Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Achtung Baby 20th Anniversary re-issue - £385.00

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Yes, three hundred & eighty five pounds. OK it's the uber delux edition with ten disks, but are they effin nuts ???

Even the super delux version at £106 is beyond the reach of most people.

The double disk re-issue is £16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

$$$$$

And here's me thinking they had enough money all ready - nice try U2 but no thanks from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Surely worth it for The Fly shades alone ... ok maybe not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I'm not sure about them reworking unreleased stuff. Those Achtung Baby demos that were doing the rounds at the time (which I still have on cassette) had their moments but you can be sure that the best stuff all made it onto the album. Maybe they recorded some gems which weren't bootlegged, we can only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

I am not going to buy it on the principle that all taxes on publishing rights are going into the Dutch coffers instead of ours. After all those years of U2 being totally exempt from paying taxes on publishing rights.
    Ireland could do with those taxes now, just the same as U2 needed the support of Irish working class people when they were starting out in the early 80s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Easy to see how U2 have alienated their fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

Band of the people :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I am not going to buy it on the principle that all taxes on publishing rights are going into the Dutch coffers instead of ours. After all those years of U2 being totally exempt from paying taxes on publishing rights.
    Ireland could do with those taxes now, just the same as U2 needed the support of Irish working class people when they were starting out in the early 80s.

Was about to post something similar but I couldnt have put it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I’ll be avoiding this purely for musical reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mielzi

Get over the tax issue, old news :P

It's a great collection to be fair, though, considering I just bought Springsteen's Darkness boxset, don't think I'll be getting this :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The Super Deluxe is down to £75 on Amazon.co.uk

Not a bad price for six CDs and four DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The box-set is a rip-off but then I'm not a huge fan of the album.

U2 bring in plenty of money to the Irish exchequer each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

10 discs of what???? The album was only about 50 minutes long, hhahahaha
    fair play bono

10 discs of what???? The album was only about 50 minutes long, hhahahaha
    fair play bono

55 minutes

1) The album
    2) Zooropa
    3), 4) and 5) - Remixes and b-sides
    6) Demos

Don't have the DVD specs to hand but believe they include the Sydney gig, a new documentary and all the promo videos.

I don't like the fact that Zooropa is included - it should have got a standalone release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Have had a listen to all six disks now & have to say it's very disapointing.

The remixes have mostly been available before. Zooropa shouldn't be there, it's a standalone album, not a part 2. The original album is a little punchier. The Kindergarden album which features softer "baby" versions of the original album is interesting, but nothing more than a couple of listens.

Actually, the Cover album given away free on this month's Q magazine would have been a much better inclusion in this pack than Zooropa. I's a great album & one I've listened to a couple of times at this point & can see myself returning to several times.

The DVDs I can't comment on, but I don't think there's anything there that's not available elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I don't think I could justify spending that much on any piece of music unless it was a rare collectable item I could sell off at a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

That's crazy money, won't be buying that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Yeah, didn't spend it.

The Super Deluxe arrived from Amazon today.

Straight to the remixes on disc 2. Winner.

Sound isn't too loud or brickwalled which is good.

While a lot of the content has been available before, all I own from this period of U2 is vinyl versions of Achtung Baby and Zooropa. No DVDs or singles/remixes so their inclusion is welcome.

Censored penis though - not cool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

greedy guts :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I don't get how a band can charge you money for something deemed unusable at the time of it's recording, it's smacks of a "our fans will buy anything with our name on it" mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Censored penis though - not cool.
    This deserves further explanation :).

Malice wrote: »
    This deserves further explanation :).

Original LP sleeve: the ninth panel on the reverse has a naked Adam Clayton with a circle drawn around the cock.

Super Deluxe box: the ninth panel on the reverse has a naked Adam Clayton with a big thick X around the cock.

A case of "disrespect the cock"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

'We've got to go away for a while and dream this whole thing up all over again"

Certainly did ya money hungry pig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I bought the cd when first released for 13 squid,thought that was expensive then!.

Great album musically, do you really need all the extras?

Advertisement