Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap prepay android phone(samsung europa) 39€

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I've reverted back to a stock rom, and haven't found any better keyboard than Swype. It's just perfect for me. :)

Also if anyone's interested, there is now a Three baseband available to flash onto your phone, in case you've changed it to something else.

http://www.madteam.co/forum/development/basebands/

I had the NEJP1 originally, but the NEJP2 works very well. My reception was never as good with the other European ones or the LUYJPE American one.

Using the Three baseband also will allow Kies to work with your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Can you explain what basebands are. please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

In telecommunications and signal processing, baseband is an adjective that describes signals and systems whose range of frequencies is measured from close to 0 hertz to a cut-off frequency, a maximum bandwidth or highest signal frequency; it is sometimes used as a noun for a band of frequencies starting close to zero. Baseband can often be considered as a synonym to lowpass or non-modulated, and antonym to passband, bandpass, carrier-modulated or radio frequency (RF) signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

I've reverted back to a stock rom, and haven't found any better keyboard than Swype. It's just perfect for me. :)

Also if anyone's interested, there is now a Three baseband available to flash onto your phone, in case you've changed it to something else.

http://www.madteam.co/forum/development/basebands/

I had the NEJP1 originally, but the NEJP2 works very well. My reception was never as good with the other European ones or the LUYJPE American one.

Using the Three baseband also will allow Kies to work with your phone.

You can have swype on cyanogenmod too

What Danjo said. Basically it gives you a signal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I just use the normal 'Samsung keyboard', and turn the phone on it's side so it flips from 9-button to qwerty. It's a bit small at first, but you get used to it.

I've tried Swype, and it's great when it works, but it can be so frustrating at times when you accidentally write a completely nonsensical word, have to rub it out, and 'swype' it again only for it to come out wrong. But it is speedy.

What Danjo said. Basically it gives you a signal.

Thanks. Should be of assistance to the complainers on the Three forum, who are unhappy at their signal dropping and also 3g problems.

paddyp wrote: »
    You can have swype on cyanogenmod too

Nice, just looked it up on the xda forums and seems there is a way. :)

I tried installing the .apk from my brother's stock ROM but it wouldn't work. Just gave up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭McSim

Samsung recently released official KIES update for 3 Ireland Galaxy 5 Europa.

Android 2.2
    Kernel 2.6.32.9-perf
    Baseband I5500NEJP2
    Build number FROYO.XWJQ3

*#*#1234#*#* after flashing:
    PDA: I5500XWJQ3
    PHONE: I5500NEJP2
    CSC: I55003IEJP5

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

does any one know where to get a cheap backup battery for this phone. thought i saw somewhere on this forum that someone recommended a battery on ebay but cant seem to find post. i was on ebay and there is loads of battery types for the phone but wandering has any one bought a backup battery from ebay and would they recommend it,cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

does any one know where to get a cheap backup battery for this phone. thought i saw somewhere on this forum that someone recommended a battery on ebay but cant seem to find post. i was on ebay and there is loads of battery types for the phone but wandering has any one bought a backup battery from ebay and would they recommend it,cheers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73905219&postcount=355

I have ordered a replacement from Dealextreme. Cannot post a short link. Am expecting it in the next week.Cost €5.34 delivered.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-replacement-h5-3-7v-1200mah-battery-for-samsung-s7230e-s5750e-s7330c-80862

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 opendoor2

I have ordered a replacement from Dealextreme. Cannot post a short link. Am expecting it in the next week.Cost €5.34 delivered.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s-replacement-h5-3-7v-1200mah-battery-for-samsung-s7230e-s5750e-s7330c-80862

This one costs more compared to the one from focalprice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

There's a lad on Adverts.ie trying to sell a couple of these for €60 each. . . and he seems to be getting a few responses too.

He hasn't even unlocked them. I would have thought anyone who browses adverts.ie would have also browse here.

I bought this a couple of months back and recently it started switching itself off at random times... Anyone having this problem? or even a solution? Checked online and it seems to be common with not much info on fixing the problem.

looder wrote: »
    There's a lad on Adverts.ie trying to sell a couple of these for €60 each. . . and he seems to be getting a few responses too.

He hasn't even unlocked them. I would have thought anyone who browses adverts.ie would have also browse here.

I bought this a couple of months back and recently it started switching itself off at random times... Anyone having this problem? or even a solution? Checked online and it seems to be common with not much info on fixing the problem.

I only had that problem with underclocking to 122mhz.

I don't have mine rooted (yet - just didn't get around to it yet) so hopefully when I root I won't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Is there a guide how to unlock this phone and root it?
    There was a very good one for the ZTE blade something like that would be great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yes there is, it's posted all over this thread

• Advertisement

But from what i have been reading is that you have to pay to unlock it. Is that correct.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    But from what i have been reading is that you have to pay to unlock it. Is that correct.

You can pay to unlock with FastGSM and it'll cost around €15. There's a free method where you root the phone and then follow a simple guide.

Thanks Maia Lively Rodeo couldnt find the free guide. Would you be able point be right direction be very grateful thanks.

Thanks Maia Lively Rodeo couldnt find the free guide. Would you be able point be right direction be very grateful thanks.

Here

Thanks mate, dont really understand that but il get the hang of it.

Thanks mate, dont really understand that but il get the hang of it.

The posts on this page by magicspatula might help as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

thats the one i was looking for,ordered a battery and car charger,thanks

thats the one i was looking for,ordered a battery and car charger,thanks

I also found this on eBay last night. Ordered! :)

I'm hoping for an extended battery and cover like you can get for the galaxy s

Wow! You can get a 3500mAh battery for the Samsung Galaxy S!!! Never knew that. I think I know what I want for Christmas :D

Hi,

I tried rooting + putting CyanogenMod 7.1 on it from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1149110

All I'm getting now is a blank screen that says ANDROID in small writing on the top right hand side.

Any ideas how I go about fixing this?

• Advertisement

Have you Clockworkmod on your phone after visiting xda developers? If so run it and it may recover the correct set-up for you.

Hi,

I tried rooting + putting CyanogenMod 7.1 on it from here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1149110

All I'm getting now is a blank screen that says ANDROID in small writing on the top right hand side.

Any ideas how I go about fixing this?

take out your sd card see if it will boot, if not start clockwork and erase cache try again if not, clockwork mode again, wipe data

paddyp do those extended batteries actually work though? Or is it a gimmick that bricks your phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Is it possible to do this process with a Mac?

take out your sd card see if it will boot, if not start clockwork and erase cache try again if not, clockwork mode again, wipe data
    It says E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log when I try clear cache or a factory reset.. It said the same when I had the memory card in while I was trying to do it before I tried to flash the new rom onto it.

Still giving me the ANDROID black screen unfortunately even when I don't use memory card. Any other ideas?

paddyp do those extended batteries actually work though? Or is it a gimmick that bricks your phone?

I thought you had thrown yours out:D

I thought you had thrown yours out:D
    Nope. I was thinking of it when I got the ZTE Blade but since wouldn't work properly I'm back on the Europa.

Nope. I was thinking of it when I got the ZTE Blade but since wouldn't work properly I'm back on the Europa.

I have both of them as well. The f**king Blade is now breaking my heart. The earpiece has minimal sound coming out of it. Anyway, I found the Europa easy peasy to mod after working on the Blade. A grand phone and great value for the price.

I have both of them as well. The f**king Blade is now breaking my heart. The earpiece has minimal sound coming out of it. Anyway, I found the Europa easy peasy to mod after working on the Blade. A grand phone and great value for the price.
    I'm the opposite, the blade went smoothly when I was modding it. . . I can't get this one sorted at all here.

I'm the opposite, the blade went smoothly when I was modding it. . . I can't get this one sorted at all here.

What I did was put the sd card from the Blade into the Europa. Unrooted and then unlocked it. It was a little stubborn at booting up so I ran Clockworkmod. By the way I took the easy out at unlocking and did it via fastgsm.

• Advertisement

What I did was put the sd card from the Blade into the Europa. Unrooted and then unlocked it. It was a little stubborn at booting up so I ran Clockworkmod. By the way I took the easy out at unlocking and did it via fastgsm.

I unlocked it first as I hadn't time to root it when I got it a couple of months back.

I lost my Blade so haven't any SD Card from it unfortunately.

I'l play around with it a bit more. . . I might try put on another rom first to see will that make a difference.

It says E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log when I try clear cache or a factory reset.. It said the same when I had the memory card in while I was trying to do it before I tried to flash the new rom onto it.

Still giving me the ANDROID black screen unfortunately even when I don't use memory card. Any other ideas?

What version of Clockworkmod did you flash?

You have to flash the EXT4 version. That will allow you to clear the cache. Then reinstall Cyanogenmod + the hotfix + the Google apps in that order.

What version of Clockworkmod did you flash?

You have to flash the EXT4 version. That will allow you to clear the cache. Then reinstall Cyanogenmod + the hotfix + the Google apps in that order.
    Using v 4 alright.... I'm getting as far as the Cyanogen7(Mod) animation screen now but it doesn't go any further. I'm getting there.

Sorted. Cheers for the help lads.... Just reinstalled clockworkmod and then the Rom and it seemed to do the trick.

Android 2.3 gingerbread on a €40 phone. iPhone, how are ya? :)

Phone seems to be a lot more responsive and quicker. I'd still rather the Blade though but this will do for a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

can i throw an 085 card into this?

Yes, if it is unlocked. Any sim will/should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

sorry what i meant is, does it come unlocked.

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    sorry what i meant is, does it come unlocked.

No it's locked to Three.

I read on the Three forum that they will give people unlock codes now for free. I don't know if you have to wait a couple of months, but since you're not under a contract then there shouldn't be a problem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oh really? how does one apply :D

• Advertisement

Android 2.3 gingerbread on a €40 phone. iPhone, how are ya? :)

The only thing holding it back is the small screen/resolution amazing for the money though. Glad you got it sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement