Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin from NYC

Options
  • 04-08-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all, I am looking for suggestions on where to get an apartment in Dublin city based on my situation... I just recently moved to Dublin from NYC -- my company is located on Harcourt Street. I will be moving in with my boyfriend and he is working in Tallaght. Neither of us have a car right now so being very close to the red LUAS line is top on our list (5 min or less walking distance is preferable).

I had a look at a few places along the red luas line and felt that they were quite far from the liveliness of what I am used to... (Kingswood, Rialto, Fatima areas). A quiet abode amidst the city lifestyle would be great... walking outside to see people, bars/restaurants/cafes, shops, etc.

I had a look around Harcourt street area, and Jervis areas and thought it was lovely, however, it would be great to find a similar area where the commute a bit quicker for my boyfriend...

Please let me know your thoughts! Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

amandausa wrote: »
    I had a look at a few places along the red luas line and felt that they were quite far from the liveliness of what I am used to... (Kingswood, Rialto, Fatima areas). A quiet abode amidst the city lifestyle would be great... walking outside to see people, bars/restaurants/cafes, shops, etc.

Now you do know Harcourt St is on the Green Line Luas and Tallaght is on the Red Line? And they aren't connected.

I'd recommend Fatima/Rialto, but others will disagree with me. You'd walk from there to Harcourt St in about 30 mins. Luas from there to Tallaght takes about 35 mins or so.

Another place to look at would be Kilmainham/Inchicore, close to the Blackhorse luas stop which goes to Tallaght, probably walk to Harcourt in about 45 mins max or otherwise you can get the 19 bus from Bulfin Rd which leaves you 2 mins away from Harcourt St.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭amandausa

Thanks! I do know that Harcourt is on the green line, hence the issue I am having finding a suitable "middle ground" -- I don't mind walking to work and that seems to be the best comprimise. I will check out the areas that you mentioned!

With regard to Rialto, I basically got off at the LUAS stop there and walked South Circular Road to Harcourt street... there was not much going on and this was mid-day... so I can imagine the evening is not much better -- ideally, I'd like a more lively area; plus if I am going to be walking home in the evening, I always feel more comfortable when there are lots of people around...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

With regard to Rialto, I basically got off at the LUAS stop there and walked South Circular Road to Harcourt street... there was not much going on and this was mid-day... so I can imagine the evening is not much better -- ideally, I'd like a more lively area; plus if I am going to be walking home in the evening, I always feel more comfortable when there are lots of people around...

Mid-day people would be in work, school, etc... I don't live to far from SCR, Harcourt St or Rialto and well it's always "busy" from what I've seen. Only time I've ever seen it dead would be when I used to walk home from work on a Sunday night at about 10.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

I'd advise spending a lot of time in Rialto if you are considering living around there. Hang around at night etc. And if this is not an option, then maybe reconsider. Some people are happy there, but there's a reason why rents and house prices are higher in other areas.

If you can, maybe check out somewhere like Ranelagh/Rathmines? Nice area, lots of amenities. close to town and can walk to Harcourt St, or take the Luas. And, I think, the 65 and other buses pass through Rathmines and nearby on the way from town to Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I would second Rathmines/Ranelagh.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I will look to see what is available there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Tusky wrote: »
    I would second Rathmines/Ranelagh.

I would too Ranelagh/Milltown/Ballbridge/Dundrum/Donnybrook all on or right beside the luas and 5/10mins from City Center.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If you're looking for lively vibe, Rathmines or indeed Ranelagh could be your place. Rathmines is more ethic-studenty, and Ranelagh a little more on the artsy-posh side. You could walk into work and your boyfriend could cycle to the red Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

mhge wrote: »
    If you're looking for lively vibe, Rathmines or indeed Ranelagh could be your place. Rathmines is more ethic-studenty, and Ranelagh a little more on the artsy-posh side. You could walk into work and your boyfriend could cycle to the red Luas.

Or depending on where he works in tallaght he could take a tallaght bus from Rathmines : http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/65/ It's another option!

Thanks! He works right beside the Square... does the 65 bus stop by there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I'd never leave myself relying on just one bus for my daily commute so for that reason I'd go for a place in Portobello/The Liberties/Blackpitts where you have a large choice of routes going to Tallaght. It's a quick walk from there to Harcourt St too and cheaper than Ranelagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks! He works right beside the Square... does the 65 bus stop by there?

Yeah, but I would try and rely on the Luas rather than that service which can be infrequent and slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Harold's Cross would be good for your needs.

10 mins walk to Harcourt St, 5 mins walk to Rathmines.

Could get 54a, 49/49a to Tallaght, 65/65B from Rathmines.

As I said, 5 mins walk to Rathmines, buzzy enough place, maybe 15 mins walk to Ranelagh, 10 mins walk to Wexford St, Camden St (alternative and non-alternative pubs).

Get a place close to the Canal (Mount Drummond, Harold's Cross Cottages). Sorted!

Thank you all so much! this is very helpful!h

Birneybau wrote: »
    Harold's Cross would be good for your needs.

10 mins walk to Harcourt St, 5 mins walk to Rathmines.

Could get 54a, 49/49a to Tallaght, 65/65B from Rathmines.

As I said, 5 mins walk to Rathmines, buzzy enough place, maybe 15 mins walk to Ranelagh, 10 mins walk to Wexford St, Camden St (alternative and non-alternative pubs).

Get a place close to the Canal (Mount Drummond, Harold's Cross Cottages). Sorted!

OK I found a map that shows the bus routes - so, the 54a, 49/49a can be picked up on Harolds Cross Road right? It looks like then they go to the Square in Tallaght. Do you know how long this ride would take approximately?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

OK I found a map that shows the bus routes - so, the 54a, 49/49a can be picked up on Harolds Cross Road right? It looks like then they go to the Square in Tallaght. Do you know how long this ride would take approximately?

Hey, should'nt take more than 30-40 mins. Most traffic would be heading in towards the city in the morning, those buses would be going in the opposite direction.

Not bad. Thanks!

What are your thoughts on living around the Jervis LUAS stop area? I was walking around there today and it seemed nice. Sort of reminded me of Battery Park City vibe :) ... anyway, it would be about a 40 min ride to Tallaght Sq from there so similar to the bus ride from Harolds Cross...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What are your thoughts on living around the Jervis LUAS stop area? I was walking around there today and it seemed nice. Sort of reminded me of Battery Park City vibe :) ... anyway, it would be about a 40 min ride to Tallaght Sq from there so similar to the bus ride from Harolds Cross...
    I wouldn't really use the word "nice" TBH. Lots of social housing around there. Capel street which is close has often been looked down on as a "rough" street, but recently it's become very ethnic and quite interesting.

How about Temple Bar. Very lively though, bear that in mind. Or any of the apartments along the river. The entire area down by the IFSC is full of new apartments and not a huge walk to Harcourt street.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Down around Smithfield isn't too bad. People will disagree with that, but the square area is okay, I wouldn't live past that to be honest. There are loads of new apartments down there so the chances are you're actual apartment would be nicer than some of the usual stuff found in the other areas mentioned.

I think that would be better than the IFSC as the LUAS journey from the IFSC is quite frustratingly slow going past O'Connell Street and Jervis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Yea I'd have to second the above post. Have a look at places in Smithfield/Arbour Hill/Stoneybatter near the Smithfield and Museum Luas stops. That way he'll be right on the luas line and you'll be about 30 mins walk from Harcourt St. You'll get better value for your money around here compared to the Southside as well.

OK thanks, I will do that. Good to know about the Jervis area -- many thanks for all of this helpful info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

The area around Jervis is fine to shop and work in, and some nice restaurants there in Italian part in recent years. But since there are so many other placs to live in, I wouldn't choose that area to live. Junkies begging at the luas ticket machine etc would annoy after a while, for starters.

Advertisement