Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap prepay android phone(samsung europa) 39€

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

spiochu1 wrote: »

I wouldn't go for it at that price, you're in reach of other (better) phones IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Has anybody been able to root I5500? I must have got some
    strange version because Universal Androot (3 different versions), z4root
    and SuperOneClick all failed :(

It is a cool little phone but unfortunately
    doesn't get as much attention as his
    bigger brothers (sisters?) Galaxy S and S2.

Baseband: I5500NEJP2
    FROYO.XWJQ3

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jokeman

zarafiq wrote: »
    "... SuperOneClick all failed :( ..."

You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode
    You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed
    Make sure you DO NOT mount your SD card.
    If you still can't get something to run, try doing it in recovery mode.

Thanks for replying. The SD card was mounted - will try without it tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

kin9pin wrote: »
    I saw that, but when I selected an iphone showing €30pm it switched back to €40pm on the next page.
    Maybe I did something wrong?

No, you didnt. That was a glitch in their system. They have fixed that now and the only phone that will now be available at the €30 tarriff for 18 & 24 month contracts, is the Sony Ericsson Experia Arc.The phone is free on the 24 month contract.The other 3 are only available on the 18 month contract. Thats the top phone Sony have at present & better IMO than the HTCs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

No, you didnt. That was a glitch in their system. They have fixed that now and the only phone that will now be available at the €30 tarriff is the Sony Ericsson Experia Arc. Thats the top phone Sony have at present & better IMO than the HTCs.

eh no
    http://www.phonegg.com/compare/27/Sony-Ericsson-XPERIA-Arc-vs-HTC-Sensation.html

Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-I5500 in Peats for 49.95
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=28603&type=product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

There's now an official version of Clockworkmod Recovery available through ROM Manager. No need to flash anything through ODIN anymore.

Unless you're flashing back to a stock ROM, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

zarafiq wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy Europa GT-I5500 in Peats for 49.95
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=28603&type=product

Delivery brings the price to €57.90.

• Advertisement

Here is a well written guide for unlocking the phone:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=19112680&postcount=1

Note: Your phone does need to be rooted. This is easily done by installing Universal Androot here. (Transfer it to your SD card through USB if downloading it to your computer, install the app, and root your phone.)

The guide above is written for the Samsung GT-S5570. The steps are the exact same for our Galaxy Europa. The only thing I would change is the search string near the end of the guide to:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Then search the code twice. You will then find your unlock code a couple of lines down.

I recommend doing Method 2 as it is easier. It only requires you to install a Terminal Emulator onto your phone.

jokeman wrote: »
    You NEED to put your phone on USB Debugging mode
    You NEED to install make sure the Android drivers for your phone are installed
    Make sure you DO NOT mount your SD card.
    If you still can't get something to run, try doing it in recovery mode.

Thanks jokeman,

Phone is rooted - Super One Click worked like a charm.
    I also unlocked it and flashed Cyanogenmod 7.1 :D
    Sweet!

Could somebody tell me how hard is is to build and install
    a kernel from Samsung (or other) source?

Note: Your phone does need to be rooted. This is easily done by installing Universal Androot here. (Transfer it to your SD card through USB if downloading it to your computer, install the app, and root your phone.)

The guide above is written for the Samsung GT-S5570. The steps are the exact same for our Galaxy Europa. The only thing I would change is the search string near the end of the guide to:
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

Then search the code twice. You will then find your unlock code a couple of lines down.

I recommend doing Method 2 as it is easier. It only requires you to install a Terminal Emulator onto your phone.

Thanks mate I bought a second Europa and unlocked it myself with this! I regret paying FastGSM the €7 I paid with my first Europa. Really easy to do. The only problem I had was when typing "su" and I didn't see I needed to go back to my phone to allow superuser access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I have got the Terminal app and granted super access.. But now I don't know what to type in the terminal?... Tried copying what was on the image but didnt work... How do i get that bml5.img ? Or something like that I am missing...

I have got the Terminal app and granted super access.. But now I don't know what to type in the terminal?... Tried copying what was on the image but didnt work... How do i get that bml5.img ? Or something like that I am missing...

Type in:

cat /dev/block/bml5.img>/sdcard/bml5.img

There is a single space after 'cat'. The rest is written altogether. It is important you type it in properly. Be sure you have an sd card inserted into your phone as well.

That will copy the bml5.img file onto the root of your sd card. From there, transfer it to your computer, open it with a Hex Editor. Search the long string above, and the code will be a couple of lines down.

You will see a bunch of zeros or y's, and your unlock code will be the first eight different digits you see.

Type in:

cat /dev/block/bml5.img>/sdcard/bml5.img

There is a single space after 'cat'. The rest is written altogether. It is important you type it in properly. Be sure you have an sd card inserted into your phone as well.

That will copy the bml5.img file onto the root of your sd card. From there, transfer it to your computer, open it with a Hex Editor. Search the long string above, and the code will be a couple of lines down.

You will see a bunch of zeros, and your unlock code will be the first eight different digits you see.

Ohh right yeah I have it now.. Taught I needed to use phone again... Will get back if I have more issues.. Thanks for help :D

EDIT: is there one of them programmes for mac that I would need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Think I just bricked mine by installing wrong ClockworkMode through ROM Manager. Won't boot into recovery nor normal mode either. Any way out of this?

Think I just bricked mine by installing wrong ClockworkMode through ROM Manager. Won't boot into recovery nor normal mode either. Any way out of this?

Did you just pick a random phone from the list?

Afraid you can't repair it yourself. You'll have to send it back for repairs.

It's a bit late now, but here is a guide for installing Clockworkmod should you get your phone in full working order:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1151396

It's a bit late now, but here is a guide for installing Clockworkmod should you get your phone in full working order:

Hey, do you know how I can use Hex Fiend on Mac or what other software I could use and if so how I could use it :/

• Advertisement

Hey, do you know how I can use Hex Fiend on Mac or what other software I could use and if so how I could use it :/

I never worked with Macs before so everything I say is probably stupid and useless. :)

Download Hex Fiend if you don't have it already.

Just open the bml5.img file inside it, hopefully by going to 'Open' and then finding the file.

Try to find something that says 'Search String', or 'Search substring', or even 'Search'.

Type in the long code - Make sure It is searches from the very beginning of the file. And search it as a 'Hex String' if given the option.

It will find the search string. Search the same string again. Then your code will be a few lines down.

I never worked with Macs before so everything I say is probably stupid and useless. :)

Download Hex Fiend if you don't have it already.

Just open the bml5.img file inside it, hopefully by going to 'Open' and then finding the file.

Try to find something that says 'Search String', or 'Search substring', or even 'Search'.

Type in the long code - Make sure It is searches from the very beginning of the file. And search it as a 'Hex String' if given the option.

It will find the search string. Search the same string again. Then your code will be a few lines down.

That don't seem to work so downloaded 010 Editor or something.. Copied someones Samsung Infuse link but my file type aint the same... Heres the info

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/07/20/how-to-unlock-samsung-infuse-4g-i997-unlock-att-samsung-infuse-4g-to-use-on-t-mobile-unlock-codes-samsung-i997-unlock-instructions/

I have never used one of these programmes.. Just googling to see what am I doing wrong :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Thanks for the quick reply. Excuse the Captain Obvious, but does "send it back for repairs" mean send it back to Three?

That don't seem to work so downloaded 010 Editor or something.. Copied someones Samsung Infuse link but my file type aint the same... Heres the info

http://www.traemcneely.com/2011/07/20/how-to-unlock-samsung-infuse-4g-i997-unlock-att-samsung-infuse-4g-to-use-on-t-mobile-unlock-codes-samsung-i997-unlock-instructions/

I have never used one of these programmes.. Just googling to see what am I doing wrong :L

Were you able to get the bml5.img at all?

It should just be the case that you can open the file.

Thanks for the quick reply. Excuse the Captain Obvious, but does "send it back for repairs" mean send it back to Three?

Yeah it does.

I don't know anything about voiding warranty by installing Clockworkmod or anything, I don't know if you'll have to pay or not.

Were you able to get the bml5.img at all?

It should just be the case that you can open the file.

Yeah I have it on desktop and the phone.. Maybe I done a step wrong near start that gave me a falso bml5.img? Or is that even possible..

• Advertisement

Yeah I have it on desktop and the phone.. Maybe I done a step wrong near start that gave me a falso bml5.img? Or is that even possible..

If you're running Cyanogenmod, then it's possible it will create a 'dummy' file that contains 0 bytes of memory.

What filesize is your bml5.img?

If you're running Cyanogenmod, then it's possible it will create a 'dummy' file that contains 0 bytes of memory.

What filesize is your bml5.img?

0kb :confused: Do I go back a few steps then and retry it?

0kb :confused: Do I go back a few steps then and retry it?

Yep, that's a dummy file.

You'll have to start again.

Are you running Cyanogenmod? Because you can't get the bml5.img if you're running Cyanogenmod.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bye bye this horrible, piece of junk.
    Worst phone I've ever had.
    Screen size and processor speed make this impossible to use android properly.

Envirophone are giving me €16 for it which is too much imo.

My new Sony Experia Play is the nuts.

Yep, that's a dummy file.

You'll have to start again.

Are you running Cyanogenmod? Because you can't get the bml5.img if you're running Cyanogenmod.

Nope am not, just have Remote ADB (don't know why) Terminal Emulator and Superuser Permission..

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »
    Bye bye this horrible, piece of junk.
    Worst phone I've ever had.
    Screen size and processor speed make this impossible to use android properly.

Envirophone are giving me €16 for it which is too much imo.

My new Sony Experia Play is the nuts.

Ah now, for the price we couldn't expect much.

I'll take it for free. :D Will cover postage.

Getting error saying no such file or directory.. Just going to delete everything and start from scratch lol.

EDIT: just found the bml file again.. I give up, it's 0kb again :(

Nope am not, just have Remote ADB (don't know why) Terminal Emulator and Superuser Permission..

That's okay. Not having Cyanogenmod makes it much easier.

Well then. . .

Open up Terminal Emulator.

Type in:
    su

This time, Don't bother typing in any of the codes below as they're probably useless, and you're better off reading the next post.
    /dev/block/bml5.img>/sdcard/bml5.img

You might notice it's the same code you had to type earlier, but without the 'cat' at the start.

Exit Terminal Emulator and check to see you have bml5.img on your sd card. Then check the filesize! It will make this process easier then. It should be a couple of MB.

Other codes you could try through Terminal Emulator, after typing SU, are:
    cat /dev/bml5.img>/sdcard/bml5.img

/dev/bml5.img>/sdcard/bml5.img

Just check the bml5.img filesize afterwards. Deleting it if it has nothing.

EDIT: If it says 'No such file or directory', then it's going to create bml5.img without memory. So try the other codes above afterwards.

AH!

Try this code!
    cat /dev/block/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img

Leave out the '.img' on the first bml5.

I just read one of my own posts from xda developers and that's what I did.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17850634&postcount=405

Sorry for giving you the workaround.

AH!

Try this code!
    cat /dev/block/bml5>/sdcard/bml5.img

Leave out the '.img' on the first bml5.

I just read one of my own posts from xda developers and that's what I did.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=17850634&postcount=405

Sorry for giving you the workaround.

Thank you sir, yeah file is 25mb about :).. Now to see will this programme work.. Thanks for all the help appreciate it alot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

When you do get the bml5.img file then Hex Fiend does open it on a Mac and let you find the string with the unlock code. Hope you get it sorted.

Edit: yeah, the bml5.img file I pulled was 25.4MB so yours sounds right.

Thank you sir, yeah file is 25mb about :).. Now to see will this programme work.. Thanks for all the help appreciate it alot :D

Yeah, that file shall work now.

Now let's see if you can find the code. Don't let all the numbers and letters put you off. :)

Yeah, that file shall work now.

Now let's see if you can find the code. Don't let all the numbers and letters put you off. :)

Yeah theres my new problem.. What exactly am i looking for?.. The same code you posted before 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 FF FF FF FF something like that?.. And does it have to be repeated again or what?

Yeah theres my new problem.. What exactly am i looking for?.. The same code you posted before 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 FF FF FF FF something like that?.. And does it have to be repeated again or what?

Yeah, 20 x 00, a 05, and 7 x FF.

Search it from the very top. You will get a result. Then search it again.

Yeah, 20 x 00, a 05, and 7 x FF.

Search it from the very top. You will get a result. Then search it again.

Says no occurencies of 00 00 00 etc..

• Advertisement

Says no occurencies of 00 00 00 etc..

Try a longer version.

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

14 x FF's instead.

Try a longer version.

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 05 FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

14 x FF's instead.

Still a no go :( This phone just wants to be thrown in the bin lol ..

You got this far, you might as well finish. :D

It's just difficult to describe as I've never used the program you're using.

Sometimes you're given the option of searching as a 'Text String' or 'Hex String'. Make sure it's a 'Hex String'.

Make sure it's Case Sensitive if given the option.

Search it from the beginning if given the option.

Search it downwards if given the option.

Like I said, I've never used the program, so that's the best help I can give you.

Why don't you upload the file somewhere can we can have a look for you? Would that work? It's only 25mb so it could be uploaded to megaupload or something similar.

Why don't you upload the file somewhere can we can have a look for you? Would that work? It's only 25mb so it could be uploaded to megaupload or something similar.

No reason why it wouldn't. Great idea. :D

Just after trying on a Windows laptop too.. Never worked.. Will send file in 5mins well at least I will try :p

This is what mine looks like. The greeny bit is the string you're searching for. The red bits are the code you want. Obviously, I've covered over my code with heavy red but in the mass of text on the left you get a string like this:

FFFF3132 33343536 3738FFFF

Then the red bit over on the right repeats part of that. It drops the initial 3s and lists the other numbers, like this:

In that case, your unlock code is 12345678. Mine is an 8-digit number.

181552.jpg

This is what mine looks like. The greeny bit is the string you're searching for. The red bits are the code you want. Obviously, I've covered over my code with heavy red but in the mass of text on the left you get a string like this:

FFFF3132 33343536 3738FFFF

Then the red bit over on the right repeats part of that. It drops the initial 3s and lists the other numbers, like this:

In that case, you're unlock code is 12345678. Mine is an 8-digit number.

181552.jpg

Im still confused by that lol ..

Lol There was me thinking I was making it easier :)

Probably best if you upload it so.

• Advertisement

Haha, well the best bet is to upload it. Then we can have a race to get your code. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement