Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stomach tattoo and stretching

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks!

I'm thinking of getting my first tattoo on my very lower side stomach(2-4 paw prints), but I was just wondering about the whole stretching issue.

Firstly I am certain I'm not going to be having kids and I'm in very good shape(athletic size 6)

Is a lower stomach tattoo more likely to stretch over time than most? Would it look awful when I'm say 50ish or so?

Also how long does healing take(ie how long do I have to wait before pool swimming)

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

Hiya ,i have two tattoos on my lower stomach i've had them for about 4 years now.My weight has gone up and down quite a lot in that time, they did stretch a bit when i put on weight but once i got the weight off they returned to normal . The one thing i would say is be careful what you wear for a couple of weeks after you get it done when i got the first one done my work uniform rubbed of it a lot while it was healing and i had to get it touched up so just be aware of that . Your tattoo artist will tell you about aftercare but they usually advise to say away from water for a couple of weeks maybe 2-4 or at least until it's fully healed .:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm thinking of getting my first tattoo on my very lower side stomach(2-4 paw prints), but I was just wondering about the whole stretching issue.

Firstly I am certain I'm not going to be having kids and I'm in very good shape(athletic size 6)

Is a lower stomach tattoo more likely to stretch over time than most?

Unless you're talking serious swings in weight involving sudden, dramatic weight loss then I think worrying about visible changes to the tattoo in the sense of 'stretching' is not necessary for most people.

If you're a size 6 now and in good shape then unless you envisage yourself seriously going to pot I wouldn't let it colour your decision regarding placement at all.
    Would it look awful when I'm say 50ish or so?

Tough one to answer. Tattoos do fade and blur gently over time, undeniably. This is mitigated by a number of factors-

1. How good your tattooist was.
    2. The use of modern ink and tattoo machinery.
    3. How well you've taken care of the tattoo to prolong its looks ... Immediate aftercare and in the long run by applying sunblock etc.

Might it look a little more faded and blurry when you're 50? Possibly... It'll certainly be more muted and softer-looking... But you'll probably be a little more wrinkled overall at 50 anyway :pac: My take on it is that I'd rather have a kick-ass tattoo that I'll enjoy for decades before I'm old and wrinkled. By the time I'm old and wrinkled I probably won't care, and I'd rather be an old dude with some interesting (if faded) tattoos than be old, tattoo-free and still pretty wrinkled.
    Also how long does healing take(ie how long do I have to wait before pool swimming)

Probably best to ask your artist on this. People heal at different rates but I wouldn't going into a pool or shower or otherwise saturating a new tattoo with water for at least the first couple of weeks. You'll be washing in the meantime, sure, but not submerging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

Mogget wrote: »
    Firstly I am certain I'm not going to be having kids

famous last words ;)
    Is a lower stomach tattoo more likely to stretch over time than most? Would it look awful when I'm say 50ish or so?

my friend has stars starting on her hips and going right down, covers a massive area! two babies later they look faded but not stretched! :) how many poeple are going to see your belly when you're 50 ;)
    Also how long does healing take(ie how long do I have to wait before pool swimming

I was told not to go into a chlorinated pool for 12 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

Thanks for all the answers folks:)

Suppose I'd better wait a few weeks to get it done as i'll be in swimming pools a lot at the end of this month:rolleyes:
    Sparkles:) wrote: »
    famous last words ;)

I'm 28 and have never wanted a child.No interest in any babies/kids(nieces and nephews included),happy not to be around them.
    I'm never going to change my mind because I know what I want from my life with 100% certainty and that does not include kids. I feel very lucky that I realise what I want and I love my life:)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

heehee i was only joking! I don't want kids either and have yet to meet a woman in real life that doesnt say "famous last words" ha

good luck with the tattoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Mogget

Sparkles:) wrote: »
    heehee i was only joking! I don't want kids either and have yet to meet a woman in real life that doesnt say "famous last words" ha

good luck with the tattoo!

Oh gosh I know you were only joking, sorry if I came off a bit defensive,its a natural reaction at this stage:o:o

Dont worry,there are a few more of us childfree-ers out there,we just tend to stay off the radar to avoid confrontation;)

Advertisement