Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap prepay android phone(samsung europa) 39€

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 psyke83

BostonB wrote: »
    Does the CyanogenMod debrand the phone?

Completely (unless you consider the CM wallpapers as branding, but you can change them :P). It replaces the entire ROM with code built by the community, so you won't see junk apps from companies or your network provider included.

You can see it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzh02EJkhzw&feature=related

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

paddyp wrote: »
    Found a version of flash that works!
    http://www.filestube.com/9Ldh5O85pRgtm2EDTvRs78/flash-player-v10-1-armv6-android-apk.html

Works great with cyanogen mod from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1149110

This phone flies now and has flash can't believe it for €39 shame about the battery life but I suppose what can you expect when you've overclocked it and made it 2-3 times as fast. The duracell emergency charger from tsco is getting plenty of use :-p

so you overclocked the phone then added flash?

Have to say I haven't had that experience. I thougth the screen sensitivity on mine wasn't consistent, but I've got used to it now. I think its just has micro pauses every now and then, as the OS catches up with what you are doing. I'm just using it as a second phone though, as I just prefer buttons.

Despite its limitations, its hard to beat this as a cheap 2nd phone.

I had the same attitude until I tried swype. It's hard to go back to buttons now...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

thecelt wrote: »

Don't waste your money. See my reply a few posts back for a free unlock method. All that it requires is for you to follow the instructions carefully.

• Advertisement

just got the phone today,
    havent any credit on there at the mo,
    as am just going to use it on vodafone so didnt see the point,
    was trying to access the app market place,
    when i tried to add the gmail account to do so,
    i got the following,
    cant establish a reliable data connection to the server,
    am on wifi and have been able to use youtube etc on there,
    so i need to be using mobile web / have credit on there to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Tried to buy this on the Three site today. I placed the order, the money was taken from my account but then got an email to say my order was cancelled but didn't say why. And the money has not (yet) been refunded. Any ideas why they could have cancelled it? I know all my details were correct.

I'm guessing the phone is €49 in the Three shops too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Dman001 wrote: »
    Tried to buy this on the Three site today. I placed the order, the money was taken from my account but then got an email to say my order was cancelled but didn't say why. And the money has not (yet) been refunded. Any ideas why they could have cancelled it? I know all my details were correct.

in my case i put in a random date of birth over 18 and shortened address as I always do and was declined had to redo it with correct details.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭coolerhash

Dman001 wrote: »

Same happened to me on the 25th of august and im still waiting for a refund and getting nowhere with 3 customer care team, best of luck getting your money back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

coolerhash wrote: »
    Same happened to me on the 25th of august and im still waiting for a refund and getting nowhere with 3 customer care team, best of luck getting your money back
    Don't tell me that! Have to laugh, they were quick to take the money!

• Advertisement

has anyone recently used the fastgsm site,
    it seems to be 19.99 now ?

Are you even reading people's replies to your previous posts? ;)

I unlocked mine with the fastgsm site for 9.99. Worked like a dream. Wouldn't pay 19.99 though. B*stards increased the price eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bondja80

psyke83 wrote: »

And can we unlock free vodafone smart 858 and how?

bondja80 wrote: »
    And can we unlock free vodafone smart 858 and how?

I'm not aware of a free method for that phone, no.

psyke83 wrote: »

am not wanting to risk bricking the phone as not entirely sure about your method,

Yeah looks like fastgsm hiked the price,
    does anyone know anywhere else to unlock,
    found one or 2 that look dodgy ,
    one for E3 but no contact info or anything on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

In the same boat - in the end I shelled out the $19.99 (€14.63) for the www.fastgsm.com service, as I have used them before for this phone model. Happy enough - all done now!

Tried going through Psyche83's excellent link, but lost my nerve! :eek:

I'd normally happily spend all day trying a free method when it is available, but couldn't risk bricking the new phone when not 100% sure of what I was doing.

The guide in the link is good, but, not having ever rooted / flashed a phone before, couldn't chance it, especially as the phone was not for me. (I wonder if there is an even easier guide available for n00bz at this? :o)

But at this price, I might just order one for hacking, as someone else has mentioned! Would like to try flashing one, as the install looks good on the youtube link.

BTW: The price for unlocking has indeed increased (was $9.99) even when you pick the "USB" option instead of IMEI on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Doodlebug wrote: »

The guide in the link is good, but, not having ever rooted / flashed a phone before, couldn't chance it, especially as the phone was not for me. (I wonder if there is an even easier guide available for n00bz at this? :o)

For rooting, I used the Universal Androot app. (The file is found directly under the images). The Samsung Europa is a supported device. It's down as the Samsung galaxy 5 (gt-i5500).

Simply open the application.
    Choose Superuser 2.0 - 2.2 (Assuming the phone is running Android 2.1 or 2.2)
    Then click Root.

It'll come up with something like "Woot! Phone has been rooted!"

Simply turn off and on your phone, and it's done. :D Tethering is then unlocked. You'll find an app on the phone called Superuser something, I forget, but it has an image of a grey Android man. It means the phone is rooted.

As for flashing, there is a good guide on the xda forum.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Keep the screen protector or remove it?

Keep the screen protector or remove it?

I removed it straight away. The screen will be more responsive to your fingers. The screen will feel sticky, like there's friction, but that'll soon wear off. :)

Has anybody tried changing the baseband on the phone using Odin? I'm trying to install CyanogenMod 7.1. I have Clockworkmod Recovery on the phone.

Now when I'm trying to install a new Baseband, there seems to be no progress. It's been 12 minutes, and the green bar on Odin hasn't changed. I'm afraid to stop anything.

The phone is rooted.

• Advertisement

I removed it straight away. The screen will be more responsive to your fingers. The screen will feel sticky, like there's friction, but that'll soon wear off. :)

Has anybody tried changing the baseband on the phone using Odin? I'm trying to install CyanogenMod 7.1. I have Clockworkmod Recovery on the phone.

Now when I'm trying to install a new Baseband, there seems to be no progress. It's been 12 minutes, and the green bar on Odin hasn't changed. I'm afraid to stop anything.

The phone is rooted.

Mine works fine with the stock baseband was having problems but it was due to setting the min cpu freq. to 122MHz battery drain and sleep of death issues ensued.

you did backup before changing the baseband didn't you

The phone is rooted.

Mine works fine with the stock baseband was having problems but it was due to setting the min cpu freq. to 122MHz battery drain and sleep of death issues ensued.

you did backup before changing the baseband didn't you

Yeah I backed up. Can never be too careful.

Thought I'd also mention that there is a flash player available now. Sorry if it's been posted already, I'm just happy.

galaxy-5.blogspot.com/2011/07/adobe-flash-player-for-our-g5s.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Im trying to unlock using http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17148825&postcount=334

but im getting -

/dev/bml5: No such file or directory

Any fix for this?

Tomtata wrote: »
    Im trying to unlock using http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17148825&postcount=334

but im getting -

Any fix for this?

is it properly rooted paste all the text from the terminal

It's definitely rooted - I have Clockwork recovery and the Cyanogenmod rom installed and working perfect.

This is the output,

C:\android-sdk_r12-windo-tools>adb shell
    # su
    su
    # cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img
    cat /dev/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img
    #

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

It's definitely rooted - I have Clockwork recovery and the Cyanogenmod rom installed and working perfect.

This is the output,

# su
    su
    #

do u notice it being faster after you have rooted it?

i get the little vibration and the force close of an application the odd time

i have an app killer app that keeps programs closed from using memory just wondering if its faster for u when rooted using cyanogenmod?

This is the output,

# su
    su
    #

try listing the files in /dev

ls /dev/b*

[edit] nevermined i just opened up the terminal emulator and got a similar result.

you can cat the block device /dev/block/bml5 but not sure if that renders a useful file as I'm not at my desktop now

its extremely odd if you ls /dev/b* then it list all the bml files fine and dandy but if you do try to access tem in any other way even ls /dev/bm* is says file or directory not found

I have this phone but I'm a little bemused by some of the previous posts. Can someone please bring me up to speed on things?

What is rooting and why would I want to do it? What is this "CyanogenMod"? Again what are the advantages of putting it on my Europa?

I'm basically new to all this and if someone could make a quick post explaining things I'd be most grateful! :)

Decided to unlock using fastgsm - had to load the latest 2.2 rom from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781149

Think I'll stay on this rom - Cyanogen looks very blurry

• Advertisement

I have this phone but I'm a little bemused by some of the previous posts. Can someone please bring me up to speed on things?

What is rooting and why would I want to do it? What is this "CyanogenMod"? Again what are the advantages of putting it on my Europa?

I'm basically new to all this and if someone could make a quick post explaining things I'd be most grateful! :)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reasons+to+root+your+phone&l=1

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=10+reasons+to+install+cyanogenmod&l=1

Yes yes I wasn't been lazy but was hoping for one or two simple short answers to get me started. Never mind.

Yes yes I wasn't been lazy but was hoping for one or two simple short answers to get me started. Never mind.

those are short answers since I have no idea what your level of knowledge is theres no point in me saying lock screen gestures - my favourite feature - or app2sd or wifi tethering without explaining what those mean

Decided to unlock using fastgsm - had to load the latest 2.2 rom from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=781149

Think I'll stay on this rom - Cyanogen looks very blurry

Which Babeband did you download? I downloaded the one on the very top and turned out to be Slovakian by default. The language was easy to change through memory thankfully. :D

As for Cyanogen, I just can't get it to work. I've installed the three zip files in the right order, but when I reboot, I get the Cyanogen bootloop, and it never progresses from there. I also give the phone a factory reset through Clockworkmod Recovery. Could it be the baseband that's causing it?

Which Babeband did you download? I downloaded the one on the very top and turned out to be Slovakian by default. The language was easy to change through memory thankfully. :D

As for Cyanogen, I just can't get it to work. I've installed the three zip files in the right order, but when I reboot, I get the Cyanogen bootloop, and it never progresses from there. I also give the phone a factory reset through Clockworkmod Recovery. Could it be the baseband that's causing it?

To remove the bootloop wipe the 'data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' in clockwork recovery

Then install Cyanogen+ Fix + Gapps.

I'm using Cyanogen now and find it excellent.

I also got the Slovakian by default but when you load Cyanogen it defaults to English

To remove the bootloop wipe the 'data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition' in clockwork recovery

Then install Cyanogen+ Fix + Gapps.

I'm using Cyanogen now and find it excellent.

I also got the Slovakian by default but when you load Cyanogen it defaults to English

Ah, never wiped the Cache partition. I'm installing the zips now. . .

EDIT: No, it's still looping on me. :(

Also, I've read the Cyanogen thread closely. It says "Reboot into ClockworkMod. You can do this via adb reboot recovery. . ."

Must I strictly reboot through adb? Because I've been using Clockworkmod to reboot.

• Advertisement

I had this issue today - to fix

1. Download Odin + ops file
    2. Download 2.2 Rom
    3. Install this Rom using Odin
    4. Boot into this rom
    5. Boot into Download mode
    6. Download Clockworkmod & install using Odin
    8. Boot into Clockworkmod & run 'data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition'
    9. Now install the Cyanogen + Fix + Gapps.

It should work fine after that.

I've made some progress! :) I rooted it using the Universal Androot app which was easy of course. I've read the guide on putting CyanogenMod 7 on the phone. Seems straightforward. I have one question though...the guide says
    Reboot into ClockworkMod. You can do this via adb reboot recovery

What is this "adb reboot recovery"? Is it on the phone or do I download adb and run it from the command prompt? Just lost on this....any help much appreciated!

I've made some progress! :) I rooted it using the Universal Androot app which was easy of course. I've read the guide on putting CyanogenMod 7 on the phone. Seems straightforward. I have one question though...the guide says

What is this "adb reboot recovery"? Is it on the phone or do I download adb and run it from the command prompt? Just lost on this....any help much appreciated!

Yes Adb is a simple program that allows you to issue commands to Android. You can download here

Run from the command prompt

Removed the screen protector, sensitivity is much improved. A long way from an iPhone, but usable now at least. I think my hands are too dry for most of these phones. The Apple screens I have no problem with.

Were is the message center config on this phone?

The battery life is pretty poor, even for a smart phone. That said I had a X10mini Pro for a while and that brutal aswell. I wanted it as a 2nd phone rather than a cheap smart phone. I've installed juice defender and its making a big difference. Be interesting to see how long it lasts in standby. Assuming I can resist savaging the battery playing Robo Defence.

I note that whatever I did at some point the phone has tried to sync with my Picassa Photos online. Which is a bit irritating, that it was so easily done without me noticing, or specificly requesting to do it.

• Advertisement

I note that whatever I did at some point the phone has tried to sync with my Picassa Photos online. Which is a bit irritating, that it was so easily done without me noticing, or specificly requesting to do it.

Yes once you setup a gmail account it sucks in all the services

Yes once you setup a gmail account it sucks in all the services

Where can you config what it sucks in.

I had this issue today - to fix

1. Download Odin + ops file
    2. Download 2.2 Rom
    3. Install this Rom using Odin
    4. Boot into this rom
    5. Boot into Download mode
    6. Download Clockworkmod & install using Odin
    8. Boot into Clockworkmod & run 'data/factory reset' and 'wipe cache partition'
    9. Now install the Cyanogen + Fix + Gapps.

It should work fine after that.

Thank you! I got it working now. :D

I was using a different version of Clockworkmod Recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bondja80

I have installed cynaogen mod 7.1 and Flash doesn't work on my phone, what about you?

bondja80 wrote: »
    I have installed cynaogen mod 7.1 and Flash doesn't work on my phone, what about you?
    I don't think the Europa is powerful enough to display Flash with or without CyanogenMod. Thought I saw a post earlier back saying the processor was too weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You are right, Van Zan. I downloaded the Flash from the market but, while it installs, it will not work on any flash site that I visit.

I don't think the Europa is powerful enough to display Flash with or without CyanogenMod. Thought I saw a post earlier back saying the processor was too weak.

Flash runs on it the 10.1 version I linked to earlier in this thread, don't know if theres a working 10.3 version yet. Regarding functionality I've played a few of the flash games on kongregate.com fine, even the rte player loads and works a little bit which is incredible but its not really usable, might work in opera but I've borked opera with tinkering so can't check now.

Oficially adobe decided that they would only support armv7 devices this is an armv6 phone but people managed to hack the flash binaries to work.

Will this only work on a Europa with CyanogenMod?

Will this only work on a Europa with CyanogenMod?

I suspect so - didn't try it on the stock rom

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement