limerick-well impressed with the city! ;) went to see cappavilla and they allowed me in to see a flat there-was very impressed with the accomadation there so reckon ill defo stick with there for first year gettin really excited now about goin ;) just the minor detail of sortin out the loan tmr! sure itll be no problem to get 100K!

I'm just back from Limerick now too and I must say the campus is very impressive, although the new med building is nowhere near finished yet and I have my doubts whether it'll be done by next year even...

Accommodation - Tick! Done! Delighted!

Loan - rang AIB Castletroy first thing in the morning and was told Marie was the woman to speak to, but we kept missing each other's calls all day. They were flat out. They eventually managed to squeeze me in at 3.30 (with Joanne). Don't know how my odds are on getting the loan cause I have a mortgage... If I don't get it I have no idea what I'll do.

Advice to anyone applying: book an appointment in advance and bring ID/driver's licence, copy of Gamsat results and CAO letter regarding the offer.

Good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hattie

Hi did not think that having a mortgage would affect your ability to get a loan for GEM? Has anyone else had this problem?

• Advertisement

hattie wrote: »
    Hi did not think that having a mortgage would affect your ability to get a loan for GEM? Has anyone else had this problem?

I was told my chances of getting it with a mortgage were slim to none..

Scary.

But then when I told her the property was being let for the past 5 years, she said I may have a chance.

I don't know what I'll do if I don't get approved. I can't even think about that possibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

UL have a scholarship. They were adamant you had to apply for one at time of application and not on acceptance of offer. But I would investigate.

Also, the typical GEM loans are unsecured and without guarantor. You might be able to get a similar but different loan if you could put something against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

hi sid i got a phone call from ul today offering me a place, i had only a 53 in my gamsat and had given up on the chance of getting in.however im wary enough of starting the course, ive been in rehab twice in the past for alcohol and drug related issues, ive them pretty much under control tbh though.i also had some issues with depression in the past and was on medication but ive also got that under control now. nonetheless i still just finished my degree in ul and got a 2 1 so know the run of the place and in spite of all my issues still came out ok. i feel like this is my chance now to put all my problems behind me and get on with living life, i never thought i ever had a hope of passing gamsat but low and behold ive got in.however i do have a mild case of tourettes syndrome, would this impact heavily on me in the course? i mean how disruptive would i be in pbls tutorials or clinic tutorials ? my tourettes isnt too bad, it gets worse when nervous and. i didnt really attend a lot of my lectures and tutorials in my old degree because i was in fear i would be disruptive or interruptive, nonetheless the lecturers would give me the lectures and notes as i had a medical condition they were very helpful? do you think i could arrange a similar arrangement with the medical school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

You're in luck, any lectures we do have are always updated online so non-attendance will not penalise you too much. I think someone with a mild case of Tourette's would be a very welcome distraction in the usually dull and uneventful PBL and Clinical tutorials. Alcoholics aren't particularly a rarity in the medical profession so I don't see why you can't give it a go. I wouldn't go on too many benders though, even the odd weekend slacking will put you behind in your work. The course is very very tough, most people say it's the hardest thing they've done, but sure give it a lash it's only 15 grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

but sure give it a lash it's only 15 grand.
    hahahahaha loving the positivity on boards today :D, and they wonder why banks fail :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 cece

Hi

Did anyone else out there get an offer on 53 - I am sitting on 53 and wondering if there is any hope of being offered a spot in UL in the coming weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

cece wrote: »
    Hi

Did anyone else out there get an offer on 53 - I am sitting on 53 and wondering if there is any hope of being offered a spot in UL in the coming weeks!!

Hi Cece,

The points that came out today didn't show a drop for UL just yet. However, with many people with gamsat scores of 53-55 being surprised at getting an offer, I suspect that there will be a higher refusal rate this year. When the big loan and four years is taken in many candidates may decide against it (you'll see some other posters on here doing just that).

I would be extremely surprised if UL did not drop another few points before the end. My fingers are crossed for you!

Advertisement