Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coaching - Cycling in Ireland

• 04-08-2011 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I'm fairly new to this cycling game. I am based in Dublin, would prefer to approach this the best way possible and with some caution as well as I dont want to get stung financially.

What are your thoughts on getting a good cycling coach if one wants to race well and compete in Ireland? How often should you communicate with a coach and what are the prices they charge in general? Don't they have to be qualified to some degree? Do they have a preference to train with power and/or heart rate? Finally, would any of you racing cyclists have any recommendations?

Many thanks

SD
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I am sure there is a list of accredited coaches on the CI website so that would be a good starting point.

From my experience the cost varies quite a lot. I have seen a good few guys outline you can have 1 phone call and 5 emails but thats up to you nad them to agree. As a rider I would prefer to have as much access as I need esp at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Friday already? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

I'm fairly new to this cycling game.

If I were you I'd skip on a coach for your first season. Just study something like Joe Friel, follow some basic training plan for the winter. Join a club and get out on the winter spins. Go on regular spins all winter.

Next year, race the club leagues and the A4 races. Then get a coach.

In your first year there's a lot to learn, that you only get by doing it: handling yourself in a bunch, reading a race, getting an idea of your strengths and weakness etc.... If you ride regularly and with some intensity and keep you weight down, you'll have enough fitness to get around the A4 races

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Get on yer bike, push the left pedal down, then the right side and repeat...keep doing this until you are breathing like you just ran up 10 flights of stairs... :D

Advertisement